Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

24 minutes ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

They were game changers everyone of them. The game changed due to each one of them.

I don't think you could say that about a single player on that list. Truthfully there's probably less than 20 dudes you could say that about in NFL history when referring to players.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yes, one of only a few bad calls. 

We're trying to minimize bad calls before we end up like the Basketball Hall of Fame which is literally half filler at this point 

I have a very different view of what the hall should be, yes it should be the very best but you can't tell the story of the NFL without talking about Joe Namath. I'm fine with that. Swann's probably a worse entry there.

4 minutes ago, Norm said:

I have a very different view of what the hall should be, yes it should be the very best but you can't tell the story of the NFL without talking about Joe Namath. I'm fine with that. Swann's probably a worse entry there.

Exactly. When he wagged his finger in the air.....the significance of that game put him in the HOF.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Norm said:

How can you argue that you need Leroy Butler to tell the story of the NFL? That is an extremely Packer centric viewpoint.

Also, what the hell would even go into talking about the history of the NFL. Are you going year by year talking about the playoffs or something? That's always been a weird justification for putting in undeserving QBs.

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How can you argue that you need Leroy Butler to tell the story of the NFL? That is an extremely Packer centric viewpoint.

Also, what the hell would even go into talking about the history of the NFL. Are you going year by year talking about the playoffs or something? That's always been a weird justification for putting in undeserving QBs.

Oh wait, I'm not for that part. Doing the lambeau leap shouldn't matter. I'm just defending Namath being in.

Let me put it this way, every documentary about the history of the NFL ever, has a section about Namath and the significance of that game. Some are pretty lengthy. But no, Butler and the leap don't do anything for me.

I'm also one who supported Warner being in partially for his come up story.

I guess I just view it differently. 

Edited by Norm
  • Like 1

Namath and Swann are perfect examples in my opinion of it being the Hall of Fame as opposed to the Hall of Great Players. If I were to ask a random person on the street if they knew who Namath or Swann were I'd expect an exponentially larger amount of them to recognize those names compared to Butler. 

The HOF is basically just a PR stunt to remind people about how awesome the game of football is. People who were merely good but move the needle in the perception of the general public are always going to have an advantage getting in over people who were just truly great football players.

I don't think that's necessarily "right" but I understand why it is that way.

13 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Namath and Swann are perfect examples in my opinion of it being the Hall of Fame as opposed to the Hall of Great Players. If I were to ask a random person on the street if they knew who Namath or Swann were I'd expect an exponentially larger amount of them to recognize those names compared to Butler. 

The HOF is basically just a PR stunt to remind people about how awesome the game of football is. People who were merely good but move the needle in the perception of the general public are always going to have an advantage getting in over people who were just truly great football players.

I don't think that's necessarily "right" but I understand why it is that way.

I mean, it's called the hall of "fame" not the best players that ever lived club.