The XFL will need its own section if it comes back.

chargerbuckeye

7 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Disagree. Vince McMahon is incapable of sharing the spotlight. He'll build it up and then go all in on overtaking the NFL. Either the NFL will crush him or he'll pull off the biggest upset in sports history. It's an either or. These guys don't want to share

Okay, so lets say you are right, he only wins if he delivers a better product so why would you root against getting a better product? What sense does that make? Do you own an NFL team? If the answer is yes than I get your stance, if its no than it makes no sense to me. BTW, those aren't the only 2 options, we could end up with 2 successful leagues giving us good football nearly year round or they could merge. 

Your stance indicates to me that you might think the AAFC and AFL must have been bad for the NFL. I'd argue quite the opposite. Even the XFL of 2001 improved the NFL product. 

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

When the primary reason NFL ratings are down is due to bad play and people more and more are disinterested in the idea of a combat sport?

10 years ago was a good time to do it. Now? He'd need to bleed himself dry just to get things in place to even get the league to a level where it's not immediately insolvent. Streaming is not the magic media fix to cure all ails of low viewership or market interest. People aren't going to want to watch G-tier college back-ups and never weres play in a terrible league in Birmingham Alabama or Dover Delaware or wherever he can get the cheapest venue.

Manziel won't go to the XFL, it's not launching for another 2 years, at least, and he has the CFL right there if he wants to play. They'll probably pay him better.

Manziel has been actively working towards getting himself clean and doing things necessary so that the CFL lifts the ban on him from playing the CFL (which was done last month).  The Hamilton Ti-Cats own the rights to sign Manziel and right now are negotiating on a contract details.  He definitely wants to play in the CFL.... something Tim Tebow should have done.  Maybe the CFL could have taught him how to throw a spiral. 

Manziel is asking for way more than a typical player in his situation should get (which is still less than what he would have made on his rookie contract in the NFL), so to commit that much money and potential for Manziel to be a bust, I would assume the contract won't go beyond 2 years.  Which is conveniently when the XFL launches in 2020, so he can still do both.

I don't think recreating the XFL is the correct path.  The real NFL (and also NBA/MLB/NHL/MLS) future competitor will be Esports.  I play video games, but I don't see the attraction in watching people play video games... let alone go to a stadium/arena to watch people play.  BUT they are selling out venues faster than the hottest concerts and most sporting events.  It's a half billion dollar industry that could hit $2 billion per year before the XFL plays its first game.  A lot of pro sports team owners are already jumping on the bandwagon with new professional leagues popping up.  If I was Vince McMahon, I would be all over the Esports scene in North America rather than trying to revive the XFL.

22 minutes ago, youngosu said:

Okay, so lets say you are right, he only wins if he delivers a better product so why would you root against getting a better product? What sense does that make? Do you own an NFL team? If the answer is yes than I get your stance, if its no than it makes no sense to me. BTW, those aren't the only 2 options, we could end up with 2 successful leagues giving us good football nearly year round or they could merge. 

Your stance indicates to me that you might think the AAFC and AFL must have been bad for the NFL. I'd argue quite the opposite. Even the XFL of 2001 improved the NFL product. 

You were asking why people would root against it. It's direct competition to a league, teams, and years of history that those fans invested in. And yes I know for fact Vince McMahon will not rest unless he has usurped the NFL or is out of business. He is not someone who likes to share well. 

13 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I wonder how NFL players feel that his selling point is that his players won't be scumbags.

I wonder how they feel that these guys will possess a fraction of the talent level and make an even smaller fraction of the money that they do.

Just now, BLick12 said:

I wonder how they feel that these guys will possess a fraction of the talent level and make an even smaller fraction of the money that they do.

I wonder how they feel when in a salary capped league when all of a sudden some of them take less money to go to the NFL

15 minutes ago, lancerman said:

You were asking why people would root against it. It's direct competition to a league, teams, and years of history that those fans invested in. And yes I know for fact Vince McMahon will not rest unless he has usurped the NFL or is out of business. He is not someone who likes to share well. 

I still don't understand why you (or anyone) that doesn't make money off the NFL would root against it. Competition is a good thing. 

Archived