GB vs PHI : Post Game Recap

GHARMON9

21 minutes ago, craig said:

The run-game took a while, for Jones in the first half.  And it was bad on short-yardage.  (Didn't we lose yards on 2 of first 3 short-yardage runs?  So bad that later, when MLF had a half-yard-to-gain, he went to pass instead?  Shotgun, even?).

But it did really well outside of short-yardage.  

I thought pass really struggled all game.  Love was under much more pressure than Hurts, I thought.  Love had a lot of poor-location, bad-accuracy throws.  Lots of drops (Watson, Doubs, Wicks..). The big-play to Reed was a nice throw and really boosted the passing average.  But I thought Love looked bad, the non-Reed receivers looked bad, and guys weren't open enough to make for a lot of easy throws to build some rhythm.  The o-line obviously didn't give Love the 2nd-half time that Hurts was getting, but obviously Hurts scrambling ability impacts defense in a way that Love lacks.  

Having a zillion penalties in the first half didn't help either, or receivers slipping when trying to get open or to adjust to imprecise throws. 

Just kinda looked like a knock-the-rust-off warmup game after going through camp on injury-prevention mode.  

It reall didnt take awhile. There were some penalties that negated solid runs and forced us into passes. On the 3rd drive jacobs had an 8 yard run in the RZ negated by a Kraft hold that didnt need to happen for the play. He had 4 carries previous that that werent great. If thats taking a while to get going, the whole leagues a diesel.

Saquons first 3 runs gathered up a total of 3 yards. It wasnt until their 3rd series that he got going either, but the eagles had a great day running all over the packers. Make it make sense.

He also elected to go for a run on our only 4th down attempt (which we gained)

This is just not reality. I get you want the packers run game to be bad on some preconceived notion. We were good at running the ball in every situation on friday. Does that mean every run was good? No, thats how the run game goes. You have to stick with it, we did not and got pass happy to our defenses detriment.

We stopped philly on one of their patented tush pushes. Does that make the tush push bad? No they stuck with it and ended up converting.

Edited by HighCalebR

11 minutes ago, craig said:

On the Love injury play, Myers also got injured.  I haven't been able to read much since the game...  Any news on him? 

I admit I shudder to think of Malik's security if he's got to start with Rhyan at center and Morgan at guard; or with Monk trying to hold up against NFL pass rushers.  Hoping Myers is OK?

Lafleur in his presser today said that Myers is fine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Count me in the group that doesn't care about Nixon's return. It's certainly not a slight on Nixon. That would have obviously been a coaching staff decision regardless.

(if it wasn't a staff decision and Nixon defied their direction, Nixon shouldn't get return duties going forward)

Lafleur took blame for it today in the presser.  Said Nixon was not given the proper information.  MLF wanted the ball at the 30.  Definitely didn't want it returned from 7 yards deep. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Lafleur in his presser today said that Myers is fine. 

I would hope so! The report was he had severe cramping. He's not a woman so it didn't last for more than a couple of hours when they got some fluids back into him. 

32 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Lafleur took blame for it today in the presser.  Said Nixon was not given the proper information.  MLF wanted the ball at the 30.  Definitely didn't want it returned from 7 yards deep. 

#firerich

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tperk said:

Ugly for sure. Watching Tom try and sneak into the second level and get at a LB or DB wasn't very pretty either. 

Its a cutoff block. If that guy chooses to go backside that should be a W. Now you gotta give him a shiver but everything should be moving away from where 93 jumps to. Theres 2 DTs in 1 gap thats a good thing generally.(Very athletic play by 93 FOR SURE) Jenkins is pulling outside which tells you this is going between pull and tackle. See how the lead block is shooting towards Krafts ***?

Now watch Walker. Much more detrimental to this play. See how hes the only guy moving straight to his right? He should be doubling 55 and moving 2nd level. Walker clogs everything up. See how 55 is ablr to clog the off tackle look that is this play? The back should be able to run away from 93 once he jumps inside.

But this is 1 play. Run game was still very good. This play is telling on a lot of Myers haters and not OL enjoyers. This is where the disconnect between media and staff on Myers comes from.

Disclaimer: Not saying this is a good play by Myers but its not as egregious as the twitter heads are going on about. Its a big boy play at the goal line. Low man wins. Hes shooting low at 100mph at his gap. (93 has predetermined hes shooting oppo gap, he made a guess. He guessed wrong his athleticism made him right) Thats what you want. What Walker is doing is the opposite of what you want down there. That patty cake bull**** will never get you across the line.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Disclaimer: Not saying this is a good play by Myers but its not as egregious as the twitter heads are going on about.

100% correct.  Fans see these tweets and assume the person tweeting understands what they are looking at.  It's simply not true.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Its a cutoff block. If that guy chooses to go backside that should be a W. Now you gotta give him a shiver but everything should be moving away from where 93 jumps to. Theres 2 DTs in 1 gap thats a good thing generally.(Very athletic play by 93 FOR SURE) Jenkins is pulling outside which tells you this is going between pull and tackle. See how the lead block is shooting towards Krafts ***?

Now watch Walker. Much more detrimental to this play. See how hes the only guy moving straight to his right? He should be doubling 55 and moving 2nd level. Walker clogs everything up. See how 55 is ablr to clog the off tackle look that is this play? The back should be able to run away from 93 once he jumps inside.

But this is 1 play. Run game was still very good. This play is telling on a lot of Myers haters and not OL enjoyers. This is where the disconnect between media and staff on Myers comes from.

Disclaimer: Not saying this is a good play by Myers but its not as egregious as the twitter heads are going on about. Its a big boy play at the goal line. Low man wins. Hes shooting low at 100mph at his gap. (93 has predetermined hes shooting oppo gap, he made a guess. He guessed wrong his athleticism made him right) Thats what you want. What Walker is doing is the opposite of what you want down there. That patty cake bull**** will never get you across the line.

Looks like it is supposed to go off left tackle.  Walker is supposed to down block, Myers is supposed to cut down traffic, and he flat out whiffs and ends up hitting no one.  

Jenkins gets outside to seal the edge and the outside TE blocks down to create the crease.  The interior TE is to get a hat on the guy and move him down some.  That block was awful as well, and I can't tell who it was.  

RG is to fire out and find some hat to hit, which he does, that allows Tom to try to get a hat on the second level.

Walker ends up looking around after the play is done as if he really didn't know what was going on.

I don't know know what you are trying to defend here.  The clip is about Myers awful attempt at a block.  And it's poor.  You pointed out Walker, and he was poor as well.

That was a microcosm of our short yardage run stuff for most of the game.  We didn't execute well at all in those situations.  It'll get better with more reps.  

For this one play, yah, Myers was bad.  You added Walker as being bad.  Totally agree.  I'll add that interior TE.  And what sunk the play was the failure at the point of attack by Walker and the TE.  Maybe the Myers miss wouldn't have killed the play had Walker and the TE done their jobs better.

So, here's the "thing" to me.  We ran at a LT and a TE while on the goalline.  The TE had to block what, a DE or DL?  Probably a DE, but that was a large guy.  We motioned another TE to that side.  Didn't threaten them with any kind of pass set to spread out the field a little.  

We left a lot of points on the board because of poor red zone execution and maybe a lack of creativity in the red zone on short yardage plays.  This play kind of encompasses all of that.