Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

12 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think the selection of Love lit a fire, but I also think year two in the MLF system probably had Rodgers feeling a lot more comfortable as well.  He had things mastered early on that season.

I think the change in HC was a major factor in why Rodgers had a resurgence and was back to back MVP.  He seems to have a great relationship with MLF and is enjoying playing again.  For a veteran like him that has to be a big reason why he is playing better now than he was the last couple of seasons with MM.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Les Punting said:

MIA eats nearly as much as they save by trading Parker. You'd likely have to pay a premium to get that deal done. 

Whether its Parker or some other mid-rate vet, that group alone can't take you anywhere. Success would rest squarely on your WR draft pick. If you land a high-performer, you win. Anything less and you're likely trapped below a critical WR talent threshold, inviting hyper-aggressive defense and forcing the offense into a qualitatively different type of passing game.

If it's "all-in", why gamble on a draft pick to plug the achilles-heel-sized hole at WR when there are proven options like Metcalf? Money isn't a legitimate objection. He won't cost until '23 and beyond. Draft compensation? He'll cost a premium pick but isn't he a good bet to outproduce any rookie you could draft?

There's also nothing stopping GB from trading for Metcalf and drafting a WR high. They have plenty of draft capital and enough future cap space to do it. Metcalf and Olave?  

The WR situation is dire enough that GB should be favoring the most reliable route back to respectability. That's Metcalf.

You have to wonder why Metcalf hasn't been traded yet.  It appears Seattle is not really keen on trading this player away.  We can covet him all day long but if the Seahawks want to keep him there isn't much we can do about it unless we offer them a king's ransom and that ain't happening.

29 minutes ago, Pugger said:

You have to wonder why Metcalf hasn't been traded yet.  It appears Seattle is not really keen on trading this player away.  We can covet him all day long but if the Seahawks want to keep him there isn't much we can do about it unless we offer them a king's ransom and that ain't happening.

Yeah everything I've ready about the situation lately tells me he's not as available as the media originally made him out to be.

Same with Parker in Miami and Cooks in Houston. We can dream on one of these moves happening but I think the options on the trade market are starting to dwindle.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

Want nothing to do with Metcalf.  He's just a muscled up MVS.  You can draft straight speed in the later rounds and save millions.

15 hours ago, Les Punting said:

Where does this come from? He and Lockett both averaged exactly 120 targets/season the past three years. They're obviously 1a and 1b. Metcalf was #1 in targets in '21.    

Purely came from my perspective of watching Seattle games.  Lockett was the focal point.  

When I was watching their passing game, which was rough at times, it looked like Lockett got a lot more attention from the secondary.

Guess I view Metcalf as a deep threat, but not someone who is as much of a chain mover as Lockett.

Always through that Metcalf was stiffer on his routes.  Didn't come out of breaks quickly or cleanly.  Easier to defend.  Except for the deep stuff.  

Could very well be wrong about that, too.   But that was just my perception of their passing game.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

As a Giants fan what’s the going rate for Jordan Love. 

Probably looking at roughly an early SRP in terms of value.  Green Bay really doesn't have any motivation to move him, so the notion that the Packers are going to hand him over isn't there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Les Punting said:

MIA eats nearly as much as they save by trading Parker. You'd likely have to pay a premium to get that deal done. 

That's being a bit disingenuous.  They save nearly $3.5M by trading him.  Having WR3 take up $8.7M of your cap space seems like an unwise use of resources.  Last year, the Dolphins WR3 (Albert Wilson) had 37 targets.  You have to imagine the majority of the targets that went to Parker are going to go to Tyreek Hill.  Hill has average 147 targets per season over the last two years.  I'm not saying that Miami should be desperate to trade him, but paying him $8.7M to sit on the bench is wasting money.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That's being a bit disingenuous.  They save nearly $3.5M by trading him.  Having WR3 take up $8.7M of your cap space seems like an unwise use of resources.  Last year, the Dolphins WR3 (Albert Wilson) had 37 targets.  You have to imagine the majority of the targets that went to Parker are going to go to Tyreek Hill.  Hill has average 147 targets per season over the last two years.  I'm not saying that Miami should be desperate to trade him, but paying him $8.7M to sit on the bench is wasting money.

I don't even think Parker is WR3 in that offense. I don't care what Miami's GM is saying to the media right now about keeping Parker, I'd virtually guarantee that he's released if not traded. They have Hill and Waddle as their 1-2 duo with Wilson as the natural slot WR. They also have Preston Williams who is a natural WR4 because he's cheap and young. Parker isn't even going to play absent injuries. I'd imagine he wants out just as badly. So it's not a matter of if he goes, just when and to which team. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

What...15% of the snaps? Unless Miami is using a lot more 4 WR sets than I'm aware of. 

DeVante Parker had 73 targets last year.  Albert Wilson and Preston Williams had a combined 55 targets last year. Miami isn't burying $8.7M onto the bench to play those two.  He's either going to be released or traded.