Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

12 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Waller has 2 years left on a deal with no guaranteed money. He is likely looking for an extension that could lower lower his cap hit in 2022. Trading a 2nd for Waller would lower the amount of cap money dedicated to draft picks. It would be doable.

Why on Earth would they trade Waller now with 2 yrs left on his deal when they just added Adams?  Why wouldn’t they want to see this offense altogether in its newest form?  That makes no sense unless he’s disgruntled.   I can see GB possibly trying to pry him away but that’s prolly where this ended. 

Edited by thrILL!

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

why leak to Nagler now?

I don't know the answer to that one -  but there's always the possibility that Nagler and others have known for some time and chose this week as the best time to drop the bomb. Not unlike a schefturd

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

Question....the hang up apparently was Davante wouldnt sign the tag - so the Waller&pick for DA wasnt possible.....but - could Davante have signed the tag - the deal gone down - and LV renegotiate DA's contract to represent what he signed for (?) or would league rules mandate he play a year at the tag level?

Pretty sure if you sign the tag, your contract # in year one has to be close to the same as it was on the tag. 

He's still a franchise tagged player if he signs the tag though, so Ive seen nothing that says suddenly we'd have been able to trade for Waller if he signed it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Why on Earth would they trade Waller now with 2 yrs left on his deal when they just added Adams?  Why wouldn’t they want to see this offense altogether in its newest form?  That makes no sense unless he’s disgruntled.   I can see GB possibly trying to pry him away but that’s prolly where this ended. 

So let's make him disgruntled by leaking a story to a low level beat guy, where it's easy to pass it off as a no-name reporter trying to make a name for himself, and put a nugget in Waller's brain that the grass could be greener elsewhere.

FROu94sVsAAI_lh?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Well, I didn't say they would. I was just addressing the issue of whether the Packers could make the deal work with their cap situation. But since you asked...

Maybe with the money they're paying Carr and Adams, they figure they won't be able to keep Waller long term. Maybe they really like Foster Moreau and want to give him more playing time. Maybe they don't like the idea of not having a draft pick until the 3rd round. Maybe Waller was messing around with the GM's wife. Could be a lot of reasons. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Well, I didn't say they would. I was just addressing the issue of whether the Packers could make the deal work with their cap situation. But since you asked...

Maybe with the money they're paying Carr and Adams, they figure they won't be able to keep Waller long term. Maybe they really like Foster Moreau and want to give him more playing time. Maybe they don't like the idea of not having a draft pick until the 3rd round. Maybe Waller was messing around with the GM's wife. Could be a lot of reasons. 

With Adams on board, Waller is likely to see his targets reduced considerably. Adams and Renfro will each likely see 8-10 targets per game. 

Waller will be 32 when he hits free agency in '24. He's never really cashed in. He's not getting a new, premium deal from LV, so getting himself traded to a team that will extend him makes sense. 

53 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

They want their pick 22 back, and know him better than anyone.  He's good, but he's not going to get better yet.  I hope Gute has a smidgeon of his ball sack left and just says no to hipster magoo who know doubt wants him here only caring about this year and maybe next.  To hell with the organization after that.  

10 minutes ago, 15412 said:

They want their pick 22 back, and know him better than anyone.  He's good, but he's not going to get better yet.  I hope Gute has a smidgeon of his ball sack left and just says no to hipster magoo who know doubt wants him here only caring about this year and maybe next.  To hell with the organization after that.  

The original deal was Waller and 22, thus Waller = 2nd round pick. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

The only one to say it was sent into the league was Justo, so it probably was never sent to the league. Personally, I'd be embarrassed if our GM and FO didn't know the rules of the league they've spent their entire lives working in.

I bet they discussed Waller, but it never went further than that.

Nagler did too? He’s hardly rap but

anyway think we all thought this anyway:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Sure, but now they have Adams and Waller. They were willing to give Waller if it was the only way to get Adams, but now that they have both, are they at all interested in giving him up? If they were, Waller would already be a Packer. Think this is a dead month old rumor personally.

You think it's a dead issue with Waller, his agent and his ego? The team tried to trade you! That does not sit well with players. Plus, he wants a new deal and the Raiders are probably privy to the asking price of that new deal.

This may not happen with the Packers, but I find it hard to believe he's going to be a Raider if the asking price was only a 2nd round pick. 

This really could be a big nothing.  We have no idea what comp the two teams were talking about, or if the deal was seriously ever discussed.  Smoke and mirrors, speculation and created drama for the rumor mill.  Sure sounds like Waller isn't going anywhere and I'm thankful for that.  Possibly Ol Rodg leaked out a wet dream hoping he could force it to come true?

What we do know is there is a lot of truth what supposedly his ex-girl Woodley said...."“But she quickly saw that everything was on his terms and nothing was going to change.”

We sure can testify to that!

17 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Nagler did too? He’s hardly rap but

anyway think we all thought this anyway:

Also isn’t this the kiss of death too? Didn’t Seattle just say they weren’t trading Wilson?

Teams aren’t trading a guy until the ink is dry.

Matt Miller confirmed Nagler… and honestly I think both are clearly in the know with sources. The only thing I can’t say is if they are willing to put this type of stuff out there when it’s complete bs on behalf of teams/agents to build stronger connections.

So there is no doubt Waller was discussed and probably even likely in the first draft of the deal. The issue is like I stated earlier… what’s the play now for releasing this information? Who does it benefit? All this smoke now isn’t worth reading…each team is going to run their media to look good now. A bunch of raider media is going to say this is wrong and there is zero chance etc etc.

Everyone assumes Green Bay leaked this to Nagler…. But like someone mentioned what if it was Waller’s agent? I’d imagine the agent could represent someone on the packers and Nagler could have a connection there.