The Official Boxing Thread IV - Golovkin vs Alvarez

J-ALL-DAY

22 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

What an embarrassing fight lol. Roy was huffing and puffing from round 1 and clinched way more than he punched. 

Embarrassing? These are two 50 year olds, what were you expecting? Mike Tyson actually impressed me. He hasn't fought in 15 years and had solid stamina and looked pretty good. He was snapping his hooks and landing some nice body shots. Roy is completely done and his knees are a mess so no surprise he gassed out so early.

Snoop Dogg clearly was the best thing of the event. His call during the Nate/Jake fight was epic.

Overall fun night of fights/entertainment. 

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Embarrassing? These are two 50 year olds, what were you expecting? Mike Tyson actually impressed me. He hasn't fought in 15 years and had solid stamina and looked pretty good. He was snapping his hooks and landing some nice body shots. Roy is completely done and his knees are a mess so no surprise he gassed out so early.

Snoop Dogg clearly was the best thing of the event. His call during the Nate/Jake fight was epic.

Overall fun night of fights/entertainment. 

Yeah.

I was impressed by Mike too, but we didn’t get to see him fight much cause Roy kept clinching him every 5 seconds which made the fight extremely more boring than it needed to be. 

My expectations were pretty low or nonexistent really and Mike obviously exceeded them both in the ring and after the fight when he was really nice to Roy and didn’t say he won the fight and was okay with a draw even though it wasn’t one. 

Besides Roy’s constant clinching the most frustrating things about that fight was the referee Ray Corona just watching them clinch each time for like 10-30 seconds before breaking them up. The rounds were already only 2 mins and clinching wasted over half of each round seemingly.

The Jake Paul and Nate Robinson fight was entertaining cause of the memes after the knockout and Snoop’s commentary like you said. But, it is kinda a joke that they let Nate continue after the second knock down like he didn’t even get up and be ready to fight by the 10 count from the first knockdown. Let alone the second knockdown.

Also, Snoop was good, but him just sucking up to Roy the whole time during the fight even when he was ruining the fight was kind of annoying.

I just saw a lot of problems with everything from the performances which were poorly produced, bad referee, bad scoring by the judges and poor commentary. All around it was a bad event, but at least money is going to charity and it was still kinda cool to see what a freak Mike is to lose weight like he did and be in pretty good conditioning for a 54 year old. Like he fought 8 rounds and wasn’t huffing and puffing in the post fight interview like Roy was. 

Why do former football or basketball stars always try to take up boxing or MMA? It's always either of those two with some some of entertainment appeal. It's never Tae Kwon Do or Karate. Or just another sport entirely that's more under the radar. Is half of the love for the potential for money and not necessarily for the sport itself? I hate to knock folks for trying new things, but all the time these endeavors, at least the ones that are publicized, end up badly. Nate just took an L he's never going to recover from. I heard he got about 500K for the fight, but damn not sure that's worth getting concussed plus getting clowned forever. 

Anyway, I don't know jack about boxing, but apparently Jake has been training for around 3 years now, and Nate just did it for a few months. Also, Nate is 36 against Paul who is 23. The deck just seemed completely stacked against him. Paul only dished out 8 punches and Nate got knocked down 3 times. Making a YouTuber look like Mike Tyson in his prime. 

I liked this remark I noticed from elsewhere after the fallout:

There is no sport in the world where skill is more disrespected by the casual viewer than the combat sports. Like we all would never in a million years think Zion would be an amazing volleyball player just because he jumps high, even though it has way more carryover to volleyball than it does fighting, yet will have people say [insert bball / nfl player] would beat [insert smaller fighter] in a fight.

I remember when Colby Covington was spouting **** against Lebron. People actually started saying Lebron James would easily brutalise Colby Covington in a fight. Just insanity. For the record I hate colby covington as much as the next guy, but he would murder the entire NBA roster 1v1. 1 leg kick, 1 double leg, and it's over. He might not even need the double leg. (you'd understand if you ever took a leg kick from the tiniest professional muay thai fighter, it might as well be a baseball bat)

If you've trained hard in a couple years in a legitimate combat sport, you might as well be a god to the regular human being who's done it for months, it's the same for every sport, every skill in the world yet people are somehow surprised when the same applies to fighting.

When will society learn???

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

On 11/29/2020 at 9:16 AM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

When will society learn???

I was actually extremely surprised by the majority of the reactions to the Nate Jake fight. 

First off, there was a weird racial component that emerged. You'd think Nate lost to some blooded member of a supremacy group with the way he was mocked/chastised for losing to a white man. As far as I can tell this Jake Paul guy is merely a former Disney actor that evolved/devolved into a Youtube provocateur/influencer. Essentially a more brash and arguably charmless version of past entertainers like Bam Margerea, Steve O, etc. So I really don't get why there's so much focus on the race of the participants. I know a lot of it is just meme-ey internet garbage/jokes, but it sucks that Nate has to read stuff like "He let the community down" etc. Just seems pretty uncalled for. 

So that aspect was bizarre, but what's truly floored me is what you're talking about @TecmoSuperJoe. I had no idea so many people just assumed/believed NBA players could take their specialized athletic tools into an entirely different sport/realm of athletics and be unconditionally successful. It's lunacy.

Like.....a HS wrestler could double leg and brutalize any NBA player in a street fight, let alone legitimate fight. I don't know why that reality floors so many people.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

I was actually extremely surprised by the majority of the reactions to the Nate Jake fight. 

First off, there was a weird racial component that emerged. You'd think Nate lost to some blooded member of a supremacy group with the way he was mocked/chastised for losing to a white man. As far as I can tell this Jake Paul guy is merely a former Disney actor that evolved/devolved into a Youtube provocateur/influencer. Essentially a more brash and arguably charmless version of past entertainers like Bam Margerea, Steve O, etc. So I really don't get why there's so much focus on the race of the participants. I know a lot of it is just meme-ey internet garbage/jokes, but it sucks that Nate has to read stuff like "He let the community down" etc. Just seems pretty uncalled for. 

So that aspect was bizarre, but what's truly floored me is what you're talking about @TecmoSuperJoe. I had no idea so many people just assumed/believed NBA players could take their specialized athletic tools into an entirely different sport/realm of athletics and be unconditionally successful. It's lunacy.

Like.....a HS wrestler could double leg and brutalize any NBA player in a street fight, let alone legitimate fight. I don't know why that reality floors so many people.

I think there is just so much "street" bravado in sports like American football, basketball, and boxing so people casually think someone can hop from one to another, including the participants themselves. 

18 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Time to make Spence vs Crawford. These two are clearly just a level above the rest. Porter, Garcia and Thurman are really good fighters, but it is clear who the top two dogs are. Time is now to make the fight. 

All these different promotions are ruining boxing.

If it was like it was years ago, we'd be waiting for the trilogy.

sidenote: Floyd has an exhibition with Logan Paul in February. Why are they letting these disgraces continue?

8 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

All these different promotions are ruining boxing.

If it was like it was years ago, we'd be waiting for the trilogy.

sidenote: Floyd has an exhibition with Logan Paul in February. Why are they letting these disgraces continue?

Crawford is a FA in a few months and Arum has already said he can buy his contract out if he wants to leave. Just make the Spence fight happen. If Crawford doesn't fight Spence, he needs to fight Pacquiao or Porter, no one else.

Honestly I don't mind Mayweather in exhibitions. As long as he's not holding up a division in boxing all this is fine. Just a way for him to make a bunch of money against some jokers. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Crawford is a FA in a few months and Arum has already said he can buy his contract out if he wants to leave. Just make the Spence fight happen. If Crawford doesn't fight Spence, he needs to fight Pacquiao or Porter, no one else.

Honestly I don't mind Mayweather in exhibitions. As long as he's not holding up a division in boxing all this is fine. Just a way for him to make a bunch of money against some jokers. 

I'd like to see Spence fight Pacman and Crawford fight Porter first myself. I wanna see how Pacman still measures to these guys.

And for Floyd, I think part of it is annoying is because he could still probably beat most of all these guys besides maybe Crawford or Spence. 

Edited by BullsandBroncos