BDL 2024 Week 4: Cancun Kaiju @ Rome Eternals

RedGold

Who wins?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/03/2024 at 04:01 AM

I like Cancun here. I think their offensive game plan felt inventive and it surprised me. I think the heavy run ratio and particular those shotgun draw plays will be really positive plays for them in this contest. I think Rome's strategy was a really good one in doubling a player like Metcalf who has been having an elite season, but in this match-up it really felt like Metcalf was the apple Cancun dangled to attack from a different direction this week. So the Cancun team is challenged to win with something different and they manage to do so, despite a really well thought out Rome gameplan that I think most weeks is how Cancun looks to execute.

• Like 3

I like how both Cancun coaches glowed about anticipating things that just didn't happen. Cancun to a T. Now it doesn't mean I'm not voting for them, because a starting 4WR set with a QB turned into a statue by an injury and Lake Eichenberg starting at RT is a deal breaker for me. But it does allow me to b**** on in my vote comment, and thanks everyone for that.

Cancun 23 - Rome 10

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

I like how both Cancun coaches glowed about anticipating things that just didn't happen. Cancun to a T.

*Insert joke here at BCB's expense about choosing to start a hobbled Herbert over Darnold.

That aside, this was a reason for my scheme:

My Guess

On 9/29/2024 at 12:14 PM, RedGold said:

utilize flood routes and crossing routes with deeper post concepts to get Waddle the ball vertically. In order to deny cheap flood routes and to eliminate the outside run game, as well as completely take the screen game out of the equation by using Corners in the flats off of the LOS jam, we are going to go with a heavier dose of Cover 2 this week, staying in our 2 high S look

His Gameplan:

To attack the zones we want to run levels, floods z seams, land other zone buster plays.  Every call outside of very long will have easy underneath drag option tp get a quick 4-5 yards easily.  Once they start creeping up to stop it, we'll hit patterns dirrctly behind it while running off the deeper coverage with a speedy WR.

Looks like I was spot on.

Let's take another look. My guess:

We will be staying on Top of Waddle and baiting Rome's QB on the first and second level throws, believing with his likelihood of flood concepts, that we can force an interception or two, or else force the ball to the flat.

On third downs or long yardage second downs, we like the ability to get a personnel NASCAR group on the field and drop the backside EDGE into the flat coverage, rolling a safety over the top Waddle, and turning Pitre loose in the alley as a run fitter/QB blitzer. He will also have eyes on Dobbins in case they try to utilize him in the screen or passing game.

His Gameplan:

The screen game is also going to be a much bigger part of the plan this week as it works well against a zone based defense. Not only will it be RB screens but bubble screens as well to a WR. We'llalso be incorporatee some jet sweeps with waddles to keep them guessing . Presnap expect motion on just about every play. 

Maybe those 2 are coincidence, let me check again...

My guess:

If Rome decides to try to get Amari involved in the passing game, we like Cover 2 as a way of getting some hands on him early, as separation is a definitive issue with him in this point in his career, and we don't believe we need to respect him in playing any type of off coverage.

What we have is simple: Stop Dobbins, Stop Waddle, exploit Ethan Pocic, and make the QB run for his life this week, using their philosophy against them on the outside run, boot, flood, and play-action passing concepts.

His gameplan

Generally speaking Waddle and Robinson will be be lined up outside with Cooper and Shakir in the slot.  We will also ease Keenan Allen back with some slot snaps moving Cooper out and replacing Robinson.  Expect the slot wr to get a combined 20-25 or so targets assuming Cancun maintains aa it's normal zone based defense.

Tl/Dr.   Quick strike passing game with occasional deep shots.  Screen passes as extension of run game. Uptempo offense to tire out defense for late in half/game running 

Sorry Ted, looks like there's a language barrier. Still love you though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

*Insert joke here at BCB's expense about choosing to start a hobbled Herbert over Darnold.

That aside, this was a reason for my scheme:

My Guess

His Gameplan:

Looks like I was spot on.

Let's take another look. My guess:

His Gameplan:

Maybe those 2 are coincidence, let me check again...

My guess:

His gameplan

Sorry Ted, looks like there's a language barrier. Still love you though.

i mean if you want to run your guys on the outside into blocks on bubble screens  and then bump Cooper in the slot with whoever the LB or "4th corner" is inside, I'll take that as a win no to mention the boundary corner in the flats absolutely allows the mid level out to continuously happen behind him.

Though i am surprised it took this long for someone to mention the fact i'm onto my 6th OT to fill in for injuries this week...lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

i mean if you want to run your guys on the outside into blocks on bubble screens  and then bump Cooper in the slot with whoever the LB or "4th corner" is inside, I'll take that as a win no to mention the boundary corner in the flats absolutely allows the mid level out to continuously happen behind him.

I wasn’t anticipating a mediocre WR in the slot and figured he would be outside. But hey, if you think you can run a bubble screen against a cover 2, that’s pretty meme worthy.

As for your other comment, the mid level only happens in an ace 2x2 formation considering to trips, Pitre would be aligned on a #2 on the mid level with the free safety over top vertically…and in ace you aren’t getting a third level route unless it’s the RB, who the corner has after the initial jam at the LOS with flat pursuit from the LB.

So, yeah, it happens behind the corner and in front of the safety, who is sitting in that lane. LOL

8 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Though i am surprised it took this long for someone to mention the fact i'm onto my 6th OT to fill in for injuries this week...lol