The XFL will need its own section if it comes back.

chargerbuckeye

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Because Vince McMahon is an exploitative monster who's caused countless young men to suffer horrible injuries, supplied addicts with drugs, refuses to give developmental workers insurance, and on and on and on.

Vince McMahon shouldn't succeed by taking advantage of yet more financially vulnerable young men getting their bodies and brains beat in for the veneer of "entertainment" then casting them aside to die broken and jobless once they're no longer useful.

People have rooted against every type of attempt rather from McMahan or not. I remember sitting in a sports bar when a UFL game came on TV a couple years back and listening to people talk about how it was a stupid idea and were actively rooting for it to fail. 

Its just odd to me. I've seen the same thing from MLS fans rooting for the NASL to fail as if they somehow benefit from MLS having a monopoly on soccer in the US and I've even seen Americans rooting for MLS to fail which even if you hate soccer, why root for it to fail? Its not like you are required to watch. 

41 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Ultimately, the XFL could only work if it was a feeder league and played in the spring.   The big question is if an ego like Vince McMahon could stomach setting up a league designed to be 2nd fiddle to the NFL.   He's always tried to dominate wrestling, I can't imagine he's trying to set up a feeder league here. 

A feeder league is a guarantee of failure. I don't know why so many people keep saying such a league could work. The NFL couldn't make a feeder league work in the USA during the spring. How is some 3rd party going to make it work? 

Making it a feeder league is guaranteeing it fails. 

The only reason current minor leagues succeed in the USA today are:

1) Directly affiliate with major league teams

2) Pay slave wages

3) Heavily subsidized by major league teams

The only reason colleges make money of football/basketball today are:

1) History and tradition

2) Alums

3) Pay slave wages

A feeder league is a terrible idea. Now, the NFL should have a feeder league playing in the Fall but that is a different discussion and has nothing to do with a spring league. 

The original XFL averaged 23,000 fans per game. That is something to build off of. A feeder league would be lucky to get 10,000 fans to show up. 

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

Johnny Manziel is the #1 target for the league. This league is going to fail so hard...

I am sure it will because most people won't even give it a chance. 

The reality is that about 2000 people finish their FBS college careers each year. The NFL takes 250-300 each year. The CFL takes less than 100. There are plenty of players left to create a product that would be entertaining each year. And that isn't even counting the players that lose NFL/CFL jobs to those 400 new players each year. 

Heaven forbid that sports fans might have more sports options in the spring. Can't have that. 

32 minutes ago, youngosu said:

People have rooted against every type of attempt rather from McMahan or not. I remember sitting in a sports bar when a UFL game came on TV a couple years back and listening to people talk about how it was a stupid idea and were actively rooting for it to fail. 

Its just odd to me. I've seen the same thing from MLS fans rooting for the NASL to fail as if they somehow benefit from MLS having a monopoly on soccer in the US and I've even seen Americans rooting for MLS to fail which even if you hate soccer, why root for it to fail? Its not like you are required to watch. 

I think at this point people have their own teams and the NFL is firmly entrenched in society. If you are a football fan you are an NFL fan. Nobody new is going to come a long and make new fans. Also think of it this way, if the XFL wins it kind of undermines the NFL and it's history

10 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I think at this point people have their own teams and the NFL is firmly entrenched in society. If you are a football fan you are an NFL fan. Nobody new is going to come a long and make new fans. Also think of it this way, if the XFL wins it kind of undermines the NFL and it's history

Huh?

Who said its either/or?

I am a Seahawks fan, I am also a fan of Oregon State football because I went to school there, if the XFL puts a team in Portland or Seattle I'd be a fan of that team. Its not like I have to pick one or the other. 

Not really sure what the undermining NFL history has to do with anything. 

And I disagree that nobody new can come along and make new fans. New teams get added to the NFL and fans get on board with that team. In this case you don't even have to give up your NFL team. I just don't see any reason to root against more options. Its silly to me. 

Even in NFL markets you can root for both. Some of the best attended USFL teams were in NFL markets. Many fans had tickets to both.

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

The Cleveland Browns would probably be the best team in the XFL.

And a dozen or so collegiate squads as well. Coaching matters and the XFL will be full of cast-offs on every level.

I wouldn't waste one precious second on the XFL, or even a meaningless second for that matter.

9 minutes ago, youngosu said:

Huh?

Who said its either/or?

I am a Seahawks fan, I am also a fan of Oregon State football because I went to school there, if the XFL puts a team in Portland or Seattle I'd be a fan of that team. Its not like I have to pick one or the other. 

Not really sure what the undermining NFL history has to do with anything. 

And I disagree that nobody new can come along and make new fans. New teams get added to the NFL and fans get on board with that team. In this case you don't even have to give up your NFL team. I just don't see any reason to root against more options. Its silly to me. 

Even in NFL markets you can root for both. Some of the best attended USFL teams were in NFL markets. Many fans had tickets to both.

Disagree. Vince McMahon is incapable of sharing the spotlight. He'll build it up and then go all in on overtaking the NFL. Either the NFL will crush him or he'll pull off the biggest upset in sports history. It's an either or. These guys don't want to share

Just now, Carmen Cygni said:

And a dozen or so collegiate squads as well. Coaching matters and the XFL will be full of cast-offs on every level.

I wouldn't waste one precious second on the XFL.

No chance a "dozen or so" college squads would be better. That is simply untrue. 

Archived