Who has buyers remorse right now?

stl4life07

2 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

For me its the Jags with QB Trevor Lawrence. The Jags are awful. Lawrence is looking at best like an average QB. The Jags have lost what their last 8 games that Lawrence has started. I know its not all on the QB but at some point Lawrence has to win a game. Heck Dalton comes in on the horrible Panthers a won. Fields came in days before their Week 1 game finding out Wilson wont play due to injury and he won. Willis is 2-0 in his starts with the Packers. Darnold is 3-0 in his starts with the Vikings. Those QBs were outcasts. Lawrence was supposed to be a generational talent coming out of high school and college. He has got his money. ALOT of it and he feels like a mistake currently. 

Honestly, i still don't really think Lawrence extension was a mistake.  It's a stupid amount of money, but it was always going to be that way.  I still think having Lawrence gets the Jaguars closer to contending that not having him.  He's stumbling badly right now, but he's far from "The Problem" with this mess of an organization.  He still absolutely has the ability to be the solution.

I think if anything, the bolded names should reinforce exactly how much situation matters.  And the Jaguars situation is a rolling dumpster fire of dysfunction, once again.

The OLine is the same trash that was trash last year.  The playcalling and frankly offensive design in general still sucks and nobody even seems to want to fess up to where it's actually coming from...all we know, is that it takes the majority of the play clock just to get the play in (and that Trevor has played significantly better when the offense ups the tempo).  The Coach and GM are apparently squabbling behind the scenes (headstrong coach and Baalke notorious for butting heads with coaches - no way, who could have seen this coming?).  The Owner is a dithering meddler who dips in and out between trying to involve himself without a clue, and trying to pretend he's "hands off" by letting problems fester for way too long.  The defense has massively overcorrected to a basically JV concept schematically and doesn't have nearly enough talent at key positions to play anything like that kind of football effectively.  The list goes on an on.  It's just typical because Jaguars dysfunction all around.

You plop Lawrence down into any of those other guys situations, and he'd be winning games easily too.  Those are strong teams that aren't asking their QB to do that much...and it's working.  The Jaguars are a bad team that is asking their QB to do too much, and he's starting to crumble under it.  He was this "generational talent" coming out of HS, and even coming out of College.  The idiotic retconning of what Lawrence was as a prospect is just as annoying as the hyperbole about how bad he's been recently, and the overall ignorance of context.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Honestly, i still don't really think Lawrence extension was a mistake.  It's a stupid amount of money, but it was always going to be that way.  I still think having Lawrence gets the Jaguars closer to contending that not having him.  He's stumbling badly right now, but he's far from "The Problem" with this mess of an organization.  He still absolutely has the ability to be the solution.

I think they could've moved Lawrence to some poverty franchise for a mint, signed Mayfield or Darnold  or Minshew or drafted someone else and been just as close or closer though. 

Lawrence is nowhere near good enough to warrant a cap hamstringing contract. If anything, keeping him around now puts them further from contention than they could've been. 

• Like 2

One team I'm guessing doesn't have buyers remorse right now is the Commanders picking Jayden Daniels over Drake Maye. Seem to recall several Commanders fans on here being outraged about the Commanders taking Daniels over Maye. I hope there is a helping of crow being prepared by those fans right now lol. 

I think the Browns for the Watson contract and trade has to be number one and that's the clear winner. I mean to get beat by the Giants at home is bad. And we know the coach is great he revitalized flacco last year and we thought Flacco sucked since he signed with Denver .

Edited by thebestever6
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

One team I'm guessing doesn't have buyers remorse right now is the Commanders picking Jayden Daniels over Drake Maye. Seem to recall several Commanders fans on here being outraged about the Commanders taking Daniels over Maye. I hope there is a helping of crow being prepared by those fans right now lol. 

Daniels has looked very good, but let's pump the brakes a little. It's only been 3 games.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Daniels has looked very good, but let's pump the brakes a little. It's only been 3 games.

I'll definitely consider pumping the brakes when I see Maye do something that makes me second guess that Daniels is the better player. I just haven't seen anything last year in their final college season, or during the draft process, or to start their NFL careers that makes me think Maye is a better player. I'll gladly risk having my crow ready if the time comes though lol. 

Just now, tyler735 said:

I'll definitely consider pumping the brakes when I see Maye do something that makes me second guess that Daniels is the better player. I just haven't seen anything last year in their final college season, or during the draft process, or to start their NFL careers that makes me think Maye is a better player. I'll gladly risk having my crow ready if the time comes though lol. 

Maye has played like 10 snaps in a mop-up role. Chill.

• Like 2

When I watch Lawrence, the main issue I see that keeps coming up is that when he faces a money down (3rd and med or longer), his solution is to usually throw a 50/50 ball to a semi-covered WR and hope it works out. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. But he doesn't seem committed to finding the BEST receiving option, he is content to find a decent opportunity to convert with a high-difficulty throw-and-catch. Although it is possible that he is finding the best option and the Jags receivers/scheme are just not very good.

29 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Was this just a crap on Jaguars thread in disguise lol

If this was truly a crap on the Jaguars thread Id say Bortles or Lawrence lol

Bortles at least took the Jags to an AFCCG and came so close to a Superbowl. If it wasnt for the refs being the refs helping the Pats out bc of that Myles Jack fumble recovery. The refs saying he was down by contact changed that game. 

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You should have buyers remorse with Tre White….

Jets with Reddick is an obvious one

Eagles with Huff because he sucks

Dolphins with McDaniel? Just will never beat a good team

Cowboys and pumping so much money into players that can’t win them important games whilst their defense festers 

Yeah I agree. Tre White hasnt been even close to what I thought he would be. My only hope is that he is just working his way back from the serious injuries and not playing for awhile with his first action being a few weeks ago in a live game. But so far hasnt been good for him. 

Colin Cowherd summed it up correctly when he said the Cowboys pay average to slightly above average players like they are elite. So they always have buyers remorse. Even paid Dak now twice. Increasing his salary of course and has yet to even take them to a conference championship game. 

10 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I think they could've moved Lawrence to some poverty franchise for a mint, signed Mayfield or Darnold  or Minshew or drafted someone else and been just as close or closer though. 

Lawrence is nowhere near good enough to warrant a cap hamstringing contract. If anything, keeping him around now puts them further from contention than they could've been. 

Trading Lawrence was always just a fantasy armchair GM thing.  Teams don't do that.  When you've got a super high profile top pick young guy who could be "The Guy" you simply do not trade them.  If they even started thinking about floating the idea of trading him with other teams, those other teams would immediately run for cover and start finding reasons not to trade for him.  You can't deal a promising super high upside but inconsistent young QB for "value" without everyone in the market catching a whiff of the fact that something is wrong.

And frankly...i vehemently disagree with the idea that having Lawrence puts them further from contention than they could have been.  What was the real alternative?  Mayfield was always staying with the Bucs because he finally found "the right situation".  Minshew had already run his course in Jacksonville and he isn't taking any team anywhere meaningful.  He can win you some games, lose you some games...maybe even get you to the playoffs with a strong enough supporting cast...but he's very clearly not "The Answer".  Darnold has like...a few decent games under his belt, in a fantastic situation with a great coaching staff, strong supporting cast, and very little pressure or expectations.  Outside that, he's been pure ****.  Far worse than anything Lawrence has done, including this awful run of play he's been on since he got his leg messed up and then got his brains scrambled and inexplicably remained in the game last year.

It's asinine and meaningless to effectively float the idea that "they could have been just as 0-3 with any of these options".  Sure.  It's been a disaster start to the season and it's probably just going to get worse.  But trying to eek out a win here or there isn't the point.  Not even remotely.  The point is to try to win a Championship.  Which Lawrence, as poorly as he may or may not be playing right now in his current situation...puts you massively closer to than any of those other realistic options.  He still has the upside to be a perennial contender caliber QB.  If you can get the other things right around him...which is what you have to do with guys like Baker anyway.  And you have to get that in place just to get guys like Darnold and Minshew up to "decent".

His contract also isn't nearly as "hamstringing" as you think.

15M

17M

24M

35M

47M

over the remainder of this season and the four to come.  It ratchets up to the "crazy numbers" in 2029 and 2030, but the guaranteed money is done 2028 and there's a substantially amount of "void year" trickeration involved in the contract that will inevitably redistribute that cap hit to an completely different "effective" number.

The absolutely trash thing about this, is that the brass didn't find any way to actually put a competent team and staff around him for this year, where there's ample opportunity to make waves while his cap number is still extremely low.  It's a pathetic, embarrassing waste of a season.

10 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

When I watch Lawrence, the main issue I see that keeps coming up is that when he faces a money down (3rd and med or longer), his solution is to usually throw a 50/50 ball to a semi-covered WR and hope it works out. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. But he doesn't seem committed to finding the BEST receiving option, he is content to find a decent opportunity to convert with a high-difficulty throw-and-catch. Although it is possible that he is finding the best option and the Jags receivers/scheme are just not very good.

It's been pretty well documented that the Jaguars overall concepts, scheme, and playcalling in "money downs" and especially the redzone, are very suboptimal at best...if not outright braindead.

People who watched the MNF massacre should've seen this.  It's stuff like repeatedly running 3rd down route concepts that land targets a yard or two short of the sticks with no real designed method of making it.  It's the lack of motion to give him pre-snap information, and when they do use motion, it's either utterly pointless hand waving, or just ends up confusing their own unit more than the defense.  Play calls are almost never in early enough to glean useful reads out of action anyway...it's more a struggle to just get set and snap the ball before the play clock runs out.  And the OLine completely sucks, and offers next to zero credible running threat even against pass-focused defensive fronts.

We've seen plenty of instances of Lawrence playing absolutely clutch football, coming up with big plays on money downs.  It's just gotten consistently worse, and that's indicative of a coaching and personnel problem, unless you believe that Lawrence suddenly forgot how to perform on those "money downs" and became a total flake.

10 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

If this was truly a crap on the Jaguars thread Id say Bortles or Lawrence lol

Bortles at least took the Jags to an AFCCG and came so close to a Superbowl. If it wasnt for the refs being the refs helping the Pats out bc of that Myles Jack fumble recovery. The refs saying he was down by contact changed that game. 

Bortles didn't take anyone anywhere.  😆  An absolutely otherworldly defense, a RB who could bull his way to yardage and a commitment to letting him do it, and some receivers playing well over their heads...is what took them to the AFC Championship Game and within a botched call of the Super Owl.  Bortles was always just along for the ride, and when asked to do next to nothing, managed to hold it together for the most part for a season and not screw up too badly, or too often.