Ravens defense didn't look as intimidating?

mdonnelly21

6 hours ago, mdonnelly21 said:

I know its the Chiefs and they have Mahomes and Kelce. 

But, I simply on eye test did not notice the same tenacity and speed that the Ravens defense played with last year. 

Nobody looks dominant against a guy in the argument of the greatest QB of all time. 

• Like 5

- It’s one game.

- It’s Mahomes.

- It’s Week 1.

- They have a first time DC after losing MacDonald who also purged the assistant staff. 

Give it time. Plus they did lose some contributors from last season.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Soko said:

- It’s one game.

- It’s Mahomes.

- It’s Week 1.

- They have a first time DC after losing MacDonald who also purged the assistant staff. 

Give it time. Plus they did lose some contributors from last season.

Younger players stepping up may offset. Oweh and Ojabo are reportedly looking the best they ever had. They haven't had strong young speed on the edge in a long time and Ojabo showing up at all is a big step up. Trenton Simpson also looks like he'll pick up Patrick Queen's spot without much of a drop off. Nate Wiggins looks about as much of a hit as you can this early (gave up 1 catch for 1 yard in 17 snaps in game 1). Ar'Darius Washington also is a return from injury addition to add to a deep secondary from last year that the front office has raved about in particular. He was allegedly the highest "graded" defender from the Ravens Thursday. Not sure how they would have less speed when they are going younger.

The coaching brain drain is real, we still have to see with Orr. Defense is harder to sustain at the top of the league than offense year to year, but I still think this will be a top 5 group. Not the side of the ball to worry about.

Edited by wackywabbit

I thought the defense actually played rather well. Again, last year they came out and struggled, then settled in and clamped down the Chiefs in the 2nd half.

This was much the same, sans the one busted coverage for a TD. They turned over Mahomes, kept Kelce in check, limited the run game and made KC one dimensional and came up with key stops when they needed to down the stretch.

And this was their first game under a new DC as well.

It’s because Madubike is no longer a Justin…

but I know what you mean actually. It didn’t help that Rice was just fed the ball on basically the same route without being touched. Someone should have decleated him. They did seem less furious than usual. But yeah, week 1

Ravens had one of the best defensive seasons ever last year. There will be a drop off. But really like others have stated it's just one game. Ravens gave up 33, and 31 last year to the Rams, and Browns at home in the middle of the season.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

20 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Ravens had one of the best defensive seasons ever last year. There will be a drop off. But really like others have stated it's just one game. Ravens gave up 33, and 31 last year to the Ravens, and Browns at home in the middle of the season.

Some player departure but also losing the DC and some coaches………it’s tough to repeat being a top 5 unit year to year, much less what they accomplished. 

• Like 1