Senior Bowl 2018

Mind Character

10 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I'll be honest. I've made my point, and going this far to discredit a guy (he had two shots! over two years! I assume QB X would've got even better! even though entire rosters shift year to year in college...) just feels like "I've made up my mind and digging to China for reasons." I don't have anything else on the subject to offer. The guy is the best QB in college football, as a pro-prospect, right now and he's getting dumped on like crazy for, admittedly, being a #$%^ and being short. Both legit concerns, but I don't buy any of the stuff that's been brought up as far as on-field performance to justify knocking the guy.

I'm not discrediting him.  The more I see him the more I like him, he is a polarizing kid.  I was stating that he did have an offseason to improve against a team that was a defensive terror last year and lost several key contributors.  If the Browns think he is the best QB/best fit to lead them to competing, than I'm all for it.  He's definitely a likeable guy. He just isn't my preference. 

From what I heard and saw: Josh Allen seems like a great guy but has his talent flaws. Maybe it was nerves? I'm still going to say he gets picked in the top 10 though. (hopefully again we can fleece an extra pick out of Elway... if Indy doesn't beat us to the punch). 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

34 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

From what I heard and saw: Josh Allen seems like a great guy but has his talent flaws. Maybe it was nerves? 

If he had a career completion percentage over 56% I may actually believe that.

3 hours ago, brownie man said:

I really like this Desean Hamilton guy 

Allen doesnt look too different from Kizer

Let's not hindsight bias this thing so much.

Deshone Kizer was by far a superior prospect to Allen.

Kizer had a tremendous 2016 with regression in 2017, but what he put together against Texas in 2017 and those first few games had him as potential number 1 overall for a reason.

Kizer had elite pocket stature and strong pocket pressure/blitz avoidance movement.

Josh Allen flees the pocket any time he sees an opposing jersey color flash.

What Allen does outside the pocket is otherworldy, but what he does within the pocket leaves much to be desired.

Allen's in pocket Accuracy is worse than Deshone Kizer the college prospect as well.

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Provisos: It's one throw. Don't anybody make conclusions based off of this.

Also: This is the perfect analogy for these two prospects.

if a person likes Josh Allen, this means nothing.

If a person likes Baker Mayfield, this means something.

My favorite favorite thing around this time is the polarization of in-practice reporting/twittering etc along with the post practice report.

Literally, there were numerous countervailing good versus bad reports on Mayfield and Allen today, and these people all watched the same practice supposedly.

Just now, Mind Character said:

if a person likes Josh Allen, this means nothing.

If a person likes Baker Mayfield, this means something.

My favorite favorite thing around this time is the polarization of in-practice reporting/twittering etc along with the post practice report.

Literally, there were numerous countervailing good versus bad reports on Mayfield and Allen today, and these people all watched the same practice supposedly.

Wait, really? I didn't see a single overly positive Allen report. I saw "well, he wasn't good but look at that arm!" stuff, but no actual positive reports. Am I just not at all connected to "old school football guy" twitter anymore? Did they block me and I didn't notice?

And yeah, that was the point of my underwritten comment. The shot itself can't have any conclusions drawn from it, it's just a hilarious analogy for the things most of the pro-Baker people like about him and the anti-Allen folks hate about him.

21 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Wait, really? I didn't see a single overly positive Allen report. I saw "well, he wasn't good but look at that arm!" stuff, but no actual positive reports. Am I just not at all connected to "old school football guy" twitter anymore? Did they block me and I didn't notice?

And yeah, that was the point of my underwritten comment. The shot itself can't have any conclusions drawn from it, it's just a hilarious analogy for the things most of the pro-Baker people like about him and the anti-Allen folks hate about him.

Mostly these are just physical attribute tests. Yeah you need a good arm to be an NFL QB. Being where they are already means they have that attribute though. You can make up a little ground with wow throws or lose some with poor performances but we've all got video of actual games so 95% of what I want to see from any prospect is already there.

Players can get better at the next level or get worse. That is the gamble of the draft. Most of the time you get in games who you see play in division I college games. It's fun though, just like the combine and pro days. If ever a WR needs to run a straight line in a t-shirt and shorts on gameday we'll know who does it best. If you ever need a QB to throw into a net without pressure in a game we'll know who we should draft for that purpose.

Once there is adrenaline involved in a game situation everything can change. Some play better in that circumstance and some play worse. That's why games are by far the best way to judge a prospect imo even if it isn't 100% accurate. That said, you are correct that it does represent their games overall and there is humor in that. Otherwise as I know you know, it means nothing. 

33 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

That's called post practice correction. When people start writing stuff up to submit on a site they check other people's work.

During the practice was a different story.

However, my point and why I specified the "in-practice reporting/twittering versus the post practice reporting" was that DURING the practice there were countervailing reports everywhere as the Josh Allen Truthers were twitter reporting only positive stuff/evaluations and belittling Allen's mistakes, as well as timidly praising Baker.

Others in the pro-Baker camp, wouldn't acknowledge a lot of Baker's struggles early, Josh Allen's deep ball prowess, but had a field day with Allen's many misses.

Oh I agree with you, and my post wasn't about you FGK as i see you as a person that loves Baker but has logical reasons to have that opinion. My point was how bipolar draftnik twitter was depending on their original evaluation of Allen or Baker.

It just always makes me laugh.

16 hours ago, Mind Character said:

However, my point and why I specified the "in-practice reporting/twittering versus the post practice reporting" was that DURING the practice there were countervailing reports everywhere as the Josh Allen Truthers were twitter reporting only positive stuff/evaluations and belittling Allen's mistakes, as well as timidly praising Baker.

Others in the pro-Baker camp, wouldn't acknowledge a lot of Baker's struggles early, Josh Allen's deep ball prowess, but had a field day with Allen's many misses.

Oh I agree with you, and my post wasn't about you FGK as i see you as a person that loves Baker but has logical reasons to have that opinion. My point was how bipolar draftnik twitter was depending on their original evaluation of Allen or Baker.

It just always makes me laugh.

Oh yeah, I hear you. I was legitimately wondering how I missed the Allen stuff. But now that I looked at who I'm following on twitter, I think it's because I unfollowed a lot of the "old boys club" over the last year or so (Adam Caplan, Greg Gabriel, Peter King).

Yeah, Baker didn't do well in 1 on 1s. It was pretty clear he was having trouble adjusting to the new players, he'd just gotten in a couple hours before, etc. It wasn't really until the 7 on 7s and full team drills that he started lighting it up.

Which, I think actually tells you something about him as a prospect. I could go with the cliched "he's a competitor!" and while that's true, I think it points to something else. Mayfield's strength is in his mental game combined with accuracy. He makes such quick reads, especially post-snap, that he can almost always find someone open-ish. In 1 on 1s, you don't have that luxury, you throw the ball no matter what. I think you can see that as a weakness or strength, but I lean strength because I'd always rather have the guy who plays best in a real game scenario than one who excels in something you should only EVER see in practice (a must throw, no option to check out of it or go to another read, route).

Archived