Surveilling the sophomore QBs

It seems like there has been a lot of bad QBs coming into the NFL lately. Or maybe its just bad development. 

Anthony Richardson is probably a bust, idk why he went that high to begin with. He completed 53% of his passes in college. 

Bryce Young is looking like a bust, no real elite traits and is small. Maybe turns it around with development but has been clearly overwhelmed playing and has looked lost. Andy Dalton comes in and ran that offense to perfection. I just never liked the idea of trading all the Panthers did for a 5'10 QB with no elite traits.

Will Levis makes some good plays but then is good for multiple boneheaded plays a game that end up costing the team. The Titans have a talented roster as well, if they had a steady QB they would be competing. 

12 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I haven't understood their direction for about 3 years now

As someone with the poor misfortune of being a Titans fan, I can explain that.

2022 was kind of a wake up call year for the Titans.  The wheels were falling off, but Vrabel was a "great" head coach, and was convinced that they could turn things around with the same aging core of players.  So instead, they fired JRob, on the theory that it was his fault the roster was in shambles and hired Carthon.  Carthon wanted to come in and rebuild, but Vrabel pounded the table on being able to get one more season out of the vets, so they did the worst possible thing and split the baby, with win now moves like drafting a guard 11th overall and signing DHop, along with rebuild moves like drafting Levis and a Tyjae Spears.  Predictably, it didn't work, and 2023 was bad, Vrabel was fired, and a new regime brought in.  They rebuilt the roster completely, but it's now effectively the first year of a rebuild, while still being hampered by contracts and such made from the split the baby season.

The team was never going to compete this season, so it was more about seeing what they have in Levis and the other young players/new acquisitions.  The results aren't great so far, but they aren't awful either.  Levis is either going to tamp down on the bonehead, backbreaking plays, and be a functional QB you can try again in 2025 while you rebuild the rest of your roster, or he won't, and the team will be looking for a new QB as part of the rebuild.

But benching Levis would be moronic.  It accomplishes nothing, and actually actively hurts the rebuild.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

It seems like there has been a lot of bad QBs coming into the NFL lately. Or maybe its just bad development. 

Anthony Richardson is probably a bust, idk why he went that high to begin with. He completed 53% of his passes in college. 

Bryce Young is looking like a bust, no real elite traits and is small. Maybe turns it around with development but has been clearly overwhelmed playing and has looked lost. Andy Dalton comes in and ran that offense to perfection. I just never liked the idea of trading all the Panthers did for a 5'10 QB with no elite traits.

Will Levis makes some good plays but then is good for multiple boneheaded plays a game that end up costing the team. The Titans have a talented roster as well, if they had a steady QB they would be competing. 

Anthony Richardson was awful at Florida. I have no clue what convinced NFL teams to pick him that high? I don't even thinks scouts and draft media were high on him.

This is by no means, a prediction of what is to come with Anthony Richardson. It is meant as perspective. First.....

To compare, at this point in his career, AR has had a total of 20 starts at the QB position since high school. That is equal to Manning at the end of his sophmore year. Manning had another 24 starts AFTER that before joining the NFL. Conclusion? Im going to watch his career as it unfolds. He's not just the youngest QB in the NFL, he is the most inexperienced as well. Will he succeed? Only time will tell. To make a grand determination about his future success at this time is ludicrous. 

On 9/23/2024 at 4:09 PM, lavar703 said:

Anthony Richardson was awful at Florida. I have no clue what convinced NFL teams to pick him that high? I don't even thinks scouts and draft media were high on him.

No one was high on Richardson during the season but a lot of people fell in love after the combine. Josh Allen's development has given teams hope that they can develop a raw guy with elite tools. He definitely has insane tools but man he is just so inaccurate as a passer.

12 hours ago, Warhorse said:

This is by no means, a prediction of what is to come with Anthony Richardson. It is meant as perspective. First.....

To compare, at this point in his career, AR has had a total of 20 starts at the QB position since high school. That is equal to Manning at the end of his sophmore year. Manning had another 24 starts AFTER that before joining the NFL. Conclusion? Im going to watch his career as it unfolds. He's not just the youngest QB in the NFL, he is the most inexperienced as well. Will he succeed? Only time will tell. To make a grand determination about his future success at this time is ludicrous. 

I hate, hate, HATE when people say "MaNnInG wAs BaD aS a RoOkIe". First off, he went to a team picking first; very devoid of talent besides a pre-prime Marshall Faulk. Second, 1998 is a universe away from the passing landscape of the modern NFL. For Manning to nearly go for 4000 yards and 26 TDs as a rookie was stunning; his INTs? Oh well, Drew Bledsoe literally made the Pro Bowl throwing more INTs than TDs in that same era. If you can't succeed as a QB in the modern NFL where essentially every rule favors the offense, you're not going to get it together.

I like Richardson, and with apt coaching he could improve, but the amount of people who compared Peyton Manning's rookie season to Zach Wilson, Kenny Pickett, Mitch Trubisky, Daniel Jones, etc. is ridiculous. People have entirely forgotten how context works. Don't get me started on the "Look at Jared Goff/Derek Carr/Ryan Tannehill's first 6 seasons compared to Tom Brady! They're on their way to the HOF!" mouthbreathers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HerbertGOAT said:

I hate, hate, HATE when people say "MaNnInG wAs BaD aS a RoOkIe". First off, he went to a team picking first; very devoid of talent besides a pre-prime Marshall Faulk. Second, 1998 is a universe away from the passing landscape of the modern NFL. For Manning to nearly go for 4000 yards and 26 TDs as a rookie was stunning; his INTs? Oh well, Drew Bledsoe literally made the Pro Bowl throwing more INTs than TDs in that same era. If you can't succeed as a QB in the modern NFL where essentially every rule favors the offense, you're not going to get it together.

I like Richardson, and with apt coaching he could improve, but the amount of people who compared Peyton Manning's rookie season to Zach Wilson, Kenny Pickett, Mitch Trubisky, Daniel Jones, etc. is ridiculous. People have entirely forgotten how context works. Don't get me started on the "Look at Jared Goff/Derek Carr/Ryan Tannehill's first 6 seasons compared to Tom Brady! They're on their way to the HOF!" mouthbreathers.

Interesting. I offer perspective, and you spew hate. There might be something for you to learn here.

10 hours ago, Warhorse said:

Interesting. I offer perspective, and you spew hate. There might be something for you to learn here.

It wasn't directed towards you; Richardson is a case where patience is definitely a virtue. I'm just saying that usually people using Manning's rookie year is often lazy and lacking context, in the same vein as people using Josh Allen's Year 3 leap as a coping mechanism when their young QB clearly doesn't have it.

Richardson just needs reps, and he'll continue to get them as long as he doesn't get hurt again. The most important thing is the positives so far, and AR's positives are HUGE ones.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

It wasn't directed towards you; Richardson is a case where patience is definitely a virtue. I'm just saying that usually people using Manning's rookie year is often lazy and lacking context, in the same vein as people using Josh Allen's Year 3 leap as a coping mechanism when their young QB clearly doesn't have it.

Richardson just needs reps, and he'll continue to get them as long as he doesn't get hurt again. The most important thing is the positives so far, and AR's positives are HUGE ones.

This has become obnoxious. Josh Allen is a rare case but has become the poster child for why so and so QB can turn it around. It's the new "the next Mahomes" and like Mahomes, there is only 1 Josh Allen. 

On 9/23/2024 at 6:05 PM, NYJets4716 said:

Desperation is the answer. 

Teams have become thirsty as hell and desperate beyond belief for a good QB and they’re throwing anything at anything and hoping something sticks. Richardson and Young being busts were two of the easiest calls in the history of draft takes. 

Some aren’t so obvious. 

edit: Richardson could improve, but the accuracy would worry me if I were a colts fan. Some really basic throws left out there

Edited by Hunter2_1

15 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

edit: Richardson could improve, but the accuracy would worry me if I were a colts fan. Some really basic throws left out there

It comes down to the fact it's easier to teach a guy how to hit a routine screen pass or 4 yard hitch than teach him how to hit a 60 yard frozen rope on the run while being hit. Guys like Goff, Purdy, Carr, Tua, etc are always going to be limited on how good they can be; guys like Richardson and Allen are essentially unlimited. Especially in the AFC, you need an alien at QB to compete. There's no point in taking the "safe pick" so you can perennially go 9-8 with the 12th ranked offense, you need to have the guy who make make throws only a few others can even think of.

3 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

It comes down to the fact it's easier to teach a guy how to hit a routine screen pass or 4 yard hitch than teach him how to hit a 60 yard frozen rope on the run while being hit. Guys like Goff, Purdy, Carr, Tua, etc are always going to be limited on how good they can be; guys like Richardson and Allen are essentially unlimited. Especially in the AFC, you need an alien at QB to compete. There's no point in taking the "safe pick" so you can perennially go 9-8 with the 12th ranked offense, you need to have the guy who make make throws only a few others can even think of.

True it’s crazy to see a lot of Colts wanting to bench AR for Flacco this year.  Patience is definitely lost in today’s society. The guy has only played 7 games and is only 22. This is his rookie season. Also something some fans and media people forget is he lost 6 months of getting any off field reps and was rehabbing his shoulder.

I remember when Andrew Luck came back from his shoulder surgery he was rough his first month+ and people started to questioning his arm strength but he shook off the rest and won 8 out of the final 10 games and lost in the divisional round. Obviously I’m just comparing the injury and rehab process not the players.

Edited by Blackstar12