Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

9 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Cobb and Watkins should be solid for the 10 games combined they'll be healthy for next season

Pretty much the truth 

The worst is even when Sammy actually plays, I swear he's still always on the injury report

14 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

the reward is certainly there. If we do sign him, I’d like to hedge our bet and take another lottery pick. 

They've got Dr. Anderson on hand to take a look at those past foot issues that Watkins has sustained.  I want to say that his career would have went much smoother without those multiple foot issues early on.  He seems to have figured out how to play with it, but his numbers haven't been anything to write him about.  If they sign him it's got to be dirt cheap, and hopefully they don't stop there when it comes to FA wideouts.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Because the click bait media has convinced you that a bunch of teams just want to give away their 24 year old star WR's ? 

I don't think I've bitched about this yet on here but it's hilarious how they make it look like there's 10 young stud WRs available for trade this off season. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Watkins solves it and we can win a Super Bowl with him plus what we have.

Still you’d like to get a first or second round receiver, but we don’t need to make a big move if we get Watkins.

The Oracle has spoken guys

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

No. I've waited like 10 years for that it seems. They will figure it out in time. 

(I will continue to lie to myself).

If you want to see what it's going to be, read Eye of the World and then crack open that WoT series on Prime. That's what it's gonna be. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Dude is a tease.  Big time.  He's still only 28 years old.  4 teams in 8 years.  Injury prone.  I feel like he is more than Just A Guy right now based on his name and draft status only.

He's had one 1,000 yard season in his career.

But, he'd be a former first round pick that Rodgers would get to throw to, so we might as well do it and add to the trivia question.

Malik/Gafford/Blair/Winfree is the competition, at present.  There is a continuum between great and awful. If we hope for greatness because he was a former 1st rounder, that's dopey.  But so too is dismissing a guy because he's not great?    

We may under-appreciate the value of adding a JAG.  Watkins has averaged ~500 yards over the last six years.  But at 28, might he have a chance to compete for snaps with: 26-year-old Malik; 25-year-old Gafford and Winfree; and 24-year-old Blair?

I have no idea if he could outplay the best of Malik/Gafford/Blair/Winfree.  Beats me.  But those guys should be Gute's frame-of-reference, not Adams or 1000-yard receivers.  Sometimes JAG-average is a worthwhile upgrade on awful.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Watkins solves it and we can win a Super Bowl with him plus what we have.

Still you’d like to get a first or second round receiver, but we don’t need to make a big move if we get Watkins.

Watkins could be a useful addition and probably means we don't necessarily need to trade for someone.

The receiving group would still be very weak indeed though and would remain by a significant distance our number one need going into the draft. We would still be in the 'we pretty much have to draft a receiver early' category rather than 'would like to'.

Going into the season with Watkins and what we have would be really bad.

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Watkins has gotten hurt in week 4 or 5 every year for the last 4 years. He always comes out of the gate hot, (been on pace for 1000+ yards in the first quarter of 3/4 of those seasons) gets hurt and then the snap counts and production go way down when he comes back. Keeping him healthy is going to first and foremost be the key, because if anything he's penciled in at #1 or #2 if he signs, so the snap counts are only going up. 

That said, familiarity with his position coach and HC is nice. He's obviously supremely talented. Those who think we're doing this instead of trading for Metcalf, McLaurin or Deebo are going to be pissed, but they're also morons so we should just ignore them. Those who understand we used Tae's money to sign Rasul, Tonyan, Reed and two top 53 picks and thus are going to take a "Moneyball" approach to this WR core, should be happy about this. There's a definite chance that you can get more value for your dollar with Watkins or Fuller vs Jones or Landry which you're going to pay them for the success they've had elsewhere. 

Well...I'm happy (you think I'm gonna self declare as a moron....you're the moron! :) )

25 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Because the click bait media has convinced you that a bunch of teams just want to give away their 24 year old star WR's ? 

There’s never been even a small fraction of me that believes we’d trade for a star receiver lol. Any other ideas? 

Gute tried to sign Watkins as a free agent in 2018. He was the 1st wide receiver drafted in the great 2014 wide receiver class that included Mike Evans, OBJ, Brandin Cooks, Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, Jared Abbrederis and Jeff Janis.

• Like 2