Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

With the waiving of Benkert maybe we should be thinking a little outside of the box and think about the 100's of USFL players that will be FA's come Monday. Regular season ends tomorrow, and the Championship game is July 3rd. Maybe New Jersey Generals QB Luis Perez who is 9/1 in TD to INT ratio and a QBR of 145.9 would be of interest to the Packers as a camp arm. Maybe it is not a QB, but another pass catcher like Birmingham Stallions WR Marlon Williams who averaged over 15 yards a catch and probably fits the Packers profile. Or the USFL's leading pass catching TE Sal Cannella. 

Now that is wildly flinging some darts in the dark right there, but the Packers have something on their minds for that 90th roster spot.   

Edited by R T
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, R T said:

Looking at everyone's depth charts it shows that 14 teams are currently carrying 3 QB's to training camp, so I'm not sure they are feeling a need for another camp arm. As others have noted, it wouldn't be odd that the Packers see more upside in Etling over Benkert. 

Also guessing they are planning to add a veteran in the next week, maybe King is back on a vet minimum deal? Or a camp WR, they have only 10 bodies in that room right now and they usually start training camp with 11 or 12.  

How many of those teams have a QB that will effectively take minimal snaps in camp and the preseason?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

How many of those teams have a QB that will effectively take minimal snaps in camp and the preseason?

Seems like an odd question, if you are referring to the 14 teams carrying 3 QB's I would say all of them. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe with new WR in

Watkins, Watson, Doubs, Toure and a 2nd year WR in Rodgers, QB Rodgers might take a few extra reps to get more in sync with that group

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Great question. 

Looking through it, not sure if Josh Allen or Joe Burrow will be taking many snaps.

I'm sure Russel Wilson will be playing in the preseason what with the new scheme/players/environment.

Matt Stafford seems to be the only one I'd say is highly likely to sit out a majority of the preseason. Strangely, it's a lot of the teams with terrible QB situations that have 3 QBs rostered. 

26 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I forgot we added Reed until Gary just hyped me up about it all over again.

I still don’t think last year’s defense was a legit one. Susceptible.

This year I feel will be the first legit defense I’ve seen since 2010.

It's gotta stay healthy and build off of last year, right?

When Lowry/Reed/Wyatt/Slaton are duking it out for reps on the DL, you are in good shape.

When your secondary is JA, Stokes, Douglas, Amos and Savage, you'd better be good.

When you have an All Pro ILB and a first round rookie next to him, and a 3 year vet behind them, you should be good at that level.

Throw in a little P and Gary on the EDGE and that first team has to be legit.

Hopefully someone steps up as EDGE 3 or we find one ala Mercilus last year.

Going into the season, this is the best defense I can remember back to the old Reggie White days, okay, that 2010/2011 D was just fine as well.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

It's gotta stay healthy and build off of last year, right?

When Lowry/Reed/Wyatt/Slaton are duking it out for reps on the DL, you are in good shape.

When your secondary is JA, Stokes, Douglas, Amos and Savage, you'd better be good.

When you have an All Pro ILB and a first round rookie next to him, and a 3 year vet behind them, you should be good at that level.

Throw in a little P and Gary on the EDGE and that first team has to be legit.

Hopefully someone steps up as EDGE 3 or we find one ala Mercilus last year.

Going into the season, this is the best defense I can remember back to the old Reggie White days, okay, that 2010/2011 D was just fine as well.

Honestly, I’m not excited about Jarran Reed. I’m excited about Clark, Reed, Wyatt and Slaton. And same at ILB and CB.

We’ve got crazy depth at 3/5 position groups.

If we have a single solitary jump from an unexpected player at EDGE or S, it’s gonna be a top 3 squad.

The depth right now is just unreal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Honestly, I’m not excited about Jarran Reed. I’m excited about Clark, Reed, Wyatt and Slaton. And same at ILB and CB.

We’ve got crazy depth at 3/5 position groups.

If we have a single solitary jump from an unexpected player at EDGE or S, it’s gonna be a top 3 squad.

The depth right now is just unreal.

Yah just gotta feel like if we can rotate the DL and keep them fresh, the ILB's benefit.  The EDGE guys benefit.  The secondary benefits.....  And this is the best DL we've had since I can really remember.  It has but one star in Clark, but there are a lot of quality guys there and like you said, all that has to happen is for one to be better than we thought.  Reed, Slaton, Slayton, Wyatt.

CheeseheadTV  -   Let's pump the brakes on defensive expectations.

• Ross Uglem -   IMO, this is very fair. I *love* the personnel, but my faith in the coordinator is lukewarm at best and they were 22nd in defensive DVOA, 28th in rush DVOA, and 10th in ppg against. Elite would be another (significant) step forward.

3 hours ago, Leader said:

CheeseheadTV  -   Let's pump the brakes on defensive expectations.

• Ross Uglem -   IMO, this is very fair. I *love* the personnel, but my faith in the coordinator is lukewarm at best and they were 22nd in defensive DVOA, 28th in rush DVOA, and 10th in ppg against. Elite would be another (significant) step forward.

I agree with this. The potential is there, but they have a lot to prove. They had some real bad performances late in the year against Baltimore, Cleveland and Detroit. The great performance against the 49ers came as a bit of a surprise because of the way the defense had been playing in previous weeks. (The Viking game with Sean Mannion at QB doesn't count IMO😄). If they want to be elite, they need to bring it every week.

16 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

I agree with this. The potential is there, but they have a lot to prove. They had some real bad performances late in the year against Baltimore, Cleveland and Detroit. The great performance against the 49ers came as a bit of a surprise because of the way the defense had been playing in previous weeks. (The Viking game with Sean Mannion at QB doesn't count IMO😄). If they want to be elite, they need to bring it every week.

Is top 15 asking to much?

On 6/18/2022 at 7:22 PM, R T said:

With the waiving of Benkert maybe we should be thinking a little outside of the box and think about the 100's of USFL players that will be FA's come Monday. Regular season ends tomorrow, and the Championship game is July 3rd. Maybe New Jersey Generals QB Luis Perez who is 9/1 in TD to INT ratio and a QBR of 145.9 would be of interest to the Packers as a camp arm. Maybe it is not a QB, but another pass catcher like Birmingham Stallions WR Marlon Williams who averaged over 15 yards a catch and probably fits the Packers profile. 

Now that is wildly flinging some darts in the dark right there, but the Packers have something on their minds for that 90th roster spot.   

What about a Terry McLaurin trade?  This would take pressure off the rookies and give them time to adjust to NFL life.  This would also allow the Packers to move away from Watkins and Cobb in 2023.  In 23 they would have McLaurin, Lazard, Watson, Doubs and Rodgers as the big 5.