Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, incognito_man said:

I don't see how anything at all about his Cleveland contract is germane now that he's a pure free agent?

Offset language.  Whatever a team pays him, Cleveland is off the hook for.  So if a team pays him $1M, the Browns can subtract $1M from whatever they owe him.

Just now, deltarich87 said:

NO or KC can't really offer much more either unless they're signing him to a multi-year deal, which seems crazy to me

that very well might be the hang-up though. Does he want more money TODAY and let this be his last big free agency period? vs a 1 year minimum and test the waters again next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Again, I don't see how that applies now that he cleared waivers

Because that's how offset language works.  If a player signs a new contract after being released/waived, the team that the player used to play for his off the hook for it.

that very well might be the hang-up though. Does he want more money TODAY and let this be his last big free agency period? vs a 1 year minimum and test the waters again next year.

Or.............................does he want a ring  👍

"Offset language relates to what happens to a player’s salary if he’s cut during the first four years of his career, while he’s still playing on his rookie contract"

That's speaking with regards to rookie contracts.  But offset language can be negotiated as part of any other NFL contract.  We usually only have discussion about offset language with regards to the top few draft picks.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's speaking with regards to rookie contracts.  But offset language can be negotiated as part of any other NFL contract.  We usually only have discussion about offset language with regards to the top few draft picks.

there aren't many examples of this, but think I found one with Revis back in the day?

So, I get it now.