The XFL will need its own section if it comes back.

chargerbuckeye

4 hours ago, Carmen Cygni said:

So much wrong with this, but I'll touch on the most pertinent problem here. NFL teams are not going to be interested in players with supremely subpar and second rate coaching. There's already too much of a gap b/w the NFL and NCAA anyways in that regards, even though the NCAA has a slew of good-very good coaches. Teams are not going to waste their time with vastly under-coached players who's fundamentals, techniques, and overall experience rival that of high school player. Not to mention, the participants in such an experiment have nothing to fall back on education wise considering less than 1% of them will not make NFL rosters under such conditions.

You don't think it would be worth it for NFL teams to see their practice squad players in action? Given the limited amount of reps the NFL players are allowed I'd have to imagine any form of development would be good. They'd be playing against other practice squad players and some high school recruits. As for the education for the players to fall back on, I already stated that they could pay for an education as part of signing along with the $50K per year. It's not like getting pushed through college by taking communications or art classes to keep their GPA up is really going to benefit them in the real world. Players coming from poverty will be openly allowed to take money for their play. You may not get the top QB prospects but I'd bet there are a bunch of good players that would be tempted to avoid school to train for the NFL.

59 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

You don't think it would be worth it for NFL teams to see their practice squad players in action? Given the limited amount of reps the NFL players are allowed I'd have to imagine any form of development would be good. They'd be playing against other practice squad players and some high school recruits. As for the education for the players to fall back on, I already stated that they could pay for an education as part of signing along with the $50K per year. It's not like getting pushed through college by taking communications or art classes to keep their GPA up is really going to benefit them in the real world. Players coming from poverty will be openly allowed to take money for their play. You may not get the top QB prospects but I'd bet there are a bunch of good players that would be tempted to avoid school to train for the NFL.

1% of high school football players go on to college ball. From there, 1% of collegiate football players actually go on to the NFL. The average NFL career is a mere 3.3 years. We owe it to these kids to give them an education and hope outside of football. Just because some collegiate athletes don't take advantage of the situation, doesn't mean we should just pitch it to the wind, allow them the ill-advised opportunity to skip it all, and have the end result being a very high probability to ruin the rest of their lives chasing a short-term improbable dream. Could they return to school after your said proposition of paying for an education afterwards? Sure. But the chances of them doing so decrease even more when faced with the real world situation that they would then have to qualify academically as opposed to receiving an athletic scholarship to attend a place of higher education.

9 hours ago, Carmen Cygni said:

1% of high school football players go on to college ball. From there, 1% of collegiate football players actually go on to the NFL. The average NFL career is a mere 3.3 years. We owe it to these kids to give them an education and hope outside of football. Just because some collegiate athletes don't take advantage of the situation, doesn't mean we should just pitch it to the wind, allow them the ill-advised opportunity to skip it all, and have the end result being a very high probability to ruin the rest of their lives chasing a short-term improbable dream. Could they return to school after your said proposition of paying for an education afterwards? Sure. But the chances of them doing so decrease even more when faced with the real world situation that they would then have to qualify academically as opposed to receiving an athletic scholarship to attend a place of higher education.

You wouldn't be recruiting every high school student though. Only the top recruits that have a legit shot at the NFL. Most scouts have eyes on these players as they decide where they are going to school and then they follow the progress from there. This isn't for the 99% that they don't follow. You make it seem like I want to get rid of college which isn't the case. Merely a NFL college alternative for the players that have a high probability of making it to the NFL. Everyone else still goes to college. If a player 2 years into their college career feels like he's a top recruit maybe he opts to spend his final year in this new program training for the next level.

23 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I really hope this XFL revival happens.  Competition is ALWAYS a good thing, and the NFL desperately needs some competition.  Even if it turns out to be a crap product, I will watch it until its dying days and try to get as many others to watch it as I can just so the NFL stops with the BS they've been pulling. 

If the XFL happens during the same time of year as the NFL, I really, really, really, really hope they air on Thursday nights.

Nope, no chance. TNF may not get as high ratings as the Sunday games, but it's still blowing out all other forms of TV that's on at that time. The best bet for the XFL would be to air on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, meaning that from Labor day through to mid-December there would be live football on TV every single day (High School Friday, College Saturday, XFL on Tuesday and Wednesday and the NFL on Sunday) which would appear to total football junkies like myself.

The other option would be to hold it after the NFL draft, where guys that failed to make NFL rosters could compete to get an invite to training camp.

On 12/22/2017 at 1:44 PM, lancerman said:

Well you see he couldn't have the WWF guys looking weak against the WCW guys even though he currently was the owner of WCW and all the WCW wrestlers were now his employees and they were making money off the WCW talent otherwise why would you but WCW?.... 

The dude is petty 

Invasion angle wasn't his fault. All the top WCW stars had guaranteed contracts, and didnt need to go WWE right away when they could just collect a check to do nothing. If hogan, nash, sting, goldberg came right over it would've been epic. The SS match would be insane.

Rock, Austin, Angle, Taker, Triple H vs Hogan, Sting, Goldberg, Hall, Nash.

This sounds fun and workable in theory, just like the first time around. I don't think people remember how bad the product was the first time around. People got excited for the first game, and most lost interest during that first game. After you saw the coin flip replacement and the lack of fair catches, it was really just low quality football with teams no one had any reason to root for.

On 12/23/2017 at 12:05 PM, The LBC said:

Owned by Viacom aka CBS.  You're going to struggle to find a cable network that isn't owned by an entity that has a direct tie to the four networks (CBS, FOX, NBC, ABC/ESPN) that air NFL games.  This is why XFL stuffs are almost assuredly going to be streamed only.

WWE network then.

Who airs the AFL and CFL?

22 hours ago, chargerbuckeye said:

WWE network then.

Who airs the AFL and CFL?

So in other words... a streaming service, which is what I've been saying all along.  Except that, WWE just partnered with Facebook Live in an endeavor so it would likely be FB Live over WWE Network because FBL has a wider reaching range.

The AFL is down to like 4 teams (been diminishing year after year and hardly a remote threat to NFL) and those games aired taped on a CBS affiliate and live via an online subscription streaming service.  The CFL airs on The Sports Network, a Canadian network owned by Labatt Brewers, and doesn't even have a US television deal anymore that I'm aware of.

On 23/12/2017 at 4:04 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

I dont watch wrestling anymore, but I will never forgive him for the way he laughably botched the WCW Invasion angle back in the early 2000s. 

This is similar to my experience. I used to love wrestling, particularly when the two rival companies were going strong. 

If I remember correctly, the moment I stopped watching altogether was shortly after the WWE ran the Triple H / Kane necrophilia angle. Stupid stuff.

~~~~~

Anyway the XFL is trash, bring back that nude wrestling league instead. The one Carmen Electra was involved in.

4 minutes ago, Marc MacGyver said:

This is similar to my experience. I used to love wrestling, particularly when the two rival companies were going strong. 

If I remember correctly, the moment I stopped watching altogether was shortly after the WWE ran the Triple H / Kane necrophilia angle. Stupid stuff.

~~~~~

Anyway the XFL is trash, bring back that nude wrestling league instead. The one Carmen Electra was involved in.

I was out after Mark Henry and the 100 year old broad had a baby, an adult hand. 

5 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I was out after Mark Henry and the 100 year old broad had a baby, an adult hand. 

There was a time when it was brilliant TV / Theatre. Then it lost the plot, & the appeal.

Wrestling is an example of something I once had a great passion / interest for, but now have absolutely none.

At one point it was right up there with football & rugby for me. It really is proof you can fall out of love with anything. 

Tbh, I nearly had the same falling out with rugby during the years they trialed the awful ELV rule changes.

I suppose in the long run football is not immune to those feelings either. 

4 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

There was a time when it was brilliant TV / Theatre. Then it lost the plot, & the appeal.

Wrestling is an example of something I once had a great passion / interest for, but now have absolutely none.

At one point it was right up there with football & rugby for me. It really is proof you can fall out of love with anything. 

Tbh, I nearly had the same falling out with rugby during the years they trialed the awful ELV rule changes.

I suppose in the long run football is not immune to those feelings either. 

Agreed, I used to switch between WCW and RAW constantly, following both of them and ECW when I could get my hands on a magazine. I loved the personalities that had moved to WCW and the new "attitude era" of the WWF was something near an addiction.

But that was the moment I quit watching it. I hope football never gets like that to me, but like you said, it is entertainment and not something we MUST have. Something that ridiculous just broke it for me, I have tried to watch a few times over the years and couldn't even watch Wrestlemania without getting distracted repeatedly.

I actually went to a few XFL games, and it was a lot of fun. I think the biggest problem with the XFL were people trying to compare it to the NFL. It wasn't meant to be a direct competitor, but people couldn't look at it that way. It was another league, with some developmental possibilities. There were a lot of players that made it into the NFL for a while, some onto practice squads, and a few even became starters after it ended. Sure there were players that couldn't make it in the NFL, but that doesn't mean that they weren't talented athletes. The competition was actually really good, it just wasn't the highest level. 

People laughed at the nicknames, but everybody remembers "He Hate Me" far more than they remember Rod Smart. People made fun of some of the stuff they did with the cameras, and then the NFL adopted some of it. The game check based on wins/losses actually made guys play. People liked a lot of what they did, but would have rather made fun of it than actually watch it. It was big, and loud, and fun. If people could see it as good - not top level football, and a good show, it will succeed. Sadly most will try and see it as a competitor to the NFL, instead of a different league, and it will die again. It's really sad it will end the same because we could see guys that just needed some extra time to make to the NFL get a shot, or small school guys that didn't make draft boards. 

Archived