FA Thread 2018

barnaby8787

1-Suh would be great people get wrapped up in#s he's not a sack guy but he constantly sees double teams so he would instantly free up Leo and other rushers to get to QB and with our improved secondary could be a scary defense if he signs here

2-people mad that Gaines didn't sign here he's a zone coverage DB who doesn't play the slot was never a good fit Mac was just doing diligence bringing him in

3-i would of liked Hurns but I'm happy taking the flier on Pryor

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

I just watched a highlight package to stoke the flames.... and ya.... I am cool with it.  I feel like people constantly talked about how violent he was in Detroit, but once he got to the Dolphins he was just not mentioned as much.  I forgot about just HOW violent he was though.  God he would bring some heat to that front.  I think Suh and Leo see most snaps from the DE position, and McClendon and Pennel rotate in.  Pennel probably playing most rushing downs, and McClendon rotates in on passing downs as i feel like he is the better pass rusher.  Man if only we could find a legit edge rusher.

Last year we played Leo at NT much more than we should have. McLendon was a "NT" in name, but he played more 3T. They wanted to put Leo, their most disruptive lineman, over the center because its the closest angle to the QB. It made sense, but Leo was double-teamed all the time. 

Adding Suh would allow them to use the same model, but now you have two extremely disruptive DL, with Suh being best suited for that role. 

10 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I feel mixed about this Suh news... 

1. I think they would use him in a rotation and put him in Leo's spot from last year (NT) on 3rd downs. Suh could really create havoc there. 
  2. Adding Suh would alleviate SO MUCH pressure off of Leo. He'll be able to face 1-on-1s at 3T and 5T, which should improve his sack totals. That should cause a ripple effect throughout the defense and improve our pass rush as a whole.
  3. Obviously Suh will improve the defense at as a whole, but at what cost? He's 31 years old and we're aiming for a youth movement... 
  4. Suh is a me-first type player, but he always brings the heat. He's straight up violent on the field and I've always admired that. While not a leader, I think we can use a player with his talent and tenacity. 

I would be on-board with Suh on an extremely front loaded deal. I think he would help us win games immediately and it's not like we have to worry about tanking once we get the QB... that said, I don't want his contract to be a burden on next year's payroll. I prefer we have room for Leo and another big free agency class. 

Otherwise, bring him on. 

Point 3 I think is the biggest thing personally.  If this was two years down the road, we had our young QB in place, and Suh was still 31, I'd feel differently.

2 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Point 3 I think is the biggest thing personally.  If this was two years down the road, we had our young QB in place, and Suh was still 31, I'd feel differently.

DLmen last till their mid 30's pretty often though, and he started better and more athletic than most.

• Like 1

If anything Mac has shown that all his deals are glorified 1-2 years deals at most.  Even Johnson's deal was huge but really a big 2 year deal.  I expect the same for Suh especially given his age. At this point lets say Rosen or whoever flashes.  We've made a run with Sanchez at QB.  Our OL isn't where it was in 2010 but it's still solid.  With slightly better QB play I think with Suh our D will be close to the 2010 D that made that playoff run.

With Suh and Rosen playing well early (rookie QB's can play well out of the gate so it's not a major stretch) I think this could be a team playing meaningful playoff games the final 1/4 of the season.  I say we go for it. 

4 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

If anything Mac has shown that all his deals are glorified 1-2 years deals at most.  Even Johnson's deal was huge but really a big 2 year deal.  I expect the same for Suh especially given his age. At this point lets say Rosen or whoever flashes.  We've made a run with Sanchez at QB.  Our OL isn't where it was in 2010 but it's still solid.  With slightly better QB play I think with Suh our D will be close to the 2010 D that made that playoff run.

With Suh and Rosen playing well early (rookie QB's can play well out of the gate so it's not a major stretch) I think this could be a team playing meaningful playoff games the final 1/4 of the season.  I say we go for it. 

True, but he doesn't fit the mold of a re-build, the lockerroom leader type, etc.  To me, it almost looks like Mac is saying "I have cap space, but not much to spend it on, so who could I use it on?".  If i'm him, I'd go after a guy like Hankins over Suh.

33 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

True, but he doesn't fit the mold of a re-build, the lockerroom leader type, etc.  To me, it almost looks like Mac is saying "I have cap space, but not much to spend it on, so who could I use it on?".  If i'm him, I'd go after a guy like Hankins over Suh.

Totally get what your saying with Suh.  But a thought .... he will help us get to teh style of defense we want to play....  Attacking and aggressive.  I see his value in that his play will "condition" if you will our young studs (Adams, Maye, Lee, Williams) to this style and help them elevate their game in this way.  While I agree he is does not fit the lockeroom leader mold .. I do think he will be a leader on the field with his play and that is a big value.  He plays at another level - question is can he still play at that level?  IF he can for two years I think it can have a lasting affect on the younger guys and future defensive players.

I think the biggest reason to be behind the Suh signing is next years FA.  The better our team is, with the more named players and more going for it, the more desirable location we would be.  If our D looks good, and we have a promising young QB we find ourselves with 90+ mill to spend and FA's who we don't have to grossly overpay to get.  And we still have our #1 next year.  

52 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

Totally get what your saying with Suh.  But a thought .... he will help us get to teh style of defense we want to play....  Attacking and aggressive.  I see his value in that his play will "condition" if you will our young studs (Adams, Maye, Lee, Williams) to this style and help them elevate their game in this way.  While I agree he is does not fit the lockeroom leader mold .. I do think he will be a leader on the field with his play and that is a big value.  He plays at another level - question is can he still play at that level?  IF he can for two years I think it can have a lasting affect on the younger guys and future defensive players.

42 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I think the biggest reason to be behind the Suh signing is next years FA.  The better our team is, with the more named players and more going for it, the more desirable location we would be.  If our D looks good, and we have a promising young QB we find ourselves with 90+ mill to spend and FA's who we don't have to grossly overpay to get.  And we still have our #1 next year.  

All of this plus, what jet fan doesnt like seeing suh and big cat chasing Brady in his twilight years?

• Like 1

I like the idea of adding Suh, honestly. Everyone on the team can't be 19 years old. You have to bring in the talent when you can. He's a difference maker on the line and can open things up for our LBs. He takes pressure off Leo and improves the run defense. As long as the deal is good, I'm cool with this. I don't see any flaws with this. 

• Like 1