Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

I take full credit and blame for Sullivan. I feel like every time I b!tched about him he made played plays and every time I would second guess myself like "maybe he's not so bad" he would be so bad. I flip flopped a lot on him and every time I had a vocal opinion on him he'd prove me wrong. I wasn't hard enough on him. Should have really dug my heels in on him sucking. My bad. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I take full credit and blame for Sullivan. I feel like every time I b!tched about him he made played plays and every time I would second guess myself like "maybe he's not so bad" he would be so bad. I flip flopped a lot on him and every time I had a vocal opinion on him he'd prove me wrong. I wasn't hard enough on him. Should have really dug my heels in on him sucking. My bad. 

You cost him millions on his free agent contract. How could you!

3 minutes ago, gopackgo972 said:

Lol at WR & TE. How does it come to this 15+ years later of having one of the best QBs of all time. Cupboard is empty for AR. 

You spend a lot of time watching Bayless and Cowherd don't you. 

• Like 4

I'd have liked to bring Sullivan back; he was functional, and our secondary is super thin.  AFter the front 5, who replaces the injuries; or even if we have zero injuries play dime?  Hopefully Ento and Grimes are just waiting to be revealed as quality players!

Sullivan was strictly slot, as a starter, although in years past he also played some boundary when injuries necessitated.  Do Rasul's qualities seem well suited for slot, do you think?  I'm guessing Gute must assume they do?  

I'll be curious to see what Sullivan got from Vikes.  I can't imagine much.  I wonder if his price is still high enough that Gute let him go for dollar reasons?  I'm guessing his price will prove so low that Gute just wanted to move on? I wonder whether Gute envisions deepening the secondary talent primarily through draft?  Or if they feel some of the younger depth/PS guys have some ready-to-step-up-just-waiting-for-an-opportunity potential?  Ento?  Grimes?  Jamal-Charles?  Thomas? 

4 minutes ago, craig said:

Do Rasul's qualities seem well suited for slot, do you think?  I'm guessing Gute must assume they do?  

No, Jaire's probably lining up in the slot next year, assuming the shoulder holds up. Stokes and Douglas are boundary corners.

I also have a really strong feeling that one of our first 4 picks is going to be another DB. @Packerraymond pegged Daxton Hill to us a while back and that pick makes entirely too much sense. We're probably coming away with, at least, 2 DBs in this class. One early (like Hill) and one or two day 3 (toolsy types that can play ST).

On MVS, I don't see his $18/2 deal as that huge.  It's not insignificant, but it could have been structures so that it didn't cap too hard in year one, or two.  Per report Gute did want him to sign, but at a club-friendly modest deal.  I think the fact that Gute was NOT willing to compete for an $18/2 deal kind of creates some context for Gute's level of valuation, and also for his acceptance that there will be other workarounds, whatever those might be.  

• Like 2

Zach Kruse -  Za'Darius Smith, Billy Turner, Kevin King* and Chandon Sullivan won't be playing in Green Bay next season but they will count about $21.2 million in dead money on the Packers salary cap.

*King still a free agent but probably unlikely to return

5 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Curb Your Enthusiasm Jewish GIF

What’s interesting are the WR group rated right above Gb and below. Like the bears are rated right above and I wonder why.

I didn’t realize the colts are so poor at WR too. They made it seem like it’s a Carson wentz issue, but by this one could argue it’s not like he has the best of weapons.