Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Peter Bukowski -   If I told you Jimmy Graham was 11th in yards after catch per reception this season that would surprise you right? It's true though.

Lol.  Wouldn’t surprise me.  Peter probably picked up that nugget from my post.  Jimmy Graham is not nearly as bad as people act like he is.  He had some huge plays for us, especially down the stretch.  He’s been open a lot this year, just like last year.  

1 minute ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

So are you saying you're happy with the production? And what if we hadn't gotten Ervin?  

I suppose I don't have any better answers, just sure seems to me like a place we could have looked harder to improve.

The what if we hadn't gotten Ervin question speaks more to the role of the GM not getting the appropriate players for the coach, rather than some failing on the coach's part.

10 minutes ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

So are you saying you're happy with the production? And what if we hadn't gotten Ervin?  

I suppose I don't have any better answers, just sure seems to me like a place we could have looked harder to improve.

Since we got Ervin, yeah

If your GM can't find an Ervin, you have huge problems

Something to be said for continuity among coaches. Lord knows you rarely get it among players on those units.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Peter Bukowski -   If I told you Jimmy Graham was 11th in yards after catch per reception this season that would surprise you right? It's true though.

His post was almost as pointless as his next one about how Geronimo Allison had more yards/reception than guys like Cooper, Robinson, etc. Graham had 38 receptions, just shy of 2.5 per game. Naturally he should have a higher Y/R average than guys who catch more balls. Yet, let's compare him with the top TEs since we paid him like one: 

Ertz -- 88 rec, 10.4 Y/R

Kelce - 97 rec, 12.7 Y/R

Kittle 85 rec, 12.4 Y/R

Graham 38 rec, 11.8 Y/R

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

His post was almost as pointless as his next one about how Geronimo Allison had more yards/reception than guys like Cooper, Robinson, etc. Graham had 38 receptions, just shy of 2.5 per game. Naturally he should have a higher Y/R average than guys who catch more balls. Yet, let's compare him with the top TEs since we paid him like one: 

Ertz -- 88 rec, 10.4 Y/R

Kelce - 97 rec, 12.7 Y/R

Kittle 85 rec, 12.4 Y/R

Graham 38 rec, 11.8 Y/R

Pretty sure he's not pretending Graham is good or worth all that money, it's just talking about stats being funny at times

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Pretty sure he's not pretending Graham is good or worth all that money, it's just talking about stats being funny at times

Just seems like an odd stat to bring up, given it is one that doesn't really mean anything standing alone. Graham is not a bad TE. I'd argue more that he was never a great fit for our offense, from the start. His signing was more reactionary I think after Gute missed out on Robinson. Robinson was the correct target that year and we'd be a much different offense with him vs. Graham. Gute had to do something after Robinson chose Chicago and Graham was next big offensive name that year in FA. I don't fault the move at all, but it is certainly time to cut ties and redistribute that money elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol.  Wouldn’t surprise me.  Peter probably picked up that nugget from my post.  Jimmy Graham is not nearly as bad as people act like he is.  He had some huge plays for us, especially down the stretch.  He’s been open a lot this year, just like last year.  

I thought Football Futures was primarily used by booger-eaters like me/us?  Well, Bukowski is kind of a booger-eater, so never-mind.

53 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Just seems like an odd stat to bring up, given it is one that doesn't really mean anything standing alone. Graham is not a bad TE. I'd argue more that he was never a great fit for our offense, from the start. His signing was more reactionary I think after Gute missed out on Robinson. Robinson was the correct target that year and we'd be a much different offense with him vs. Graham. Gute had to do something after Robinson chose Chicago and Graham was next big offensive name that year in FA. I don't fault the move at all, but it is certainly time to cut ties and redistribute that money elsewhere. 

Thus is the problem with moving down the line fa just to spend money when you miss your guy.

I'm guessing he was just scrolling through stats and was like well this is odd... That's sure what it seems like. Nothing more

37 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Man, knowing Bukowski's online personality I doubt that. He seems to always be trying to prove some point to try and look smarter than everyone else.

I don't follow him so I'm out of the loop but I thought he then posted someone else's YPC too so that's how it seemed

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

No, as usual he is trying to support his 2 year argument that Graham was going to be better than he actually was while in GB getting paid top dollar, yet more than willing to point out Rodger's pay grade and performance.  Always self aggrandizing while ignoring common truths, don't be fooled by statistical game playing.

Rob Demovsky -   LeRoy Butler is one of four safeties among the Pro Football Hall of Fame finalists this year, but he has something Steve Atwater, John Lynch and Troy Polamalu don't: 30-plus interceptions and 20-plus sacks. Butler (38 INTs, 20.5 sacks) is one of just six players ever in that category. Two, Brian Dawkins and Ray Lewis, already are in the Hall of Fame. Another, Charles Woodson, most certainly will be perhaps as soon as next year when he's eligible.

///////////////////////

This is gonna be an interesting year for this position.

28 minutes ago, Leader said:

Rob Demovsky -   LeRoy Butler is one of four safeties among the Pro Football Hall of Fame finalists this year, but he has something Steve Atwater, John Lynch and Troy Polamalu don't: 30-plus interceptions and 20-plus sacks. Butler (38 INTs, 20.5 sacks) is one of just six players ever in that category. Two, Brian Dawkins and Ray Lewis, already are in the Hall of Fame. Another, Charles Woodson, most certainly will be perhaps as soon as next year when he's eligible.

///////////////////////

This is gonna be an interesting year for this position.

That’s why people who underestimate Butler just don’t get it.  He was before my time, and I rarely look back, but with safeties I do and the dude was way more important than people act like he was.  The Broncos game plan was essentially avoid Butler.  He belongs in the Hall of Fame more than a lot of players in it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

That’s why people who underestimate Butler just don’t get it.  He was before my time, and I rarely look back, but with safeties I do and the dude was way more important than people act like he was.  The Broncos game plan was essentially avoid Butler.  He belongs in the Hall of Fame more than a lot of players in it.

Of those four - Leroy and Troy before Atwater and Lynch (who should be last IMO).

• Like 1