• or Seahawks (2-0)
    • Lions (1-1)
    • or Cardinals (1-1)
    • Ravens (1-1)
    • or Cowboys (1-1)
    • 49ers (1-1)
    • or Rams (0-2)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/22/2024 at 05:00 PM

Rewatching that game. Bro, Verse explodes off the line. His get off is perfectly in sync with the ball. You can’t teach that. He should have had a monster stat line that game.’but wow he’s freaking good. It’s almost like he’s offsides.. Credit to Purdy cuz dude has some sexy hips and moves away. But dawg, my man needs to stop over pursuing. He reminds me a lot of Jevon Kearse, just a nasty get off.

5 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Brandon Staley effect!!

Not the DC (yet). Sorenson is the DC and calling plays. Staley's background isn't in the defenses the niners run, so I think they wanted to give him time to adjust

I fully expect the team to switch over to Staley at some point though. This whole thing feels far too similar to the disaster that was the eagles DC situation last year

No other place to put this, but man, I'm still on the 'abolish the draft' train. I was just reading a story about the Manning cast and one of the impetuses for Peyton not accepting a regular broadcasting job was that he wanted to be able to catch more than just one Vols game a year. It made me think about how loyal all these NFL players are to their alma maters, while there seems to be a lot less loyalty to the NFL teams that now pay them tens of millions of dollars. When you start to think deeper about it, I really think the main difference is simply how they were sold on that college program and, the big one, that they got to choose where they went. The ability to make that choice for yourself, the autonomy that is granted, means so much. I really want to see that happen in the NFL. Abolish the NFL draft, give every team a set pool of money (that they can trade, like international signing money in the MLB), and let these kids loose. If you want the best player in the draft, you're going to have to use most of your money on them, but so be it. If a player really wants to sign with a specific team even though they can't offer him the most money, so be it. We've seen time and time again how much situation and location and coaching matters for a prospect. Let them choose where they want to go and I really think we'll get better products on the field for it.

The NFL draft is like a 2nd Christmas for me and for a lot of us here, so I get that. But I think change is needed. They could still hold a big event, but it would be more like a massive, combined signing day than what it is now. Players and their agents make their deals and decisions behind the curtain, then can come out onstage and announce where they are going and put on the hat just like they do now.

6 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

No other place to put this, but man, I'm still on the 'abolish the draft' train. I was just reading a story about the Manning cast and one of the impetuses for Peyton not accepting a regular broadcasting job was that he wanted to be able to catch more than just one Vols game a year. It made me think about how loyal all these NFL players are to their alma maters, while there seems to be a lot less loyalty to the NFL teams that now pay them tens of millions of dollars. When you start to think deeper about it, I really think the main difference is simply how they were sold on that college program and, the big one, that they got to choose where they went. The ability to make that choice for yourself, the autonomy that is granted, means so much. I really want to see that happen in the NFL. Abolish the NFL draft, give every team a set pool of money (that they can trade, like international signing money in the MLB), and let these kids loose. If you want the best player in the draft, you're going to have to use most of your money on them, but so be it. If a player really wants to sign with a specific team even though they can't offer him the most money, so be it. We've seen time and time again how much situation and location and coaching matters for a prospect. Let them choose where they want to go and I really think we'll get better products on the field for it.

The NFL draft is like a 2nd Christmas for me and for a lot of us here, so I get that. But I think change is needed. They could still hold a big event, but it would be more like a massive, combined signing day than what it is now. Players and their agents make their deals and decisions behind the curtain, then can come out onstage and announce where they are going and put on the hat just like they do now.

1 you’re on crack. 
2 the loyalty comes because it’s what made them. 
3 NIL destroyed all loyalty. It’s all about the money. 
4 teams like the Raiders,Cowboys,Giants and Dolphins would have all the best players in the world. Most popular spots and what not. All other teams would greatly suffer.

Sadly we live in a new world where loyalty isn’t rewarded. Kids are spoiled.

morals are gone. Moral compass is broken. We’ve gone away so far from what’s right. In a world where social media runs everything. You have kids watching other kids play. 
live their life. It’s a scary world. The world you speak of manning no longer exist. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Nothing personal, but I hate this suggestion.

We'd go back to the awful days of rookies getting those obscene contracts (hi, Sam Bradford) before ever playing a game. It just becomes a race to the bottom.

Not to mention, smaller market teams that can't offer LA weather, or New York City lifestyle etc will inevitably suffer. So many players who get drafted by these smaller markets fall in love with these places after they have lived there for a few years. 

With a salary cap, you aren't going to get 'loyalty' from the majority. They play the most violent popular sport in the world, and their careers can end at any moment. They are going to always do what is most financially best for them, and so they should.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

morals are gone. Moral compass is broken. We’ve gone away so far from what’s right. In a world where social media runs everything. You have kids watching other kids play. 
live their life. It’s a scary world. The world you speak of manning no longer exist. 

Go outside, dude. I can't stand this type of old man fear. The kids are alright; they're just living in the world we created for them.

15 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Nothing personal, but I hate this suggestion.

We'd go back to the awful days of rookies getting those obscene contracts (hi, Sam Bradford) before ever playing a game. It just becomes a race to the bottom.

No offense taken. It would be a big change, I've proposed it here more than once, and it's never been taken well. But I feel strongly that it would improve professional football and make players a lot happier.

There is a set pool of money, so there would be an extent to the 'obscenity' of the contracts. If a team wants to give one player all of the money, that's their prerogative. It's a tactical decision each team would have to make. Do you want that one stud player that badly, or would you rather have a few very good players instead? Do you have one massive hole on your team, or do you have a few spots you need to address?

Not to mention, smaller market teams that can't offer LA weather, or New York City lifestyle etc will inevitably suffer. So many players who get drafted by these smaller markets fall in love with these places after they have lived there for a few years. 

Good! That will incentivize those teams that can't inherently offer those things because of their location to up their game in other ways. For instance, Green Bay will have to make sure they always have the best coaching staff to entice prospects. The Cardinals will have to have cutting edge training facilities. Etc, etc. You're also discounting how many players go to these small markets and HATE them from the get-go and wish they were never there. What if it is really important that a player stay close to family in a specific state? What eliminating the draft would do is allow for these players to choose what is most important to them. Do they just want the most money? They can make that choice, and certainly some will make that choice. Some though will want to go to the best situation- for instance, this DC has the best scheme to utilize my skillset, and their secondary coach I know, respect, and trust to coach me up the best. Some will go to a team because of their location- close to family, friends, the weather, who cares, it would be their choice. Some players, like Arch Manning at Texas, valued his future and chose Texas knowing that he would sit for a year or more. He knew he needed that development time. Why shouldn't players going pro be offered that same option? If a QB feels ready to play immediately, he can go somewhere that agrees with him and offers him that option. If another feels they want time to develop, he would also have that option to go to a team that agrees with him and can offer him a situation where he would be behind an established starter.

If NY and LA don't have their choice of all players in free agency, and guys regularly sign elsewhere/everywhere, why would the draft be any different? Some players love and thrive in those environments, and a lot of others don't. This is the argument I see a lot, and it is relatively unfounded. The closest we've ever seen to this actually being a problem is in baseball right now, and it is exclusively with Japanese players and the Dodgers, and that is only because the Dodgers seem to be the only West coast team actually willing to spend money. I don't think there is a 'spending money on the roster' issue in the NFL.

With a salary cap, you aren't going to get 'loyalty' from the majority. They play the most violent popular sport in the world, and their careers can end at any moment. They are going to always do what is most financially best for them, and so they should.

Yes. That is my point. Shouldn't we be giving the players the option to do what is best for them right out of the gate? Why do they have to wait 4-5 years to gain any level of autonomy? What's best for a player isn't always just 'most money right now'. There are a ton of factors at play- they've got families to consider, their future playing careers to consider, and a lot of these guys care about their legacy. They would be able to choose the best situation for themselves.

What certainly isn't going to create loyalty is a literal draft. The only way for these football players to enter the highest level of competition is having their fate leave their own hands and hoping they get to go to a situation that is beneficial for them. How many great careers have we never seen because these great players went to spots where they weren't developed or used correctly? Or they and their families weren't taken care of by ownership? We're seeing a Sam Darnold resurgence right now- what if he got this level of coaching from the beginning? Arguably, the draft is a detriment to the game of football at the professional level. It's creating a worse product. Again, another baseball anecdote, but Sonny Gray was a great pitcher both before he got the Yankees and after he left the Yankees, yet he was horrible when he was in New York. Like, specifically in New York. His road ERA was fine, but his ERA in the Bronx was horrendous. He wasn't his best self as a player when he was there; his uneasiness was well documented. He was and is his best self when playing for a smaller market, and that's great! A lot of players in a lot of sports are the same way. It's a different situation obviously because was traded there, but the point I'm getting at stays the same- players should have the autonomy to choose the best situation for themselves.

And this is probably an even more unpopular take, but bad teams should be punished for being bad. Your coaching situation is unstable? You can't keep a GM employed for more than 2 years at a time? Your owner is cheap? Your training facility and playing surface are garbage? Then you deserve to be a bad team! You shouldn't get first dibs on good players just because of that. Fix your problems- spend money, hire good coaches (not just the hottest name or whoever is next up on the carousel), get state of the art facilities, then maybe these good rookies will want to play for you. It would incentivize owners to make their teams better in ways that they can and spend money where it should be spent.

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Maybe part 2, but not part 1.

Do you want the NFL to be like the NBA? As in, a league that bends over backwards to try and be player friendly and puts out a God awful product?

The NBA has a draft for rookies and free agency for vets similar to the NFL right now. How would this change, which would be a divergence from how the NBA runs things, make them more similar? Are you saying giving rookies more autonomy would cause all players to become overwhelmingly selfish or something? In your opinion, why does the NBA put out a god awful product, and how would that transfer over to the NFL if the draft were abolished?

It’s a private entity that offers life changing money for the generations upon generations. You make it sound like slavery. They have free will. They can do whatever they want. Like 1% of HS kids make it. What about the other 99% that didn’t make it? They either join or don’t join. Man, I wouldn’t wanna play in GB? Shoot I’ll just sit right and cry with my millions in hand. When you got guys going over seas who instantly sign their death note for a few thousands! To defend you and I. We can’t over glorify athletes man. At the end of the day it’s for entertainment purposes. The little kid from a Bronx tale pops up. You think Danny Dimes would visit you in the hospital? Would pay your bills if you fell ill? Hell nah. Dude made money in 1 year being so bad at football it’s not even funny. And you want to cuddle these guys even more? Absolutely nasty work. Because they’ll be closer their families? Sir!???????

• Like 4

1 hour ago, El Ramster said:

It’s a private entity that offers life changing money for the generations upon generations. You make it sound like slavery. They have free will. They can do whatever they want. Like 1% of HS kids make it. What about the other 99% that didn’t make it? They either join or don’t join. Man, I wouldn’t wanna play in GB? Shoot I’ll just sit right and cry with my millions in hand. When you got guys going over seas who instantly sign their death note for a few thousands! To defend you and I. We can’t over glorify athletes man. At the end of the day it’s for entertainment purposes. The little kid from a Bronx tale pops up. You think Danny Dimes would visit you in the hospital? Would pay your bills if you fell ill? Hell nah. Dude made money in 1 year being so bad at football it’s not even funny. And you want to cuddle these guys even more? Absolutely nasty work. Because they’ll be closer their families? Sir!???????

lol these dudes makes millions upon millions of dollars to play a kids game and we should be worried about “their happiness”  this forum is still a comedy gold mine even after 15 years. 

Like i get money doesn’t buy happiness, but it does buy a wave runner and Ive only seen one person frown on a Jet Ski and that was Rihanna 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Ramster said:

Dude I swear there's multiple people that post under your account lol