FA Thread 2018

barnaby8787

Just now, Dr.O said:

Nah Hyde can't stay healthy and it's such a strong RB class I'd rather gamble on one in the 2nd-4th

But remember, drafting a guy there means we cant draft another position there. So the cost is higher in terms of future value.

Also Hydes injuries are usually small things that could attributed to bad luck. Aldo signing Hyde wouldnt preclude us from drafting a midround guy. But as it is, we have no one to pound the roc.

15 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

But remember, drafting a guy there means we cant draft another position there. So the cost is higher in terms of future value.

Also Hydes injuries are usually small things that could attributed to bad luck. Aldo signing Hyde wouldnt preclude us from drafting a midround guy. But as it is, we have no one to pound the roc.

That's fine I'd still rather stick to the strengths of the draft than try and force value where it isn't. This years strength seems to be in its RBs and CBs so we can afford to wait a bit for those where as QB, Pass rusher, and OL we should be targeting earlier.

1 minute ago, Dr.O said:

That's fine I'd still rather stick to the strengths of the draft than try and force value where it isn't. This years strength seems to be in its RBs and CBs so we can afford to wait a bit for those where as QB, Pass rusher, and OL we should be targeting earlier.

Dont see anyone looking to pass on Trumaine Johnson or Malcolm Butler for the a mid round CB

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

Dont see anyone looking to pass on Trumaine Johnson or Malcolm Butler for the a mid round CB

Not saying that but there's a difference in talent level from Them and Hyde, along with the fact that Johnson/Butler don't have the injury history that Hyde has.

1 hour ago, KodiakThunder said:

Am i the only one who would love to see us sign Carlos Hyde? 

I think if he can stay healthy (going against past history here) he can be a top 5 RB in this league. He has great vision, burst and power. Also can block and is a better than avg reciever. A poor mans leveon bell if you would. 

Hes #1 on my FA wishlist besides Cousins and Robinson. 

All depends on the contract but yes I would take a shot on him as a rotational back.  I would still draft one as well though.

SF extending Goodwin further removes them from the tier-1 WR market. Can’t tie up so many guarantees in one position (Garçon/Goodwin making at least $22 million combined in 2018). My guess is they add a complementary receiver or target someone early in the draft to serve as their #3 in year one and eventual replacement to Pierre Garçon as the #1/2

28 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

SF extending Goodwin further removes them from the tier-1 WR market. Can’t tie up so many guarantees in one position (Garçon/Goodwin making at least $22 million combined in 2018). My guess is they add a complementary receiver or target someone early in the draft to serve as their #3 in year one and eventual replacement to Pierre Garçon as the #1/2

Yup, AR15 is also more of an outside guy like Goodwin and Garcon so I think they try to find a shifty guy inside to rotate with Taylor. I think they go hard after a Tight End as well.

Yeah, Pay up for Robinson. I still want him or Graham. I want to see us add a serious threat defenses have to plan for. 

On defense, I like the idea of adding Tyrann. Hopefully the Cards release him. 

SN: Rams are making moves!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think our chances of landing AR15 are very slim unless we land Cousins.

I think Cousins is going to take his time, which will allow us to "close" deals prior to March 14. Part of our pitch will be locking these guys up before Cousins signs so If we want Robinson bad enough, there's a good chance we can get him. At the end of the day, most of these decisions come down to money. I also think Maccagnan, who needs to spend roughly 89% of the cap, is going to treat FA like he does the draft and target the absolute BEST players regardless of position (maybe with exception of safety) to insure that his money is well spent. It should be a very interesting process. 

As far as competition? I don't buy SF spending big on WRs. BAL doesn't have enough money and sounds as if they will target bargain bin guys like Moncrief. Cleveland could step in, but they still have a lot of capital at that position... I feel a Pryor reunion is most likely there. I think Jacksonville re-signs Lee instead. The Panthers will likely target a deep threat, but I don't expect them to make a big splash either. The Bears and Redskins pose as the biggest threats in my mind, with SEA being a sleeper. I think the Bears sign Wilson and someone like John Brown as well as finalize a deal for Jarvis Landry. I think Watkins pulls the stunner and signs with SEA, replacing Richardson who leaves in FA. That would leave the Jets and Redskins as his two most likely destinations, with the loser possibly settling for Richardson. 

These are just projections, but I think when you factor in that Robinson will likely want a 1 year deal in the $10-12M range, which allows him to cash in as well as retest the market at age 26, it limits the number of suitors that can really go after him. 

Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 1