Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

6 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Right.  So TT lives completely in the draft/scouting world while Ball manages the higher level GM duties.  If TT is still engaged enough to maintain a high level of input in the draft process, that setup works for me.  Especially if Ball is more open to listening to his pro-personnel director on the FA side of things.

How long will he be involved with that for? He's no spring chicken.

5 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

I think I read Ted had hip surgery and delegated much more than usual this year.

Yep .. that's my understanding as well.  TT also hates the PR aspect of the job and really just wants to scout.  Ball has already been doing many of the tasks that TT used to do, and now officially, Ted gets to do what he really loves to do .. scout talent.

3 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Hi CWood, a year or two ago, when I and some others on here, said the Packers were becoming stale and complacent and needed major changes, you jumped on us, and argued that it was not wise to "burn the house down" because the current organization had a long track record of winning. I'm just wondering how you're feeling about all of this (TT, DC, OC, etc.)? Does this meet your bar for "burning the house down?" Do you still see the same dangers, or has something fundamentally changed? Should the Packers have stood pat, or is "burning the house down" the right move now? I'm not trolling you. I'm just curious about how you see all of this. Peace.

Maybe there was a misunderstanding, but the notion that some change was needed is debatable.  The "change for the sake of change" mentality was one that I (and others) took exception to.  The Packers had been one of the most successful franchises in the NFL, and aside from the Patriots you could make the argument that the Packers were the model franchise in the NFL.  I struggled to follow a plan without any conscious train of thought, which is generally why newer posters tend to struggle in adjusting to these forums.  FF strives for a higher level of discussion rather than just putting out opinions and not having to support your argument.

As for my stance on this, I think I'll wait until the dust settles before I make any opinion.  For all that we know, we might just end up with the same pieces to the puzzle in place just rearranged.  IF we hire Joe Philbin as OC, Darren Perry as DC, and Elliot Wolf as our GM, how much has really changed?  Would that change be the same if we hired John DeFilippo as OC, Vic Fangio as DC, and Doug Whaley as GM?  There's still way too many variables in play to know if we're better off, or worse off.  All my original point about not "burning the house down" was that you needed to weigh the very real risk that the Packers could end up in a worse situation, a stance that many at that time refuse to even acknowledge.  There's risk to this, and that's something I wanted those who were advocating tearing the franchise down to recognize.  I have no issue you with anyone wanting substantial change, but you have to be willing to accept those risks.

I just get the idea that the two instrumental parts of the front office are Ball and Thompson.  Gutekunst and Wolf, while highly regarded, are not key to the nuts and bolts operation.  They are much more easily replaceable than Ball and Ted .. plus Ball and Ted believe in a philosophy that appeals to Murphy.  If this is correct then things will not change much at all.  I do hope Ball is a little more aggressive, but I'm not so sure he is. 

3 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Until a few days ago, TT was expected to continue as GM few more years.  I think there is plenty of time for the scouting/draft side to adjust to life under Ball as GM if TT remains a key draft resource for a few more years.

5 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Got to figure he's only going to go for a few more years.  He's what, 64?  His contract is up after next years draft, so he's got 2 more years barring an extension.  What else is the guy going to do though?  Healthy permitting he could work in this role for several more years.

49 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

That's kind of my point.  What has anyone heard out of GB that would give them reason to believe Elliot has his fathers magic touch?

It was a BS blurb, you said it yourself, why are you dwelling on it?

It would be like someone asking me what space travel all entails and I say "Well you get in a rocket, leave the Earth's atmosphere and travel through the solar system." Well no .... Haha. Someone who doesn't really know anything about those guys wrote that blurb using the generic talk we hear about them.

If Ball is the hire, it doesn't mean the others all leave at the same time.  Ball could be named GM and immediately name either Gute or Wolf as top dog in player personnel or something to distinguish them as the lead in Scouting.  There would have to be jobs open in the league for them to apply for and right now there isn't quite the shake up league wide as anticipated.  Would they leave being #2 rank in Green Bay to be #2 or 3 in another organization?  Highsmith left to go from #4 to #2.  Ball is no dummy and well respected by NFL and agents.  He wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.

Most interesting part of the news conference for me was that MM would be involved in the GM search in some capacity. I always wondered from the start of this if Murphy and MM met and jointly game planned what needed to be done. It's interesting. 

Overall, I thought MM brought it. Pretty strong. He knows what he's doing.

Archived