Week 17 Discussion Thread

TecmoSuperJoe

10 minutes ago, Starless said:

Chiefs 1-4 when kept under 100 yards rushing. Just sayin'.

CKSteeler kind of provided a concise version of my opinion on this. But these kinds of stats are always silly. You run less when you're playing from behind. Or in a shootout. Or when you just don't get many plays. Oakland didn't beat us because they stop the run. They beat us because we didn't stop the pass and we were passing to keep up. Yet that's in your list. The Cowboys didn't stop Hunt, they just got ahead, stayed ahead, and we got pass happy. Yet that's in your list. That kind of statistic implies cause in one direction (losing because the rushing yards were low) when it's actually often the reverse (the rushing yards were low because we were losing.)

And none of those games were against particularly great run defenses either, so it's kind of a false response to the notion that, Tenn has a great run defense so Tenn will beat KC.

Also, feel free to check the list of run games that Tennessee has shut down. The one good RB there was Bell, and he got 12 carries in a blowout victory. The flip side to your suggestion, that they'll be able to stop the run and win with their good rushing defense, is that we have a great rushing offense, so we should be able to run against them where other teams haven't, and win. Titans are 0-5 when they allow 100+ yards rushing.

I'm open to more thought out arguments for the Titans winning. But this is cliche and over-simplified, and very easily just reversed.

Just now, Shady Slim said:

hey this has been confusing me for a while are you rural bill as in bills fan from the country or are you rural bill a son in dude from the country named bill

Steelers fan. Name's Bill and I live in the country.

Archived