Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

9 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

Rashan has to play up to that contract this year. He is the biggest question mark on our defense for me. Is he a good player, or is he elite? That is probably the difference between reaching the superbowl and a playoff fizzle

Agree.  My guess is good, not elite, but we'll see. 

I think the broader question, how good will the pass-pressure be, is fascinating.   Nothing but questions.  Will the edge/OLB guys be really good, between Rashan, LVN, Preston, Enagbare? Will another year from surgery step Rashan to a higher level?  Will 2nd-year LVN be a real force, or kinda JAG?  Will Preston still be solid?  Will scheme help them?  Whether they end up kinda average, or are really good, will shape a lot.

Likewise for the interior guys.  Will Wyatt be more disruptive?  Will scheme change anything for them? Hafley talks like get-after-the-quarterback, penetrate, TFL, get-in-the-backfield, like all of that stuff is a priority.  Everybody thinks that's nice, of course, but stay-in-your-lane isn't exactly worthless either.  With Z, we liked it when he got some sacks, but there were other games where he was free-lancing and penetrating to no positive effect.  So will be really interesting to see how it shakes out. 

As a fan I think blitzing is exciting, but it's lots more exciting when it works than when it fails.  Will be super curious whether we really do much blitzing or creative stuff.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think you're being overly harsh. 

We were 10th in the league In Points Against per Game (I know the Advanced Stats were notably worse). 

That doesn't happen by accident. Look at the secondary we played last year. 

Either the Defensive front played well enough to hide A LOT of issues, or we made a horrendous mistake moving on from our DC. 

Show me someone who is satisfied with being in the top 3rd and i will show you a perennial loser

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I think our chances are better than even most Packer fans want to acknowledge

Most teams need luck, and a good helping of it, to win the SB.

Packers need good play from rookies at S and ILB, moderate luck with health over the season, the rest I expect to be ok.

Most contenders need a little more than that, especially they need momentum to overcome their weak spots. Chances of the SB for GB this year - good.............and if they get hot at the end of the season, very good, compared to their other seasons in recent years.

• Like 1

Just now, OneTwoSixFive said:

moderate luck with health over the season

This is the biggest never said part of putting together a great season. Need to keep stacking injuries to a minimum. 

2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

This is the biggest never said part of putting together a great season. Need to keep stacking injuries to a minimum. 

The timing is important, too. A team can stack injuries earlier in the season so long as preferred starters are playing near their ceilings when it matters most (sometimes early injuries can even be a small blessing aka Aaron Jones who missed regular season action but was fresh and a bonafide STUD in the playoffs last year).

But you're absolutely right.

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Most teams need luck, and a good helping of it, to win the SB.

Packers need good play from rookies at S and ILB, moderate luck with health over the season, the rest I expect to be ok.

Most contenders need a little more than that, especially they need momentum to overcome their weak spots. Chances of the SB for GB this year - good.............and if they get hot at the end of the season, very good, compared to their other seasons in recent years.

We also need the OL to hit all of its marks.  It is not unthinkable that Walker and Rhyan are not full time plus starters, and that Morgan et al are not ready yet.  It would surprise me if all points fail, but is a greater than zero chance.  

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 3:26 PM, Spartacus said:

One of the main reasons for me that the 2014 Seattle collapse hurt so much. Man were we healthy! 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, incognito_man said:

The timing is important, too. A team can stack injuries earlier in the season so long as preferred starters are playing near their ceilings when it matters most ...

In Super Bowl year, there were lots of injuries early, including some season-enders, but they really stopped late.  In that case, some of the replacements were about as good or better than the original starters.  (Bulaga, Starks, Bishop.). 

• Like 1

This may have been discussed, but if so I may have missed the answers.  

1. Does green-dot pretty-much need to be LB?  
  2. Could green-dot be McKinnon?  
  3. Does green-dot need to be close enough to the line so that guys can hear him yelling, and maybe see gestures too?  So might McKinnon playing high be too far to hear him yelling, and behind guys so gestures can't be seen?