Mack Hollins, can he be a full time presence on the outside?

Danger

The writing is on the wall that we won't see Torrey Smith back next year, and that leads us to ask, who can take his place? With our capita being somewhat in a pinch right now, it makes the most sense to continue to look internally. I am fairly confident that Mack Hollins will be the starter next year, but the question is, can he produce to a level we'd expect of our #2 outside WR? He's certainly shown some flashes, but consistency remains to be seen.

Honestly I need to see more. Hollins seems to be a strider and not much of a guy who can run routes well enough to beat a team's starting cornerback consistently. I'm sure someone's gonna pull up a scouting report from college that says he's an all-world route runner, but this is just from what I have seen and observed this year (yes, sample size is limited). With that being said, it's hard to imagine he'd be as useless as Torrey Smith has been. He should arguably already be starting in his place.

How many dropped balls will it take for them to pull Smith?!  Just more silly adherence to old, traditional rules giving veterans more playing time over young guys  despite the suckage.  This is nonsense.  It should be best man for the job!!!!  If you can’t cut it, then get off the field!!!! Why am I using so many exclamation points like Nabbsy?!

56 minutes ago, RBreezy said:

I like Mack but I still wouldn't look past drafting a burner in the mid-rounds. 

We need a guy who can get complete separation like DeSean Jackson, etc.

This is how I feel. I think Mack can be a really good situational deep threat who could maybe develop into a solid #2 one day. But I'm still looking for a real play maker until that happens.

You have to at least bring in a guy that can do similar things to compete with him. You cant rely just on Mack based on sample size. Some FA's that might not cost a lot who could come in.

Paul Richardson 

Mike Wallace

Jaron Brown

Taylor Gabriel

Obviously they are all flawed players but they are all guys that might come in and give that vertical demension and fit into a budget 

14 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Honestly, if Carson Wentz is who we think he is, he should make a #4 WR look like a #2 WR. 

Made a #5 like Agholor produce like a #2. Don't see why not with Hollins.

This Offense with Wentz at the helm doesn't have a traditional #1, #2, #3. He spreads the ball around to much. What they need is someone to stretch the field but actually catch the ball. From what limited action I've seen, Hollins can do both.

However any "burner" brought in to become the "so called" #2 isn't putting up a 1000+ 10 TD, etc, etc. So why shouldn't Hollins, Gibson and Johnson get first crack at the job?

57 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

twilight_zone-300x246.jpg

You going to quote me don't edit 

However any "burner" brought in to become the "so called #2" isn't putting up a 1000+ 10 TD, etc, etc. So why shouldn't Hollins, Gibson and Johnson get first crack at the job?

Right now our #2, plays in the Slot and or TE Not outside! Doubt that changes regardless of who they bring in.

I mean it is hard to rule Hollins, Johnson and Gibson (i guess out) but going into the season relying on them is not ideal. You gotta bring someone else in to complete with them.

Really Nelson is the true number #2 on this team. He just does it from the slot. Your outside guy really just has to stretch the field and make a couple nice plays.

Can we talk about Nelson's massive jump from last year to this one.

2016- 36 catches 365 yards and 2 TD

2017- 62 catches 768 yards and  8TD's

That is so impressive. I am happy for the guy for proving us all wrong.

I don't understand how Pittsburgh keeps finding solid WR talent. They draft better WRs in a year than we do in a decade (slight exaggeration). We need to just sneak into their HQ Watergate-style and find out what WRs are on their big board.

Archived