The XFL will need its own section if it comes back.

chargerbuckeye

14 minutes ago, biletnikoff said:

Define failure...

No one cares about womens pro basketball but someone keeps funding it. 

The first XFLwas a failure. 

McMahon's attempt to start a league to actually compete with the NFL was a failure. 

This will be the same. 

I m interested to see what the new product will be.  If it fails, McMahon takes the financial loss.  In the first incarnation of the XFL, he had the support of D. Ebersol who at the time was  pretty powerful guy im TV.  I expect McMahon to have a well thought out plan, we 'll see if it is successful.

We've had a nice debate about the merits of the league existing at all but since its been announced that it will have 8 cities, how bout discussing some options?

New York City for obvious reasons. I'd put the team in Yankee Stadium if possible and be the only pro football in the city. 

Orlando-Supported team in 2001 and only has NBA/MLS as competition while being a growing market

Oakland-Bay area is good for TV and Raiders will have just moved. 

San Diego-Capitalize on loss of Chargers

St. Louis-See San Diego

Los Angeles-I'd avoid LA given that two NFL teams just moved there 

Chicago-You almost have to go to Chicago despite a lack of support in the past (both for the XFL and USFL) but maybe use the Chicago Fire's MLS stadium or Nothwestern's stadium so you aren't playing in an empty Soldier Field. 

Many other possibilities exist of course but you probably need a few more major cities (Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, DC, Boston, etc...) to be taken seriously as a TV product and a national league. 

I love that we have holier-than-thou people in this thread talking about boycotting the XFL due to its "human trash" owner. Meanwhile, these people have no problem with watching a National Football League filled with woman-beating, drunk-driving, pro-cop-killing thugs. SMfreakin'H.

But, yes, I'll give the XFL a shot. With the NFL deciding to side decisively with the political left, this has created a gap in the market. Vince McMahon and company are looking to plug that gap with the XFL. This is the most vulnerable the NFL's been, at least in modern times, so if ever there was a time for an alternative league to rise up and steal some of the NFL's viewer base, this is it.

Remember: there's a fine line between competing with the NFL, and being a success. They're not going to come in and compete with the NFL from day one. It's not happening. Anyone who thinks whether or not they do is the benchmark for success doesn't understand business.

The real benchmark will be if they can survive. Will the potential growth be enough to stick through the initial losses?

If they can survive, they have the opportunity to grow, and to chip away at the NFL in the coming years. Increased ratings. Increased prestige. Increased broadcast fees. Increased player salaries. Increased talent.

19 minutes ago, Jared Jammer said:

But, yes, I'll give the XFL a shot. With the NFL deciding to side decisively with the political left, this has created a gap in the market. Vince McMahon and company are looking to plug that gap with the XFL. This is the most vulnerable the NFL's been, at least in modern times, so if ever there was a time for an alternative league to rise up and steal some of the NFL's viewer base, this is it.

What a ridiculous statement. The NFL didn't side "decisively with the political left"....The NFL lets its players be citizens of a free country....and the idiot in the White House who doesn't care for freedom (and has a personal grudge against the NFL because it was smart enough that it did not let a money laundering con man into their club) used it as a wedge issue to rile up his racist base (that also prefers less freedom). That is an America problem, not an NFL problem. 

8 minutes ago, youngosu said:

What a ridiculous statement. The NFL didn't side "decisively with the political left"....The NFL lets its players be citizens of a free country....and the idiot in the White House who doesn't care for freedom (and has a personal grudge against the NFL because it was smart enough that it did not let a money laundering con man into their club) used it as a wedge issue to rile up his racist base (that also prefers less freedom). That is an America problem, not an NFL problem. 

I like how the NFL which has blackballed Kaepernick is being described as aligning “decisively” with the political left. 

46 minutes ago, youngosu said:

Many other possibilities exist of course but you probably need a few more major cities (Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, DC, Boston, etc...) to be taken seriously as a TV product and a national league

Houston and Dallas would be tough - Jerruh had a hard time conceding the Texans to the league as is, he'd find some legal loopholes to keep Vince out. Bob McNair would probably play a similar game. Vince doesn't want to sully the relationship with those two either, he's quick to use their facilities for his marquee shows.

San Antonio comes off as an ideal location - only one competitor in terms of pro sports in the Spurs, and a population that's dying for more pro sports (the Raiders to San Antonio rumor was a hot topic for a while, even after Las Vegas was chosen). Vince could get a quick return on a San Antonio team.

You can make a similar claim for Portland, too.

future stars of the XFL:
Tim Tebow
Riley Cooper
Richie Incognito
Bill Romanowski
That Sandy Hook truther tight end from the Packers
hologram Aaron Hernandez
Steve Austin's character from The Longest Yard
all the living scab players from the 1987 strike
Based Stickman

Also Peyton Hillis will be on the cover of every video game. 

2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

There's a reason I haven't watched more than an hour of WWE in 5 years.

"Nobody with a criminal record is allowed in my league" if people knew half the crap Vince has done he'd be on the express train to hell.

He's also a hypocrite of the highest order considering how much of the top of his stable he's let back in with criminal records.

While this is all true...none of it matters. No one cares about how you view Vince McMahon the person. They want to see what he can do with a new league and competition is always a good thing.

14 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Houston and Dallas would be tough - Jerruh had a hard time conceding the Texans to the league as is, he'd find some legal loopholes to keep Vince out. Bob McNair would probably play a similar game. Vince doesn't want to sully the relationship with those two either, he's quick to use their facilities for his marquee shows.

San Antonio comes off as an ideal location - only one competitor in terms of pro sports in the Spurs, and a population that's dying for more pro sports (the Raiders to San Antonio rumor was a hot topic for a while, even after Las Vegas was chosen). Vince could get a quick return on a San Antonio team.

You can make a similar claim for Portland, too.

Yeah, I agree with Portland and San Antonio and think they could be options but I just don't know how you run an 8 team national league without at least 4 major markets (top 10) so if you leave LA out (and I would) you accept that Chicago probably won't be great but is needed, you take NYC, and Oakland (an obvious choice) you'd still need one more.  At the end of the day I think at least 4 major markets will be selected (in 2001 it was LA, NY, SF, and Chicago). Odds are he will put a team in LA I just wouldn't so I was trying to figure out some other options. 

I guess you could just take the same markets as in 2001 with switching out Las Vegas for another city and probably be okay. San Francisco actually led the league in attendance. And honestly with the 49ers no longer in SF I could see them embrace a team again. 

2 minutes ago, youngosu said:

Yeah, I agree with Portland and San Antonio and think they could be options but I just don't know how you run an 8 team national league without at least 4 major markets (top 10) so if you leave LA out (and I would) you accept that Chicago probably won't be great but is needed, you take NYC, and Oakland (an obvious choice) you'd still need one more.  At the end of the day I think at least 4 major markets will be selected (in 2001 it was LA, NY, SF, and Chicago). Odds are he will put a team in LA I just wouldn't so I was trying to figure out some other options. 

I think if you cover Chicago and NY, you're good on that. LA on the west coast and you've got the major markets covered. 

Edit - I think Vince is also seeing the value of social media and streaming services such as Hulu or Netflix. Actual media markets are irrelevant if you're looking to grab an audience that would prefer to stream.

Any chance that Vince hits up Mexico City or Toronto?

1 hour ago, RollEagles said:

The first XFLwas a failure. 

McMahon's attempt to start a league to actually compete with the NFL was a failure. 

This will be the same. 

Lol no one was trying to compete with the nfl then or now. People get it now. They understand this is supposed to be it's' own thing. Again, the publics money isn' funding the wnba, something else is. He may have linked to.the same source. I don't care if it lasts or not..but this time I'll buy mini helmets and t shirts ! Lol 

Archived