Bryce Young benched

game3525

8 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

Miami needs to give Carolina a call and make them a weird offer. They just need to find the right kind of weird to trigger Tepper's compulsiveness and get him to bite. Young is a better version of Tua anyways and McDaniel could realistically get the best out of him.

Maybe now that Tua's on a replaced hip and his brains are Denny's sunnyside up. Otherwise, no way. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sinceAtikevike said:

Geno/Baker/Darnold et al demonstrate that fan bases, coaching staff(s), and organizations all give up waaaaay too early on QBs. Rushing them out on the field before they have learned all of the answers within their scheme is entirely preventable. 

I'm rooting for Darnold as much as the next guy, but it has been 2 games.  He definitely shouldn't be used as an example of teams "giving up too early" because of 2 okay games.  And Geno was mid as hell last year.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Minshew vs the Red Rifle

Nobody will ever convince me that Dalton's nickname shouldn't have been Shawshank. 

Dude is Andy and Red. 

It was right there the entire time, and Shawshank would have been a badass nickname 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nobody will ever convince me that Dalton's nickname shouldn't have been Shawshank. 

Dude is Andy and Red. 

It was right there the entire time, and Shawshank would have been a badass nickname 

I had to look up why Morgan Freeman’s name in the movie is Red. Apparently it’s because in the book he’s an Irish guy with red hair. Makes sense. 

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I'm rooting for Darnold as much as the next guy, but it has been 2 games.  He definitely shouldn't be used as an example of teams "giving up too early" because of 2 okay games.  And Geno was mid as hell last year.

Totally fair; in the same way that QBs shouldn't get dumped on as frequently as they do, they also shouldn't get elevated on the basis of a few good games. Revise it to say "Darnold (assuming top 15ish QB play the rest of the way, no given)"...

2 hours ago, sinceAtikevike said:

Geno/Baker/Darnold et al demonstrate that fan bases, coaching staff(s), and organizations all give up waaaaay too early on QBs. Rushing them out on the field before they have learned all of the answers within their scheme is entirely preventable. 

I do agree on rushing guys out too quickly, but Geno, Baker, and Darnold all have pretty different cases. 

Geno wasn't progressing particularly fast for the Jets, lost out to a far better (at the time) QB, got hurt, and the Jets threw in the towel in favor of Darnold. Then he bounced around a bit behind established QBs, before finding a landing spot in Seattle. I think the Jets were justified in giving up on him, and his situation is the classic Renaissance. 

Baker was scapegoated. No doubt at all. There was no justifiable reason for Cleveland to throwing the towel on him. But that's why the Browns suck. 

Darnold, it's sort of iffy. He was pretty bad in New York and really didn't show much in Carolina either before getting hurt. Wound up in SF and then stayed in the Shanahan/McVay tree in Minnesota, where it seems to be working out. He's probably a system QB in that regard, and probably unlikely he would've worked himself into success in another one. They'd already tried in 2 different spots. 

I think the case.could be made that giving up on Geno was warranted, though premature, giving up on Baker was Browns incompetence, and giving up on Darnold was entirely warranted at the time. Seems to have worked out for all 3 right now, so there's that silver lining. But if the Jets tried to force the issue with Geno or Sam, they probably flop and never recover. 

3 hours ago, sinceAtikevike said:

For as unsavory as anything related to the GB Packers is, they have a history spanning different front office personnel of giving young QBs the time they need to learn (even bypassing "present-day" on-the-field help to give the QB that time).

The counterpoint to this is all the guys who don't pan out after they have been given up on, which is a much bigger sample.

A guy like Young, Gannon, Geno....these are very much outliers and that's not something you're typically going to chase and not something I'm keen to count on. 

Baker is a weird situation. I mean, you can go back years and find posts of mine talking about how he wasn't great, but he was always a starting level QB. 

11 hours ago, sinceAtikevike said:

Geno/Baker/Darnold et al demonstrate that fan bases, coaching staff(s), and organizations all give up waaaaay too early on QBs. 

They represent, what, 10% of the league’s starting QBs?

What does Josh Rosen, EJ Manuel, Johnny Manziel, Jake Locker, Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, Paxton Lynch, and soon to be Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, and Desmond Ridder tell us? Those results far outweigh the former’s.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

It's too early yes, but also, this is literally the first time Darnold has played with competency all around him.

7 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Maybe now that Tua's on a replaced hip and his brains are Denny's sunnyside up. Otherwise, no way. 

Nah, he is better than Tua before all of that. Doesn't mean he's good. They both suck. Unless they're plugged into a Shanahan offense with Tyreek Hill.

Edited by Nex_Gen

I just heard it today but is Bryce Young done on the Carolina Panthers already and will be traded?  That would be kind of shocking especially since Andy Dalton is the only other QB on their active roster and Jack Plummer is on the practice squad and that is it for them.

I hear the LA Rams and more importantly Miami Dolphins thrown out there....

Bailey Zappe, Jaren Hall and Michael Pratt are interesting guys on practice squads thoughout the league.  And Trey Lance/Cooper Rush, no reason for the Cowboys to have both and curious if they would let one of them go.

Will be interesting if they do indeed move on from Bryce Young this early in his 2nd year but honestly another team will want him based on how smart he is, how good of a worker he is and his upside, if anything could be one hell of a backup QB for years potentially with the way he leads and prepares.  

If I learned anything from Bryce Young, it is that I'm going to put a lot less stock on a QBs ability to improvise at the college level.  It is still valuable but I don't think it can be your best trait, especially if you aren't a top athlete or don't have great arm strength.

We're kind of seeing it with Caleb Williams now, although I think he'll be fine.  It is hard to win by relying heavily on that style of play. You see the highlight plays that Mahomes pulls off, but he also will kill you from the pocket all game if you let him.  

13 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

If I learned anything from Bryce Young, it is that I'm going to put a lot less stock on a QBs ability to improvise at the college level.  It is still valuable but I don't think it can be your best trait, especially if you aren't a top athlete or don't have great arm strength.

We're kind of seeing it with Caleb Williams now, although I think he'll be fine.  It is hard to win by relying heavily on that style of play. You see the highlight plays that Mahomes pulls off, but he also will kill you from the pocket all game if you let him.  

Taking out Patrick Mahomes, all of these current starters in the NFL were drafted because of their ability to create and make plays outside of the pocket and scrambling around.  All of them do it well or were projected to do it very well, sure some in the past were drafted also, got a chance and did not turn out but that skill set is not going away from being wanted in the NFL.

Lamar Jackson
Sam Darnold
Baker Mayfield
Dak Prescott
Jalen Hurts
Kyle Murray
Anthony Richardson
Jayden Daniels
Bo Nix
Josh Allen
Will Levis
Josh Allen
Aaron Rodgers
Justin Herbert
Justin Fields
Caleb Williams
Deshaun Watson

Could maybe include Trevor Lawrence, Daniel Jones and Brock Purdy in that list but I did not. 

That is 17 starters, if one includes those other three that will be 20.  So clearly scrambling to make plays is not a skill set that is going away at all in the NFL.  The issue with Bryce Young is more his size but really he has been just poorly managed, doubt he would be struggling like this if he went to the Houston Texans instead.  He will have time to prove it and if not will just be a backup unless he physically cannot hold up.  

Have 4800+ yards and 47 TDs in a true SOPH season in college for one of the best college football programs against some of the best competition, yeah that will get you drafted highly no question about it.

Take Dave Canales, came to Seattle after being an assistant strength and conditioning coach on USC for one year and left when Carroll got the job with Seattle, was a WR coach on the Seahawks for 7 years, "passing game coordinator" for one year , QB coach for one year, OC for 1 year on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  Not sure he is worth being a head coach but he is young, well spoken and wears tight fitting sweatshirts with hoods and looks like Kevin O'Connell in that way so I guess hire him.  Is he some QB whisperer because Baker Mayfield played well with Mike Evans a HOF WR to throw to, not sure about that but he was their choice to help Bryce Young, now he benches him week 2?