The XFL will need its own section if it comes back.

chargerbuckeye

6 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

If I remember correctly, the moment I stopped watching altogether was shortly after the WWE ran the Triple H / Kane necrophilia angle. Stupid stuff.

Hahahahaha.....holy crap dude, no joke, that is when I completely stopped watching as well.    I joined the military in 2001 and got to my first duty station in April 2002, and I was still bitter about them botching the invasion angle, but I continued watching and me and some buddies ordered pretty much every pay per view for the first year, and after Stone Cold retired after Wrestlemania 19, thats when I thought things really started to go downhill, and by 2004, yeah, they were really getting into stupid storylines and many of the more entertaining superstars were moving on.    And I remember by 2004 I was just checking in every so often, and then they ran that whole Kane necro stuff and that was the last time I cared.    I have caught it here and there throughout the years and have watched some clips on Youtube, but for the most part, after Stone Cold left, it really tanked.     It wasnt JUST Stone Cold leaving that did it, but that was basically when the Attitude Era officially died.     

I tried watching an episode of Raw earlier this year and it was so so so bad.    I feel bad for kids who are into this stuff today, because it used be so much better.    And not trying to offend anyone who currently enjoys it, but I really dont understand how any adult could enjoy what it is now.

If someone wanted to make a go of it with a spring league they shouldn't use the XFL brand. The USFL brand might be viable or create your own (North American Football League?) but it can be done. 

Some ideas:

1) Play in the spring (of course)

2) Focus on streaming games in addition to a TV deal

3) Start with 12 cities with 5 coming from the top 10 markets, 5 coming from smaller markets (still top 50) but with no more than 1 team in the 4 majors), and 2 that have no other major team. 

4) Focus on finding stadiums with 30,000 seats or less (possible to have an exception here and there but smaller is better)

5) 10 game regular season, inclusive playoff (8 teams) lasting 3 weeks to keep virtually every market in it all season. 

6) Focus on creating rivals

Possible league (and potential stadiums)

East

New Jersey (Red Bull Arena)

Philadelphia (Talen Energy Stadium)

Chicago (Toyota Park)

Columbus (Mapfre Stadium)

South

Birmingham (Legion Field?)

Orlando (Orlando City Stadium)

Austin (Proposed MLS team stadium)

San Antonio (expanded Toyota Field or Alamodome)

West

Los Angeles (Stubhub Park)

San Jose (Avaya Stadium)

Portland (Providence Park)

Salt Lake City (Rio Tinto Stadium)

19 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Hahahahaha.....holy crap dude, no joke, that is when I completely stopped watching as well.    I joined the military in 2001 and got to my first duty station in April 2002, and I was still bitter about them botching the invasion angle, but I continued watching and me and some buddies ordered pretty much every pay per view for the first year, and after Stone Cold retired after Wrestlemania 19, thats when I thought things really started to go downhill, and by 2004, yeah, they were really getting into stupid storylines and many of the more entertaining superstars were moving on.    And I remember by 2004 I was just checking in every so often, and then they ran that whole Kane necro stuff and that was the last time I cared.    I have caught it here and there throughout the years and have watched some clips on Youtube, but for the most part, after Stone Cold left, it really tanked.     It wasnt JUST Stone Cold leaving that did it, but that was basically when the Attitude Era officially died.     

I tried watching an episode of Raw earlier this year and it was so so so bad.    I feel bad for kids who are into this stuff today, because it used be so much better.    And not trying to offend anyone who currently enjoys it, but I really dont understand how any adult could enjoy what it is now.

Raw was absolute trash in 2002 and 2003. Triple H went from being an all-time great heel in 2000 and 2001 to getting X-Pac heat.

Smackdown had its fault, but the difference talent between the two was embarrassing.

22 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

basically when the Attitude Era officially died.     

The sad moment when you realise you’ve witnessed the peak of wrestling, & it will never reach those heights again. You’re right, it still has some appeal to children, but the overall magic is long gone. 

I hope we never see that day in football, when we know it can never get any better. 

45 minutes ago, Marc MacGyver said:

The sad moment when you realise you’ve witnessed the peak of wrestling, & it will never reach those heights again. You’re right, it still has some appeal to children, but the overall magic is long gone. 

I hope we never see that day in football, when we know it can never get any better. 

Modern NJPW is the peak of wrestling

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

Modern NJPW is the peak of in ring wrestling performances. They're able to put on those performances because they don't work 4 out of 7 days in a week. 

Well that helps them, but I don't think too many guys from the Attitude Era outside of angle would be able to do what most guys in NJPW are doing in the ring regardless of the amount they worked.

23 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Well that helps them, but I don't think too many guys from the Attitude Era outside of angle would be able to do what most guys in NJPW are doing in the ring regardless of the amount they worked.

You are right, but part of what made WWF and WCW get to the heights it got was in large part due to the personalities and the stories.

Dont get me wrong, I really wish we could go back to a time when the in ring stuff matters more than the flashy lights and soap opera stories, but the personalities of the Attitude Era and the WWF vs WCW days is what made people care so much more.

Just now, MathMan said:

I still miss ECW. Still got some old tapes

Man....I remember I was like in 7th or 8th grade and it was during the summer and I was up at like 2am and it came on and I was blown away because, unlike WWE and WCW, you couldnt really tell it was staged.   It seemed so real.

Then WWE got a hold of it and ruined it.

WWE is to wrestling what EA is to videogames....get a hold of a beloved property and completely botch how you use it.

4 hours ago, everlong said:

Raw was absolute trash in 2002 and 2003. Triple H went from being an all-time great heel in 2000 and 2001 to getting X-Pac heat.

Smackdown had its fault, but the difference talent between the two was embarrassing.

It definitely went downhill from the glory years of 1997-2001, but it was still watchable IMO.    By mid 2004, it was a complete joke IMO,

11 hours ago, youngosu said:

If someone wanted to make a go of it with a spring league they shouldn't use the XFL brand. The USFL brand might be viable or create your own (North American Football League?) but it can be done. 

Some ideas:

1) Play in the spring (of course)

2) Focus on streaming games in addition to a TV deal

3) Start with 12 cities with 5 coming from the top 10 markets, 5 coming from smaller markets (still top 50) but with no more than 1 team in the 4 majors), and 2 that have no other major team. 

4) Focus on finding stadiums with 30,000 seats or less (possible to have an exception here and there but smaller is better)

5) 10 game regular season, inclusive playoff (8 teams) lasting 3 weeks to keep virtually every market in it all season. 

6) Focus on creating rivals

Possible league (and potential stadiums)

Northern Division

New Jersey (Red Bull Arena)

Omaha (TD Ameritrade Park)

St. Louis (The Dome at America's Center)

Columbus (MAPFRE Stadium)

Southern Division

Birmingham (Legion Field?)

Orlando (Orlando City Stadium)

Austin (Proposed MLS team stadium)

San Antonio (expanded Toyota Field or Alamodome)

Western Division

Sacramento (Hornet Stadium)

San Jose (Avaya Stadium)

Portland (Providence Park)

Salt Lake City (Rio Tinto Stadium)

Not bad. I'd put a team in Sacramento at Hornet Stadium which has hosted CFL & UFL games instead of LA, Omaha instead of Philadelphia, St. Louis instead of Chicago

6 hours ago, UtahUtesFan said:

Not bad. I'd put a team in Sacramento at Hornet Stadium which has hosted CFL & UFL games instead of LA, Omaha instead of Philadelphia, St. Louis instead of Chicago

While I agree in theory I believe you have to have Chicago and LA for credibility. 

I chose Philadelphia because its a top 5 market and supported spring football in the USFL days better than most big markets and could create a bit of a rivalry between them and NJ. You need some big markets to be taken seriously but I can definitely be convinced to drop Philadelphia. I didn't include St. Louis because they have both MLB and NHL and I was trying to avoid that in non-top 10 markets. St. Louis was city 13 for me. Sacramento makes sense but 3 teams in California was too many in a 12 team grouping (might have gone San Diego over Sacramento anyhow). 

Another city I strongly considered was Hartford. I'd probably replace Philadelphia with Hartford over Omaha. I think you have to have at least 2 teams in the northeast to have a credible league. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived