FA Thread 2018

barnaby8787

Literally don't know how to react to the Suh news because it's so out of nowhere. 

Dude was ridiculously good for Miami though. Obviously not up to party with the contract they gave him but that was maybe the worst contract ever given. 

Edit: aside from the Haynesworth contract. 

Edited by Sandwhich2

Not sure how I feel about Suh though. He is still a great player but is on the other side of 30. I kind of like the fact we've been focused on players in the 25-28 year old range. It means those players will still be good in a few years when our team will hopefully be turning the corner. 

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

Not sure how I feel about Suh though. He is still a great player but is on the other side of 30. I kind of like the fact we've been focused on players in the 25-28 year old range. It means those players will still be good in a few years when our team will hopefully be turning the corner. 

A glorified 2-year deal would be fine.  Yeah not ideal but might still be a top 3-5 DT in the NFL.  

A little 4-2-5 nickel with Suh/Pennel at DT and Williams (RDE) / Ealy or another pass rusher at (LDE).

or a 3-3-5 with Williams/Suh at DE and Pennel at NT

Would give us a scary DL next year to pair with an improved secondary.  We could have a potential top 10 defense if we could just add a decent pass rusher.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Wouldn’t mind Suh for just a couple year deal. McClendon doesn’t wow me like Suh does.

This. A DL of Suh-Pennel-Williams can do some things out here

Edited by Dr.O

11 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

@RapSheet

The #Jets have the biggest offer, though there is no visit yet. Suh would have to take less to go to the other teams… which he may do

Think that's expected, Suh has seemed to always go for the Big paycheck. It he is getting up there in age and could want to go to a contender first and foremost

Wow, I am not sure how I feel about this Suh thing.  Could be pretty exciting.  We also have to remember that DL guys have a longer shelf life than some other positions.  He was also rated still as the #5 DL last year on PFF so if that is a step back then I can still accept that.  Also I think we use him a lot more as a pass rusher who is shooting gaps, than Miami did last year.

I feel mixed about this Suh news... 

1. I think they would use him in a rotation and put him in Leo's spot from last year (NT) on 3rd downs. Suh could really create havoc there. 
  2. Adding Suh would alleviate SO MUCH pressure off of Leo. He'll be able to face 1-on-1s at 3T and 5T, which should improve his sack totals. That should cause a ripple effect throughout the defense and improve our pass rush as a whole.
  3. Obviously Suh will improve the defense at as a whole, but at what cost? He's 31 years old and we're aiming for a youth movement... 
  4. Suh is a me-first type player, but he always brings the heat. He's straight up violent on the field and I've always admired that. While not a leader, I think we can use a player with his talent and tenacity. 

I would be on-board with Suh on an extremely front loaded deal. I think he would help us win games immediately and it's not like we have to worry about tanking once we get the QB... that said, I don't want his contract to be a burden on next year's payroll. I prefer we have room for Leo and another big free agency class. 

Otherwise, bring him on. 

6 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I feel mixed about this Suh news... 

1. I think they would use him in a rotation and put him in Leo's spot from last year (NT) on 3rd downs. Suh could really create havoc there. 
  2. Adding Suh would alleviate SO MUCH pressure off of Leo. He'll be able to face 1-on-1s at 3T and 5T, which should improve his sack totals. That should cause a ripple effect throughout the defense and improve our pass rush as a whole.
  3. Obviously Suh will improve the defense at as a whole, but at what cost? He's 31 years old and we're aiming for a youth movement... 
  4. Suh is a me-first type player, but he always brings the heat. He's straight up violent on the field and I've always admired that. While not a leader, I think we can use a player with his talent and tenacity. 

I would be on-board with Suh on an extremely front loaded deal. I think he would help us win games immediately and it's not like we have to worry about tanking once we get the QB... that said, I don't want his contract to be a burden on next year's payroll. I prefer we have room for Leo and another big free agency class. 

Otherwise, bring him on. 

I just watched a highlight package to stoke the flames.... and ya.... I am cool with it.  I feel like people constantly talked about how violent he was in Detroit, but once he got to the Dolphins he was just not mentioned as much.  I forgot about just HOW violent he was though.  God he would bring some heat to that front.  I think Suh and Leo see most snaps from the DE position, and McClendon and Pennel rotate in.  Pennel probably playing most rushing downs, and McClendon rotates in on passing downs as i feel like he is the better pass rusher.  Man if only we could find a legit edge rusher.