The good, the bad, the we lost to the panthers

NickButera

I'm not even mad this morning. This is exactly what I expected with the AP experiment. The sooner this train wreck is over, the sooner we can hope to get it back on the rails. 

For a "culture coach" to have his team look this lifeless, unprepared and uninterested is damning. They played with no urgency or fire in a home opener. AP keeps pandering to the fans who turned out and that was the product you put on the field. 

Rewind to APs comments last week about people overlooking and disrespecting his team and he does the same to the lowly Panthers.

Week 1 - "We got a wake up call". Week 3 - "Some players made business decisions today." This is on you AP.... You're the culture guy. Players pounded the table for you, why are they disinterested 3 weeks into the year?

AP got one thing right.... he wanted to play "the Raider way" and a miserable loss to a bad team is right on brand. 

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I'm not even mad this morning. This is exactly what I expected with the AP experiment. The sooner this train wreck is over, the sooner we can hope to get it back on the rails. 

For a "culture coach" to have his team look this lifeless, unprepared and uninterested is damning. They played with no urgency or fire in a home opener. AP keeps pandering to the fans who turned out and that was the product you put on the field. 

Rewind to APs comments last week about people overlooking and disrespecting his team and he does the same to the lowly Panthers.

Week 1 - "We got a wake up call". Week 3 - "Some players made business decisions today." This is on you AP.... You're the culture guy. Players pounded the table for you, why are they disinterested 3 weeks into the year?

AP got one thing right.... he wanted to play "the Raider way" and a miserable loss to a bad team is right on brand. 

He deserves the season. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s backing getsy. He keeps talking about running the ball but it doesn’t work and we’re spamming it over and over. I literally don’t understand how he can’t see what’s going on sometimes. 

50 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Yeah. It was an emotional decision rather than a logical one. Not surprising with Mark Davis at the helm.

We've been skirting around the "should we blow it up or not" thing for a couple of years now. Might finally get the chance to do it properly this offseason.

The major problem is, that it doesn't look like we have an overall plan or vision at all, how the Raiders should look like, and how we want to succeed.
In the last 3 coaching cycles we always picked randomly a HC and paired him with his favourite GM - and none of the three head anything in common with one another.
Which means of course, that you then have a bunch of guys on your roster or even on your coaching team, that doesn't fit all together.

Edgar Bennet for example is WRs coach since the Gruden era - don't want to criticize his work, 'cause I'm no expert in that - but how can he fit to a Gruden offense, McDaniels offense and a Getsy offense at the same time?

I am well aware that you can't overhaul the whole building in one off-season, but I think there should be a shift seen, which I don't honestly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He deserves the season. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s backing getsy. He keeps talking about running the ball but it doesn’t work and we’re spamming it over and over. I literally don’t understand how he can’t see what’s going on sometimes. 

Agree. Let him fully tank it. We don't need to see part 3 of the interim coach getting meaningless wins.

My fear is Davis is going to let them off the hook over the QB position. And I would not want this staff anywhere near my rookie QB. 

• Like 4

Didn't get to watch the game thankfully, wasn't thrilled by hiring AP, that said, let him finish the year. Prolly gonna be bad enough to see him relieved. Pretty much hated the gets hire, very uninspiring to say the least. I was worried the minute I read the "were not worried about the panthers" quote, definitely taken outta context, however "any given sunday" does mean something in the NFL AP.....DUH!  Only 1 target for bowers and Adam's in the first half? Run, run, pass? Again n again? Glad I couldn't watch. Smdh! Get it over with, find a real coach n qb for the love of all that's holy for sh*ts sake!! 

• Like 2

Where to begin with this one..................

The Good

Really struggling here, Andy Dalton was good have to take my hat off to him I suppose.

Tre Tucker and Jakobi Meyers were good and the Tucker TD was a great play by AOC and Tucker. Tucker is looking like a great player and deep threat tbh, honestly precious little else really.

There were a few guys hustling out there but it really showed the rest up. Spillane, Jones, Hobbs, Nesta, Pola Mao and Epps till injured.

The Bad

Obviously, we underestimated Carolina and expected just to turn up and win, every team is tough to beat. No excuses, they just were under prepared and Carolina wanted it more, disappointing given our HC prides himself on this type of thing. We need to see a reaction now.

Tackling, we just weren't mentally there I feel.

Lack of pass rush. Crosby was obviously hobbled and I'm not going to criticise Wilson too much as it's his first game back and he played sparingly, but someone else has to step up.

Run D, considering the guys we have in there they should be much better. Carolina not renowned for their awesome Oline but they absolutely dominated in the trenches

Some of the play calling was head scratching to say the least. Punt when down 20..........run on 3rd and long..........and a few more pretty egregious ones.

The game plan generally. The coaches must have been listening to this forum pre game, and thought they were just turning up for a scrimmage and could just do whatever they liked. They obviously wanted to run but didn't pay any heed to what gave us success last week. After one or two series it was obvious what was going to happen.

Gardner Minshew. Oline didn't really do him many favours but even when he had time he was like Michael Flatley back there with his happy feet in the pocket, just erratic as anything. A few really blatant misses and a terrible interception the icing on the cake.

The Ugly

The NFL is tough, every week it's a struggle. I was expecting us to underestimate the Panthers and keep them in the game, make it a nail biter but what happened was a shellacking. We just got absolutely abused by probably the poorest team in the NFL. Wholly unacceptable showing by the players and coaches. It is only one game but they definitely need a bounce back game now. For me, the sky isn't falling. We're not as good as beating the Ravens suggests nor as bad as we showed yesterday. Let's see what this team does now to bounce back from this, this will be a true test of character.  

• Like 7

Not engaging in the AP trashing that comes with every loss. It's tiresome and we just get whipsawed as a fan base each week.  

But what I want to know is what changed from a big win last week that caused "business decisions". Adams was clearly frustrated but he had a massive game last week and has his fair share of blame for yesterday with his costly drops (and possible miscommunication on INT). 

I suspect it is players on defense AP is referring to, because the tackling was atrocious. Bad play is one thing but a lack of effort is perplexing on the heels of a huge win.

2019 - Jets 34 Raiders 3

2020 - Falcons 43 Raiders 6

2021 - Giants 23 Raiders 16

2022 - Saints 24 Raiders 0

2023 - Bears 30 Raiders 12

2024 - Panthers 36 Raiders 22

How we have one of these games against a bad team while we are off a win each year is crazy. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

Not engaging in the AP trashing that comes with every loss. It's tiresome and we just get whipsawed as a fan base each week.  

But what I want to know is what changed from a big win last week that caused "business decisions". Adams was clearly frustrated but he had a massive game last week and has his fair share of blame for yesterday with his costly drops (and possible miscommunication on INT). 

I suspect it is players on defense AP is referring to, because the tackling was atrocious. Bad play is one thing but a lack of effort is perplexing on the heels of a huge win.

2019 - Jets 34 Raiders 3

How we have one of these games against a bad team while we are off a win each year is crazy. 

All the more reason we should've been prepared as a team.....as fans we were. Smh. Not a bash of AP, this is a team bash.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Agree. Let him fully tank it. We don't need to see part 3 of the interim coach getting meaningless wins.

My fear is Davis is going to let them off the hook over the QB position. And I would not want this staff anywhere near my rookie QB. 

Manning comes out the following year, soo it wouldn’t be the worst thing if we suck again next year. Assuming we actually just suck and try to get #1.

But we’d likely get 5 or 6 and end up in same spot as usual.

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Some of the play calling was head scratching to say the least. Punt when down 20..........run on 3rd and long..........and a few more pretty egregious ones

Speaks to a lack of identity. We saw AP opt to punt on 4th and short week 1 in a one score game. We saw saw him punt down 20 this week. But early in the game they call a run play on 3rd and long to set up a 4th down play and throw short of the sticks incomplete. 

Just feels like they have no idea who or what they want to be. Conservative to a fault one moment, then unnecessarily aggressive at other times. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Manning comes out the following year, soo it wouldn’t be the worst thing if we suck again next year. Assuming we actually just suck and try to get #1.

But we’d likely get 5 or 6 and end up in same spot as usual.

I'd love to land Manning, but it's to hard to predict a path to that. Not to mention, he's a Manning. Would his family want him in this organization? Not exactly the model of stability and success. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I'd love to land Manning, but it's to hard to predict a path to that. Not to mention, he's a Manning. Would his family want him in this organization? Not exactly the model of stability and success. 

In fairness, the Colts were a nothing franchise before Peyton arrived. Very little stability or success of note.

The Eli and the Chargers thing seemed a specific issue with the way AJ Smith ran that team, if I remember correctly. And you're maybe not wrong; there's probably a very good chance they take one look at the way Mark Davis does things and think, "nope!" - but there are also plenty of good reasons to want to come to Vegas as well.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, justwinbaby81 said:

2019 - Jets 34 Raiders 3

That’s what I’m wondering who are these business decision guys

hate to say it but adams comes to mind missing blocks missing passes

whats the deal with jpj and why was he replacing the rg