Initial 53-man roster set

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

I have a gut feeling that Payton has been surprised with the turnaround results Wilson has shown. Wilson is definitely a more athletic and talented NFL player (regardless of what Stiddy thinks of himself) than Stidham, but knows he isn't as refined within this offensive scheme yet. 

I must be missing something. I watched every snap both Stidham and Nix took. Personally I thought Stidham played really well. I was actually quite surprised. He was very accurate, crisp and had more arm strength than I thought. Vey decisive also. We won't lose anything if he has to come in. 

Anyway, doesn't matter much. I figured our best case would be to come out of this with a decent starter, good backup and a draft pick. We're almost there. No way either Stidham or Wilson are on this team next year.

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

IIRC you can activate a PS player 3x on Sunday to the active roster before you have to add to 53-man roster.   Def can see where that scenario plays out.   Pretty much zero chance we want to dress only 5 WR on Sundays.   Especially if Franklin is one of those 5.  

I think with the change in kick off rules we will see fewer WR/CBs used and more RB/LB/TEs.

Edited by broncos_fan _from _uk

10 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I think we're going to see Humphrey added back to the PS and then be the active 6th WR for at least 3+ games (because you get freebies until the 4th game, then you have to put them on the 53-man roster with the 4th callup, IIRC).

I wonder why LJH cannot stick on the active roster.  To me, and I could be wrong, but he seems rather reliable.  He is always making plays.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Who do you think would have higher value, Wilson or Stidham?

I think value-wise, it has to be Wilson, right?  He is only 25 years old with some experience as a starter. But, I think the plan for Wilson is to let him be coached up by the battery of QB coaches that the Broncos have on staff, build him up, and then trade him.  You can get a haul of draft picks and players for a better than average QB in this league.  And he is also insurance in case the Bo Nix experience doesn't work out.  

2 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I think with the change in kick off rules we will see fewer WR/CBs used and more RB/LB/TEs.

Fair point re: ST just I don’t think we want to dress only 4 WR we feel get the whole O.   Franklin sounds like he’s sushi raw at this stage.  

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Fully expecting another WR to be picked up off the waiver wire. No way do we roll with that receiving corps.

George Paton said, without directly saying it, that LJH and Burton will not only be back on the PS, but will likely be in the squad for week 1. 

Paton talked a lot about how much they liked the WR depth as a reason for Patrick being cut (along with Special Teams), so I think i'd be surprised if we are on the waiver wire for WR help. As @Broncofan has mentioned, there's so great talent being cut around the league at WR so who knows, but we don't have any more room for talented WRs that can't be counted on for Special Teams (hi, Franklin).

I thought it was interesting that Paton also said Estime could be a "four core" player, referring to the fact he could play all Special Teams and Offense. I wouldn't be expecting much time on Offense if that's the case.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 3

Well no surprise Lil’ Jordan on the PS.   Mildly surprised Sills made it over Brandon Johnson but whatevs.   

Added 6’8 Chargers RZ mismatch Donald Parham to the squad.   Concussion & soft tissue injuries been an issue.   Def could see him added as a RZ weapon esp if Dulcich gets hurt.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Lost Jacobs (Patriots) and Mustipher (Chargers) on waivers.

Sure hope Crum and Forsyth work out.

We have no IOL depth outside of Forsyth, none! After what I saw from him in preseason we'd better hope our starting IOL doesn't miss a minute. 

What can you say about Forsyth. Well, he gets put on skates regularly and has limited lateral movement for a center. Hopefully we're scanning the wire for an upgrade. 

Throckmorton to the practice squad is good, he was the one interior backup I think could actually be playable. He just doesn’t have the versatility you look for. 

Kinda feels like whichever developmental tackle they exposed to the waiver wire was going to be picked up and they needed to choose 2 of the 3. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I must be missing something. I watched every snap both Stidham and Nix took. Personally I thought Stidham played really well. I was actually quite surprised. He was very accurate, crisp and had more arm strength than I thought. Vey decisive also. We won't lose anything if he has to come in. 

Anyway, doesn't matter much. I figured our best case would be to come out of this with a decent starter, good backup and a draft pick. We're almost there. No way either Stidham or Wilson are on this team next year.

Stidham is not a bad QB, definitely the steady eddie. But is he the guy you want to try and bring you back from a 17-pt deficit ? He just doesn't come across as that type of guy to me, he not very dynamic IMO. That said, Wilson has made visible strides from his Jets days, but are they real ?? I loved what I saw vs AZ but that still was against 2nd/3rd stringers 

Edited by Cutler06

5 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Stidham is not a bad QB, definitely the steady eddie. But is he the guy you want to try and bring you back from a 17-pt deficit ? He just doesn't come across as that type of guy to me, he not very dynamic IMO. That said, Wilson has made visible strides from his Jets days, but are they real ?? I loved what I saw vs AZ but that still was against 2nd/3rd stringers 

Absolutely right, he's not. Almost boring but uses the whole offense. He's also the only guy we saw against anybody's first team.. 14 plays, 2 false starts, a  hold, a taunting and then Perine juggles a ball into Indy's hands. Through all that though Stidham was pretty steady. That's the last time our O has gone against anyone's starters. I'm pretty nervous about our offense as a whole right now. Three OL penalties in our only 1 vs 1's in 14 plays. 

That's what bugs me bud. Against GB they sat their top 31 players. Who knows what Arizona did. Hopefully the Colts game was just 1st game jitters. Anyway, the Seahawks will be a bit of a break-in game but after that we go against 3 very talented top 10 defenses in a row with really good front 7's. Our OL needs to get lots better really fast.

I loved what I saw from both Nix and Wilson, they both seemed to improve a lot but until I see them against game day players and a designed/planned defense I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 2