Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

8 minutes ago, Norm said:

Yeah that's what's odd. It's not a big deal but it feels random...

At the end of the day, he's probably never going to be more than a QB3.  Maybe a QB2 if you had a Craig Nall situation, but you didn't need to open a roster spot and it's not like they're trying to get a different developmental QB.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

At the end of the day, he's probably never going to be more than a QB3.  Maybe a QB2 if you had a Craig Nall situation, but you didn't need to open a roster spot and it's not like they're trying to get a different developmental QB.

Yeah exactly where I'm at with it. Just felt odd to do at this point in time unless there's just something going on or some plan I'm not privy to

5 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I'm guessing they saw more upside in Etling. If Packers knew they would be releasing him at some point, doing the release now might help Benkert. Gives him the opportunity to latch on with some team before training camp starts.   

Had no idea we still had Etling. Good call

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Just seems like a pointless move.  They're going to need another camp arm at some point.

Looking at everyone's depth charts it shows that 14 teams are currently carrying 3 QB's to training camp, so I'm not sure they are feeling a need for another camp arm. As others have noted, it wouldn't be odd that the Packers see more upside in Etling over Benkert. 

Also guessing they are planning to add a veteran in the next week, maybe King is back on a vet minimum deal? Or a camp WR, they have only 10 bodies in that room right now and they usually start training camp with 11 or 12.