Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

59 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So...you're telling me that you were pounding the table for Warner in the '18 draft?  Somehow I find it hard to believe that if I looked back at the 2018 draft thread there'd be any mention of it, let alone pounding the table for him.  He was drafted 70th overall which means 69 picks were made prior to him, so clearly he wasn't some super-prospect.  But how much does the 49ers' DL impact them.  They've got FOUR former FRPs (Joey Bosa, Arik Armstead, Solomon Thomas, and DeForest Buckner) and a guy they traded a SRP (Dee Ford) for.  What have the Packers invested in the DL?  A FRP (Kenny Clark), a 4th round pick (Dean Lowry), and an UDFA (Tyler Lancaster) were our top 3 DLs in terms of snap count.  And if you want to include Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith, they were both brought in as FAs.  The 49ers have invested heavily on their DL.  Something @Packerraymond has been harking on, and I'm on the same boat.  Want better production out of your ILBs?  Grab those big uglies to put in front of them.

I won't pound the table for anyone because I'm not an NFL Scout. The scouts need to find Warner, not me. That's their job, not mine. The Packers need to draft better, pure and simple. There seem to be habits on who they target that has left them in the dust on the football field. The whole "drafting guys for January in Lambeau", for example, is idiotic.  My opinion was to draft a DL last year due to need and the impending Daniels contract, and still fans defend that pick - and here we are. I even posted about how the pick didn't make sense based soley on position and fans lined up to say I was wrong. No need for me to take a bow, because it doesn't matter. If other teams can find these guys, the Packers have to.

Edited by cannondale

5 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I won't pound the table for anyone because I'm not an NFL Scout. The Packers need to draft better, pure and simple. There seem to be habits on who they target that has left them in the dust on the football field. My opinion was to draft a DL last year due to need and the impending Daniels contract, and still fans defend that pick - and here we are

That goes without saying.  Which is why we now have Gute as our GM, and not Ted Thompson.

2 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Mike Daniels can cosplay all he wants, he was the nastiest dude we had on the team for years

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Mike Daniels being the nastiest dude on your team is sad, sad, sad.

I always felt that dog had more bark than bite.  He sure barked a lot.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Lots of asterisks followed by a 69 joke does not make me think he’s less fake tough.

What makes you think he's fake tough in the first place?

You've provided absolutely no evidence that he is fake tough. If this is just going to be your gut feeling, then there's no discussion to be had.

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What makes you think he's fake tough in the first place?

You've provided absolutely no evidence that he is fake tough. If this is just going to be your gut feeling, then there's no discussion to be had.

Trust me my step uncle is an eye doctor.

3 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Ryan ran a 4.65 and Martinez ran a 4.71 at the combine.

At his recent end of the season press conference, Gutey made it clear that having speed at linebacker is “no doubt” a necessity. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/28/solving-packers-ilb-puzzle-set-to-be-quite-the-riddle-for-gm-brian-gutekunst/

Summers was clocked at 4.51 and Oren Burks ran a 4.59. They may both suck, but they are not slow.

Given the ILBs he has drafted in his two drafts to date and his comments about the need for speed, Gutey certainly does seem to be moving on from the try hard, assignment sure mold of ILBs who have dominated the middle of GB's defenses over the past decade.

Cannondale probably thinks Jordy Nelson and Wes Welker were "in the same mold" too.

Imo this idea that someone has to kick puppies in their spare time to be tough is silly. Is Za’darius smith fake tough? He’s always smiling. JJ Watt raised like 30 mil for hurricane relief. Fake tough. Ndamakong Suh likes soccer and went on a dating show. Fake tough. Danielle Hunter has a girl’s name. Fake tough. Von Miller was on Dancing with the Stars. Fake tough. Kalil Mack likes Hanson and his favorite movie is Mary Poppins. Fake tough.