BDL 2024 Week 1: New Orleans Jazz @ Raleigh Firebirds

RedGold

Who wins?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• New Orleans Jazz
    • Raleigh Firebirds

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/12/2024 at 04:59 AM

First off, way too many spaces in Raleigh plan, makes it hard to read. Would be nice with more structure please :-)

Onto the game. NO has well documented issues: no RT (though Robinson vs Havenstein is a wash to me) and struggling RBs. But I’m still a Josh Allen truther and I really like his weaponry here - I think every piece complements each other just fine. Raleigh has a solid back seven, and I think their DL is well equipped to put the clamps on Jacobs/Henry. But I don’t know if they can put enough pressure on Allen and at some point I trust Moore or Rice at least to get open.

On the other side for sure tailoring your plan for McCafé only for him to be out is a massive blow. But I still expect reasonable success for Raleigh. Former BDL stud is capable replacement and Jordan Mason played well. I don’t expect anywhere the impact of CMC in the passing game however, and that’s where I really would have loved him and where Pete put focus on - rightfully so. NOLA defense is stout against the run but Raleigh OL is really good there as well so it’s going to be an interesting battle. I think the battle of the trenches is also balanced in the passing game, and I like the Stafford to Sutton connection. MHJ struggling in the opener is a major blow however and I think Jeudy is massively overrated personally.

In the end, I think Raleigh rallies at home to upset NOLA in a stunner. Raleigh 26 - New Orleans 23 in OT

Two things decide this game for me

1. The New Orleans receivers have a decided advantage in this game. I foresee a turnover or two forced by the Raleigh defense but Allen will eventually get going with his WRs vs a defense that is still sorting out the slot position.

2. The loss of C-Mac. The Stafford boost makes me think MHJ hits the ground running here. McCaffery is such an important factor in Raleigh’s gameplan and Moss can get 4.0 YPC; The other areas are a completely different story.

40-34 Nola.

8 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Two things decide this game for me

1. The New Orleans receivers have a decided advantage in this game. I foresee a turnover or two forced by the Raleigh defense but Allen will eventually get going with his WRs vs a defense that is still sorting out the slot position.

2. The loss of C-Mac. The Stafford boost makes me think MHJ hits the ground running here. McCaffery is such an important factor in Raleigh’s gameplan and Moss can get 4.0 YPC; The other areas are a completely different story.

40-34 Nola.

I thought we were cool…..

Ted Lieu Impeachment GIF by GIPHY News

I'm curious--multiple people said they think MHJr has a better game with Stafford than he did IRL with Murray. Why? He's not a prospect anymore, he's an NFL player with one catch for four yards. And while I'm a certified Kyler Murray hater, I'm not convinced he was a worse quarterback this week and while I believe in giving vets some credit early in the season for past performance, it's been a long time since we saw Stafford play at a truly high level.

Vote how you want, I just think it's odd to put this much faith in a guy who hasn't actually done anything at the pro level to be a difference maker.

46 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm curious--multiple people said they think MHJr has a better game with Stafford than he did IRL with Murray. Why? He's not a prospect anymore, he's an NFL player with one catch for four yards. And while I'm a certified Kyler Murray hater, I'm not convinced he was a worse quarterback this week and while I believe in giving vets some credit early in the season for past performance, it's been a long time since we saw Stafford play at a truly high level.

Vote how you want, I just think it's odd to put this much faith in a guy who hasn't actually done anything at the pro level to be a difference maker.

2 Points

1. Stafford is a target allocator like no one else in the league. Puka gets injured and Stafford fires 21/49 targets to Kupp.

2. Cam Britt-Taylor as CB1 means I’m factoring the coverage he would receiver from a player at this level. Britt is solid, obviously much more NFL opportunity than MHJ. But amongst this level of talent in our league, it’s a grave stage if you believe Britt would hold Taylor to similar production, particularly with a pass first QB who would likely see similar outputs from a volume standpoint.

6 hours ago, Blue said:

I'm curious--multiple people said they think MHJr has a better game with Stafford than he did IRL with Murray. Why? He's not a prospect anymore, he's an NFL player with one catch for four yards.

Do you truly believe that MHJR would've had the same exact production Week 1, regardless of his supporting cast? That, whether it was Murray, Stafford or Mahomes, MHJR would've ultimately finished with one catch for four yards?

6 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Do you truly believe that MHJR would've had the same exact production Week 1, regardless of his supporting cast? That, whether it was Murray, Stafford or Mahomes, MHJR would've ultimately finished with one catch for four yards?

Yes, because I have zero evidence to suggest otherwise but I have evidence his real-life QB doesn't trust him enough to force him the ball when he's not open.

19 minutes ago, Blue said:

Yes, because I have zero evidence to suggest otherwise but I have evidence his real-life QB doesn't trust him enough to force him the ball when he's not open.

Respectfully, I find that take wild. You're essentially saying that the supporting cast of a player does not matter... that you couldn't assume that a RB that gained 20 yards behind a terrible OLine would gain more yards behind an elite OLine.

Hell, this entire league centers around the activity of predicting which teams would win in a hypothetical game despite these teams never playing each other in real life... ever. Yet, here we are, guessing as to the outcome. Not considering how differing supporting casts may influence the performances of those players is crazy.

• Like 1