The Official Boxing Thread IV - Golovkin vs Alvarez

J-ALL-DAY

28 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I mean, it's not going away but it's clearly fading. MMA has blown past it without impunity.

Strongly disagree. Both are doing well and it's not like MMA doesnt have its problems (PEDs, bad stoppages, rankings, canceled fights due to weight cuts, sideshow fights, etc). Boxing has had a slow down (to the states somewhat) given how much Europe has been on top of the sport recently but it's really given us good fights all over. The numerous organizations doesn't make it easy but the sport is still in fine shape.

13 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

Strongly disagree. Both are doing well and it's not like MMA doesnt have its problems (PEDs, bad stoppages, rankings, canceled fights due to weight cuts, sideshow fights, etc). Boxing has had a slow down (to the states somewhat) given how much Europe has been on top of the sport recently but it's really given us good fights all over. The numerous organizations doesn't make it easy but the sport is still in fine shape.

Another thing...stateside, UFC will continue to blow away boxing. Boxing has one big time draw stateside and that's Canelo and he fights twice a year max. UFC's focal point is Vegas and they can trot out superstars like McGregor, Adesanya, Jones (formerly Khabib but he recently retired). I don't think boxing is doing well vs UFC in America right now.

All respect to Crawford, but this was more that Brook simply didn't have his legs and is done. He won the early rounds and I expected him to do that, but the FIRST clean shot that landed....and it wasn't even all that hard of a shot, and he completely fell apart. Granted, it was a shot he didn't see coming, but a counter jab/hook is going to do THAT much damage? Yeah, he really needs to call it quits.

But he was definitely landing his own jab in the first three rounds and landed some nice right hands. Brook of three or four years ago is real competitive with Bud, but not this version. I was wrong in thinking he would hold up better as he took some big shots from both GGG and Spence and never was hurt like that. 

Spence vs Crawford has to happen next year and I think it does. I got Spence in a classic. He clips Bud at some point with a hook and either drops or stuns him badly and that will be the difference in the fight. 

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Boxing can't touch MMA right now. If Bud Crawford is the biggest name in boxing compared to Conor McGregor in MMA, it's a god damn landslide.

Bud Crawford isn’t the biggest name in boxing. No one should claim that. It’s Canelo. 

On 11/14/2020 at 10:32 PM, beekay414 said:

Bud Crawford is fighting on ESPN for free. Conor McGregor drew the biggest gate in Madison Square Garden's history.

McGregor is on another level, but Crawford isn't even close to being the biggest name in boxing.

Canelo and Joshua are leaps and bounds more popular than Crawford. Spence, Wilder and Davis are more popular than Crawford and then of course you have Pacquiao.

MMA is no question bigger than boxing stateside. Worldwide? Boxing is probably still more popular outside of Brazil. 

• 2 weeks later...