Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How do you not cut one of the Smiths?

We're 30 million over the cap. 

If Rodgers demands 2/100. It's going to be at minimum 60 million in the signing bonus. Let's be generous and say you split the base salary at 10/30. Then immediately restructure the 10 in the first year. That leaves you with a first year cap hit of 1 million in base salary + 13.8 in new bonus money +26.9 in old bonus money. So you're looking at 40.7 as a cap hit. 

That gets you down to 26 million over the cap.

Let's assume you can post 6/1 cut Cobb, that gets you down to 18 million over the cap.

Let's say Jaire gets 4/80 with 30 guaranteed and one void year, then you immediately get him down to 1 million, you end up with a year one cap hit of 9ish. That gets you down to 14 million over the cap.

Let's be generous and say you can get 3 million for restructuring Turner and Lowry, you're down to 11.

An Amos extension maybe gets you another 3 million. You're down to 8.

You could probably get down to the 4ish million under that you need for draft picks and RFAs

+++

"But AG20, you most poignant of Packer observers", you say, "You didn't do anything about Davante Adams, and we know Rodgers isn't going to sign on without him."

Hence the issue. It also doesn't talk about Campbell or any of the other players. 

Agreed .. entire point being did Rodgers indeed request $50 mil a year or was that number pulled out of somebody's arse to make head lines?  We will all know very, very soon.

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

Math is hard however the NFL has mastered how to manipulate those numbers .. voided years, unattainable bonus, redoing contracts, etc.  IF Rodgers does want $50 million .. that's on him if nobody else can get signed and shouldn't ***** one iota.  That being said, where there's a will there's a way with the salary cap if GM's want or don't want players.  That's what the Packer brass has to decide .. period.

Even that's limited, and it's hard to stack cap condensing decisions year after year. 

https://overthecap.com/calculator/green-bay-packers/

Look at the base salary column and you can see there isn't much to move around. 

19 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Matt Stafford always had a **** team around him. Rodgers has not. 

Next objection. 

Oh now it's a team thing not a QB thing...

If that's the case Rodgers has always had a rubbish defence, doesn't have playmakers, passive front office when it came to talent acquisition yada yada

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How do you not cut one of the Smiths?

We're 30 million over the cap. 

If Rodgers demands 2/100. It's going to be at minimum 60 million in the signing bonus. Let's be generous and say you split the base salary at 10/30. Then immediately restructure the 10 in the first year. That leaves you with a first year cap hit of 1 million in base salary + 13.8 in new bonus money +26.9 in old bonus money. So you're looking at 40.7 as a cap hit. 

That gets you down to 26 million over the cap.

Let's assume you can post 6/1 cut Cobb, that gets you down to 18 million over the cap.

Let's say Jaire gets 4/80 with 30 guaranteed and one void year, then you immediately get him down to 1 million, you end up with a year one cap hit of 9ish. That gets you down to 14 million over the cap.

Let's be generous and say you can get 3 million for restructuring Turner and Lowry, you're down to 11.

An Amos extension maybe gets you another 3 million. You're down to 8.

You could probably get down to the 4ish million under that you need for draft picks and RFAs

+++

"But AG20, you most poignant of Packer observers", you say, "You didn't do anything about Davante Adams, and we know Rodgers isn't going to sign on without him."

Hence the issue. It also doesn't talk about Campbell or any of the other players. 

Your numbers and understanding of the cap are woeful on a good day and blatantly biased on your worst. Maybe you should go back to school. Or at least look at EVERY SINGLE MOCK DRAFT made by posters of this forum that did it correctly. Just because you post the most and make the boldest declarations doesn't make you right.

You're underestimating the cap savings for a Rodgers restructure by about $10 million. If you have an extension of 2 years and $100m in new money, converting this year's base salary into a bonus with two void years and yes, about $40m in a new bonus, we still save about $12-16m in immediate cap. Not $4m. Let's call it $15m to keep things even.

Cutting Cobb and reigning him saves you 5 pre-june 1st.

Extending Jaire should save about $7-9m, but let's call it $5m since you're such an insufferable ****.

Extending Amos, restructuring Billy and Lowry, conservatively saves another $10m. Probably more like 12m, but I'll play your game.

Look, we're already $5m over.

Extending both Smiths saves you $20m more. 

This conservatively gives us $25m to give Davante a record setting deal ($10m in first year cap hit - if you really want I'll explain how if you promise to stop breathing out of your mouth) Campbell ($3m first year hit) and Douglas ($5m) we still have $7m for draft picks! Hooray!

This isn't saying I think that we SHOULD extend both Smiths. But we could.

(Also before you mention "but next year, oooo!!" We can already convert $34m in savings for next offseason with new restructures for Clark, Bakh and Jones without considering the restructures and extensions we can apply to Gary, Rodgers, Adams, any remaining Smith...you get the idea).

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Even that's limited, and it's hard to stack cap condensing decisions year after year. 

https://overthecap.com/calculator/green-bay-packers/

Look at the base salary column and you can see there isn't much to move around. 

You're in the right place. Learn how to use that site before spewing nonsense.

• Like 1

The Broncos GM says they are going to be aggressive when it comes to adding a new QB.  I wonder if there is a price that would get Gute's attention?  I don't think they have actually received offers yet, despite the report the other day that offers were on the table.  I'm not even sure the Packers have shown any interest in at least hearing what teams have to offer.  That seems like a mistake. 

The Packers are in a position to absolutely clean up when it comes to picks/players.  The market is so devoid of high quality QB's and the draft sucks this year for QB's.  I think there are some teams that are dying to overpay for a top QB.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

6 minutes ago, Norm said:

I'm hardly a saint when it comes to this but Jesus man lol. C'mon

Lol well the word used was more playful than anything else, so it looks worse than it is with the *s (lots of four letter words out there)

Rhymes with swat lol but yeah maybe a step too far 

• Like 1

Still haven't heard Gute say flat out that they aren't trading Aaron Rodgers.  C'mon GM's .. get your huge offers in to Gutey and make him ponder things a little bit.

Rob Demovsky

@RobDemovsky

If other teams are interested in trying to trade for Aaron Rodgers, they haven’t been in touch with Gutekunst.@TomSilverstein asked him how many GM’s have talked to him.

Said Gutekunst: “Not one.”

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

Oh now it's a team thing not a QB thing...

If that's the case Rodgers has always had a rubbish defence, doesn't have playmakers, passive front office when it came to talent acquisition yada yada

Rodgers has had a rubbish defense for like 4 years in his career. The rest of them have been average to elite trending more towards average.

How many years has Rodgers not had a top 5 WR? 5 total, MAYBE?

Just for fun I wanted to look at playoff records of recently retired and active QBs. I picked out the most signficant names and apologies if I missed someone on this list who should be on it.

First thing to note not many have double digit playoff wins, you have to make the playoffs enough and be around long enough to do that.
If you have a positive playoff record that probably means you have won a Super Bowl, like Stafford went from a negative record to a positive based on one season.
We have appromimately 4 active NFL QBs with a positive playoff record and the only one I would change Rodgers for is Mahomes and at a stretch Wilson.
So even if Rodgers has won enogh recently in the post season, very very few actually have. 

Aaron Rodgers playoff record 12-10

Recently retired QB’s
Tom Brady playoff record 35-12
Drew Bress playoff record 9-9
Ben Roethlisberger playoff record 13-10
Eli Manning playoff record 8-4
Peyton Manning playoff record 14-13

Philip Rivers playoff record 5-7
Alex Smith playoff record 2-5
Joe Flacco playoff record 10-5
Andrew Luck playoff record 4-4
Carson Palmer playoff record 1-3
Kurt Warner playoff record 9-4
Tony Romo playoff record 2-4
Michael Vick playoff record 2-4
Jay Cutler playoff record 1-1

Active QBs in the NFL
Matt Ryan playoff record 4-6
Russel Wilson playoff record 9-7
Lamar Jackson playoff record 1-3
Jimmy Garoppolo playoff record 5-2
Kirk Cousins playoff record 1-3
Ryan Tannehill playoff record 2-3
Patrick Mahomes playoff record 8-3
Dak Prescott playoff record 1-3
Carson Wentz playoff record 0-1
Matthew Stafford playoff record 4-3
Derek Carr playoff record 0-1
Josh Allen playoff record 3-3
Kyler Murray playoff record 0-1
Baker Mayfield playoff record 1-1
Cam Newton playoff record 3-4
Deshaun Watson playoff record 1-2
Teddy Bridgewater playoff record 0-1
Jared Goff playoff record 3-3

Edited by Brit Pack
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Rodgers has had a rubbish defense for like 4 years in his career. The rest of them have been average to elite trending more towards average.

How many years has Rodgers not had a top 5 WR? 5 total, MAYBE?

The point I'm trying to make in a weird way is that American Football is not scientific. You cannot predict previous performance as an indicator of future. Science is based on predictive results and the repitition of results. That is just not possible in the NFL, cos that is what makes the NFL so great is the unpredicatable nature of it. From the games themselves, to talent acqusition. We all like to act like we know that 1+1=2 but in NFL world 1+1 = -3 or sometimes even 1+1 = 4. 

Just cos Rodgers has played bad to average in his recent playoff runs doesn't mean he will every season henceforth. There are just too many factors at play. Any team that wins does so on pivotal moments in games. A single play can change the course of a game. As the blocked punt did for us this year.

Furthermore, and why I love the NFL is that it is microcosm for life. Decisions made which lead to good results, decisions which lead to bad results. The factor of luck, momentum, belief. The whole emotional psychology of it all. It is so unpredictable.   

It's easy to pick apart and look at the all 22 (if Gamepass didn't suck) and say he should of done this or that, but it isn't that clinical or scientific.

Rodgers is undeniably a talent and I just don't see how you move on from talent like that. 

14 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

The point I'm trying to make in a weird way is that American Football is not scientific. You cannot predict previous performance as an indicator of future. Science is based on predictive results and the repitition of results. That is just not possible in the NFL, cos that is what makes the NFL so great is the unpredicatable nature of it. From the games themselves, to talent acqusition. We all like to act like we know that 1+1=2 but in NFL world 1+1 = -3 or sometimes even 1+1 = 4. 

Just cos Rodgers has played bad to average in his recent playoff runs doesn't mean he will every season henceforth. There are just too many factors at play. Any team that wins does so on pivotal moments in games. A single play can change the course of a game. As the blocked punt did for us this year.

Furthermore, and why I love the NFL is that it is microcosm for life. Decisions made which lead to good results, decisions which lead to bad results. The factor of luck, momentum, belief. The whole emotional psychology of it all. It is so unpredictable.   

It's easy to pick apart and look at the all 22 (if Gamepass didn't suck) and say he should of done this or that, but it isn't that clinical or scientific.

"Rodgers is undeniably a talent and I just don't see how you move on from talent like that."

There is a point of diminishing returns.  An age 39 QB (after failing in the post season for about a dozen years in his prime years) and a hard cap which is now hitting us hard.  If you can get all of that under the same roof and it makes sense it may be best to bring this guy back.  If it doesn't all fit under the same roof, you don't.  Not if you're smart, not if the teams long term health has importance too.  As it should.  Especially so if moving this aging player brings you the tools to retool quick and easy vs. rebuild in a couple years tough and nasty.

Well, this would be something.  I can't see the Packers inking Rodgers to a new deal, but still allow him to walk away in 2023 free and clear if he so chooses.  That would be super stupid.

Andrew Brandt

@AndrewBrandt

·

49m

Can’t see AR doing that. More valuable than $.

Quote Tweet

Mike Heller

@HellerSports

· 50m

Replying to @AndrewBrandt

Wouldn't a new deal "likely" remove the opt out?

Andrew Brandt

@AndrewBrandt

·

50m

Any new deal for Aaron Rodgers is irrelevant past this year. He has an out next year to be a FA and pick his team.