Vikings QB JJ McCarthy out for season (torn meniscus)

Forge

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

You are absolutely right.  If it fails though that is a big problem.  Meniscus repair means sewing together soft tissue in an area of the body that gets very little blood flow which makes healing difficult.  

I wonder if one could supplement a surgery like this with a PRP treatment - get direct injection of platelets into the impacted area.

I know PRP was a lifesaver for my knees...

32 minutes ago, offbyone said:

We will never know the details of the injury, but I am just inferring from the "he's done for the season" that it isn't a simple repair.   6 weeks non weight bearing for meniscus repairs is pretty common.  ACL you are on that thing pretty quick.  The ACL recovery is gonna be longer though no doubt, but outcome rates on a basic ACL are very good compared to complex meniscus repairs.  Many meniscus repairs fail and patients have to go back and get it snipped.  Think about it.  6 weeks non weight bearing puts you at october.  Another 12 weeks until full return to sport recovery puts you into December.  There is basically the season.  Just saying.  Complete speculation, just lines up.  

https://patient.uwhealth.org/education/sports-medicine-rehabilitation-guidelines

Meniscus repair is weight-bearing as tolerated.

12 weeks until running/ impact.  Cutting and change of direction at 4-5 months.  That is the timeline.  It's not a weight bearing issue

5 hours ago, StatKing said:

The Bears did just that with Trubisky and Fields. A lot can change over the course of a season.

Except Trubisky and Fields didn't miss the entire season with an injury.

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Except Trubisky and Fields didn't miss the entire season with an injury.

Still the same basic premise. The staff tried to give themselves and extra year of job security by drafting a QB and it backfired.

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

https://patient.uwhealth.org/education/sports-medicine-rehabilitation-guidelines

Meniscus repair is weight-bearing as tolerated.

12 weeks until running/ impact.  Cutting and change of direction at 4-5 months.  That is the timeline.  It's not a weight bearing issue

So there is absolutely no point in them attempting to rush him back at all.  Just let the knee heal up naturally and go at his own pace during the recovery and off-season.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, raidersedge said:

Think about it. How can a coach who is 5'8 really command a room? I'm just saying... Owners seriously look at this stuff.

Yeah I bet the Rams wish they'd passed on McVay for somebody taller

• Like 2

2 hours ago, raidersedge said:

Think about it. How can a coach who is 5'8 really command a room? I'm just saying... Owners seriously look at this stuff.

Sounds like Vince McMahon is the possible owner in this case.  He hated small wrestlers.  

Commanding a room has much, much more to do than height and size.  

12 hours ago, StatKing said:

Still the same basic premise. The staff tried to give themselves and extra year of job security by drafting a QB and it backfired.

Not even close.  Justin Fields played in 12 games and started 10 games as a rookie.  Mitchell Trubisky played and started in 12 games.  McCarthy, short of an early return from his injury, will have played in none.

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not even close.  Justin Fields played in 12 games and started 10 games as a rookie.  Mitchell Trubisky played and started in 12 games.  McCarthy, short of an early return from his injury, will have played in none.

What is the specific disagreement you two are hashing out here with regards to the Vikings staff and their now-injured 1st round QB?

You're saying KOC would appear to be safer not having the rd1 qb play at all vs having him play and look lost out there for an entire season?

Edited by sinceAtikevike

27 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

What is the specific disagreement you two are hashing out here with regards to the Vikings staff and their now-injured 1st round QB?

You're saying KOC would appear to be safer not having the rd1 qb play at all vs having him play and look lost out there for an entire season?

StatKing is arguing that the Fields/Trubisky and McCarthy situation are analogous.  One situation is where the rookie QB played (and struggled) and the other one is likely on the IR for the season.  The Vikings drafted McCarthy with a vision in mind, and that almost presumably had KOC involved.  As I mentioned (either here or another thread), I think the only way KOC isn't the Vikings coach in 2025 is if the wheels absolutely fall off.

17 hours ago, squire12 said:

They are very likely only reparing the meniscus in the red-red zone... higher chance to heal.  Often adding some form of trephination to stimulate blood flow and stem cells to the joint/meniscus repair/healing. 

In no way is an ACL tear and reconstruction an easier recovery.  The neurological changes after an ACL tear and reconstruction are considerable more complex than anything like a meniscus repair.

Non weight-bearing after meniscus repair is if it is a very large tear or involving the meniscus root.  If it is that,  then repair and recovery are the better option vs choosing the quicker menisectomy to get back to playing sooner.

Not at all related, but it's a slow work day and I'm curious about this - is there more information on this out there? I don't know anything about how the nerves respond to surgery/PT/healing in general.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Not at all related, but it's a slow work day and I'm curious about this - is there more information on this out there? I don't know anything about how the nerves respond to surgery/PT/healing in general.

Google search or pubmed search the below.  Not peripheral nerves but CNS and motor programming, somatosensory input/processing, proprioception changes.

If it's a slow workday for you, this might be fun to dive into for you...... enjoy!!!!

Search this in google to start

motor programming changes after acl tear

Edited by squire12
  • Like 2