Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, vegas492 said:

Incorrect.  The correct answer is Watson.  :)

In all seriousness, though, how about Williams? 

Williams is rare, like 6'2 DeSean Jackson rare. Olave is a technician. Burks is a bit unrefined as a route runner, big, strong, plenty fast, great as a YAC guy. That's the closest to Watkins coming out. 

Just now, Scoremore said:

Yah know with this signing makes it more likely he could be in play.  Buys us some time while he recovers.  Could see us taking him at #22 if he lasts that long. 

Round when Watkins is scheduled for some IR time.....Williams would be coming on board  :)
(But we're not gonna get Williams. He's gonna be long gone IMO- hopefully not to anybody in our division)

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Williams is rare, like 6'2 DeSean Jackson rare. Olave is a technician. Burks is a bit unrefined as a route runner, big, strong, plenty fast, great as a YAC guy. That's the closest to Watkins coming out. 

Thanks.

The only thing that took me away from Burkes is how he was used in college.  Not really a boundary type receiver.  Then again, I don't know what Watkins was coming out either.  But I've always viewed him as a boundary guy in the NFL and that is not what Burkes was in college.

Totally get the size/strength/speed comp.

Just now, Leader said:

Only caveat I'd add to your comment......I dont want Pierce to be the top WR we draft.

Depends on the board Leader.  I agree.  Pierce is out MVS replacement.  Still need to find that potential #1.  Only guys that might fall Williams, Burks, perhaps Olave.  Might be able to nab one of those guys.  Probably have to trade up in the 2nd to land Pickens or just take him at #28.    Pierce has a shot of being there at #53 but that's not guarantee either. 

Just now, Scoremore said:

Depends on the board Leader.  I agree.  Pierce is out MVS replacement.  Still need to find that potential #1.  Only guys that might fall Williams, Burks, perhaps Olave.  Might be able to nab one of those guys.  Probably have to trade up in the 2nd to land Pickens or just take him at #28.    Pierce has a shot of being there at #53 but that's not guarantee either. 

This is where I differ......I dont want to be losing out on top talent "because of how the board drops" - nope. I want Gute to go get some WRs with the same gusto he moved up for other positions in previous drafts. Will he? Probably not.

Just now, packfanfb said:

I mean, if we want to get technical about it, Watkins' production is on par with MVS, who got $10m a year. 

Fact checking....

Past 4 years.

MVS: 31 catches, 538 yards.

Watkins: 39 catches, 501 yards.

Math checks out.

• Like 1

Yeah he's essentially the MVS replacement. Not a huge fan of it because the guy has had major availability issues over the years, so he's just not a guy you can count on to suit up for every game regardless of what his role will be. Still, obviously far more cheaper than MVS so on the surface it's better value. We knew GB was gonna be adding a handful of bodies to the WR room via FA/trade/Draft, so this is just one of a handful of new additions.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Pat McAfee show with Rodgers.

Rodgers loves Watkins, said he was texting him last night about coming to GB.

So there's your influence boys.  For better or worse.

Rodgers continues to be an atrocious recruiter and a terrible evaluator

• Like 2