Vikings QB JJ McCarthy out for season (torn meniscus)

Forge

1 minute ago, D82 said:

It sucks...but the plan seemed to be this was more of a "watch and learn" year for him anyway. So not the worst thing. 

Checks notes on who he is watching.....

Ok, so don't to that.  Or that, Or that.  And definitely not that 

• Like 2

While this sucks really bad for him THIS YEAR, he can now go sit, get his head completely in the playbook and come back to what will be HIS team next season.  Consider it a blessing in disguise.  

Hoping for a speedy recovery! 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Totty said:

While this sucks really bad for him THIS YEAR, he can now go sit, get his head completely in the playbook and come back to what will be HIS team next season.  Consider it a blessing in disguise.  

Hoping for a speedy recovery! 

If the regime can survive the season with Darnold, that is. I'm not sure either O'Connell or the front office would survive a disaster-level season. If they don't, McCarthy will go into his sophomore year as the previous regime's guy while having to learn a new playbook...

29 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'm not sure either O'Connell or the front office would survive a disaster-level season. If they don't, McCarthy will go into his sophomore year as the previous regime's guy while having to learn a new playbook...

What are the actual expectations for the Vikings who are replacing their Quarterback, and in a division with two teams that won playoff games last year that had minimal turnover?  Like I think they're safe with 6 wins.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

Vikings front office would be out of their minds to fire KOC. A 39 year old offensive minded HC who is 6'5, Not happening. Dude would have a new job in two days. He's most likely gonna coach Darnold to the best season of his career.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

What are the actual expectations for the Vikings who are replacing their Quarterback, and in a division with two teams that won playoff games last year that had minimal turnover?  Like I think they're safe with 6 wins.

6 wins and they're probably safe, but I don't know if that's guaranteed; 4 or less would definitely put them in the danger zone. Bear in mind - neither GM nor O'Connell is under contract beyond 2025 and the owner has stated there's no discussions to extend them.

15 minutes ago, raidersedge said:

He's most likely gonna coach Darnold to the best season of his career.

If so, then they probably had a pretty good season ;)

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

If the regime can survive the season with Darnold, that is. I'm not sure either O'Connell or the front office would survive a disaster-level season. If they don't, McCarthy will go into his sophomore year as the previous regime's guy while having to learn a new playbook...

Let's cut the crap already. HOW MANY FIRSTS TO TRADE FOR HARBAUGH

• Like 2

One imagines that the Vikings might have learned from the other three teams in their division that the order of operations is "New Coach then New Quarterback" and doing it the other way around invites disaster.  So barring a complete death spiral where the team clearly quits on him, I think O'Connell is safe.  Like this is a year where the #1 overall pick is probably only a QB out of complete necessity, so no matter how bad things go for Minnesota this year they're probably not drafting competition for McCarthy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raidersedge said:

Vikings front office would be out of their minds to fire KOC. A 39 year old offensive minded HC who is 6'5, Not happening. Dude would have a new job in two days. He's most likely gonna coach Darnold to the best season of his career.

what does 6’5 have to do with anything?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

This ultimately might be the best for him - study, rehab, learn what it means to prepare as an NFL QB. 

Immediately thought this as well, even though it was probably in the plan.  Practice reps are still practice reps though, and that’s going to hurt.  

Hopefully they let him still stick around the team, in meetings, on the sidelines, etc.  

6 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Sam Darnold's week 1 start is back in Metlife. 👻

I hope that dude balls out. It's his first chance at starting on a team that isn't super trash tier.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

They'll be fine this is a long term project and the vikings ownership is patient. Last year wasn't their fault as Kirk Cousins did a jesus and died on sunday.

Talented young QB dies in the pre-season=flyer year. They'll realistically get this year+2 more to evaluate McCarthy's progression and see where the roster is headed.

3 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

6 wins and they're probably safe, but I don't know if that's guaranteed; 4 or less would definitely put them in the danger zone. Bear in mind - neither GM nor O'Connell is under contract beyond 2025 and the owner has stated there's no discussions to extend them.

If so, then they probably had a pretty good season ;)

They'll get extended before 2024 is over, you don't let both of your guys just walk unless you wanna blow up the roster offense is way too talented to do that.