With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

6 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

1. Browns - Darnold

2. Giants - Barkley

3. Jets - Mayfield

4. Browns - Chubb

The big time media mock drafts all seem to be settling in on this. The only caveat would be if someone gives the farm to the Giants for 2 to get Josh Allen. If we don’t love Allen or Rosen then I think the pick could come down to Nelson, Denzel Ward, Roquan Smith or a trade back. 

I cannot see Denver drafting Ward or Roquan Smith (especially Roquan Smith) at 5. I think it would be between a trade back and Nelson if this were the case.

5 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I cannot see Denver drafting Ward or Roquan Smith (especially Roquan Smith) at 5. I think it would be between a trade back and Nelson if this were the case.

Im a bit scared it could be Josh Allen...

14 hours ago, germ-x said:

Obviously he was in the mix as he was drafted.  But most draftniks and many in this forum did not think he was a serious competitor.

Elway has also drafted players he’s never shown interest in.  Derek Wolfe was stunned when Denver selected him because he hadn’t had any serious contact.  Same with DeMarcus Walker.

Another interesting stat,  outside of Sylvester Williams every 1st round pick made under Elway has been a QB, edge rusher, LT, or CB.

Still too small a sample size. He's only had 7 drafts. His first pick has been a DE, DT, LT, CB, QB, and two edges. If he continues that cycle we'll eventually end up with a trend. Right now it doesn't mean anything.

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

The bad OL is exactly why you want a top class RB. The best RBs in the game can make things happen even when the blocking isn’t there. 

Nelson would do far more for their running game than Barkley.

31 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

1. Browns - Darnold

2. Giants - Barkley

3. Jets - Mayfield

4. Browns - Chubb

The big time media mock drafts all seem to be settling in on this. The only caveat would be if someone gives the farm to the Giants for 2 to get Josh Allen. If we don’t love Allen or Rosen then I think the pick could come down to Nelson, Denzel Ward, Roquan Smith or a trade back. 

The only thing I can see throwing a wrinkle into this, is Cleveland taking Josh Allen #1.  I could really see them doing that

9 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

The only thing I can see throwing a wrinkle into this, is Cleveland taking Josh Allen #1.  I could really see them doing that

I think that's the direction they will go. He fits Dorsey's profile, and they have Tyrod which gives them time to get him coached up sufficiently.

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

1. Browns - Darnold

2. Giants - Barkley

3. Jets - Mayfield

4. Browns - Chubb

I agree this is the most plausible right now.  That would leave both Allen and Rosen, both of whom I like, on the board for us, as well as Nelson.  It would also give us a chance to shop to the pick to one of the QB-hungry teams (Miami, Arizona, Buffalo) and move down, which apparently is something that Elway & Co. are pretty open to doing from all reports. 

The other options that could affect the board for us would be the Browns taking Allen, giving the Giants the chance to take Darnold (who it is rumored the QB they prefer if they go that route). That would allow either Barkley or Chubb, whichever one Cleveland passes on at No. 4, to fall to us. 

2 hours ago, champ11 said:

I'd be really excited about Smith in a trade back scenario. Not high on Ward. 

Theres no way elway takes a middle linebacker round 1 its just not his MO.

I think or board for round 1 looks like this in no order. I'm not including darnold, mayfield, Chubb just because I doubt a trade up. And I think these are locks to go ahead of us. 

I really like Mayfield for what its worth and there's no doubt jets did that trade to primarily jump us.

Anyway board as follows. 

-Ward

- Nelson

- Hernandez

- Barkley

- Allen

- Rosen 

- don't rule out Oliver.

- Vae

- I like Wynn havent seen us linked to him.

There's an african american center coming out if Iowa. I have seen us linked to him. I wonder if he can play guard. Any other name would shock me.

There's hypotheticals that Rosen may fall and if he did the Pats may be able to just give the niners the two first to move up to 9 since they gave them a franchise qb. That interests me could definitely see it happen.

As a Bronco fan that would be hard to stomach. Seeing Rosen succeed in New England with Josh Mcdaniels. It's like I could see them winning Championships. I think Rosen has the intangibles New England covets .

Maybe this in turns makes 5 more valuable buffalo wouldnt want to see that. Or maybe we just select him.

Here's an interesting bit. Elway hasn't drafted one pro-bowler since Von. In that same time period (2012-2017) KC has 6, Oakland 4 and the Chargers 5. I think Minnesota's had 8 in that time.

Anyway, we seem to be dropping behind the 8 ball here. Trading down won't help Elway change that. With either Chubb or Nelson that would change rapidly.

15 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Here's an interesting bit. Elway hasn't drafted one pro-bowler since Von. In that same time period (2012-2017) KC has 6, Oakland 4 and the Chargers 5. I think Minnesota's had 8 in that time.

Anyway, we seem to be dropping behind the 8 ball here. Trading down won't help Elway change that. With either Chubb or Nelson that would change rapidly.

At the same time chris harris that same draft was a probowler you can find guys late too.

38 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Technically Siemian was a Pro Bowler in 2016.    Shows how low the bar for the Pro Bowl can be with injury and SB replacements.   Which makes Elway’s draft struggles even more stark TBH. 

33 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

The pro bowl is a popularity contest. Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, Matt Paradis, and Derek Wolfe could’ve/should’ve gotten pro bowl nods while in Denver at some point.  We all know they were some of the best at their positions.  Further, players get pro bowl nods after selected players drop out all the time.  You also left out Julius Thomas, who made 2 pro bowls in Denver.

Elway hasn’t been great at drafting, but using the pro bowl as a barometer is sketchy.  They easily could’ve had 6.

Archived