Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

7 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

They were like a top 5 run block win rate through the regular season. Sometimes you have tough games. Sometimes internet posters dont know whats happening.

I gave you literal facts that supported my "they were fine" argument. You gave literally nothing. Which is literally all you,ever do. Never any substance to add to a discussion, only off the cuff opinions. Youre done being in my purview

As I pointed out the Packer OL deteriorated last year- fact. The OL was a disaster in the playoffs- fact. The OL was stoned in half the games last year- fact. I pointed out the running game took about 1/2 a yard hit last year- fact. I pointed out how the young guys had trouble with the blitz- fact. It's well know. I didn't have to point out the KC game or how sacks went up over 60% last year to illustrate the fact.

Just the facts. Again, sorry it's upset you so much.

14 minutes ago, R T said:

In other news in Wisconsin today, Kettle calls the pot black.

(Calling someone ignorant and obtuse because they disagree with you is ignorant and obtuse.)

Your fulminating exposes you to what you complained about. Calling what someone said one thing then spinning that into a comment about the person is trolling 101- awful. My comment had nothing to do about disagreement. It was entirely about the quality of the comment.

59 minutes ago, Donzo said:

It was a disaster in the playoffs, they couldn't run block in half the games and they were pretty bad against the blitz. So, no, not fine.

Absolutely.  Anyone who thinks losing Bak and Jenkins wasn't a major factor in the deterioration of our OL at the tackle position last year is kidding themselves.  We also didn't have Myers for a several weeks during the regular season so we had to do more shuffling around.  Starting Kelly at RT in that playoff game against SF killed us IMO.  I heard he recently signed with the Colts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

The deterioration to league average. The line was fine.

League average is fine? I'm not sure what you're claiming here. Considering how good the OL was in 2020, a deterioration to league average would be a pretty significant deterioration. Am I missing something?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Absolutely.  Anyone who thinks losing Bak and Jenkins wasn't a major factor in the deterioration of our OL at the tackle position last year is kidding themselves.

Exactly.

The left side went from Bakhtiari, Jenkinks and Linsley (an all time great group!) to Nijman, Runyan and Myers- dang... So, I had no issue with recognizing the challenge of that change. It should have been expected.

Now that we've had two offseasons to adjust to the change from 2020, we should be considerably better on the OL this year.

The line took a hit last year.  No doubt about it.  I think it was @AlexGreen#20 who wrote it up once and did a much better job of explaining it that I will.

Losing Linsley was a huge loss.  He had the ability to redirect the first guy he blocked and get the second level.  Which resulted in long, often times, gamebreaking runs by Jones.  And those did not happen last year.  Cause and effect.

Playoff wise, we more or less abandoned the run when Dillon went down against the 49ers.  We had one series when Jones ran often and for okay yards.  And?  We got a field goal out of it.  But it really beat Jones up.  I felt like we were trying to save Jones from the beating and went away from the run.  And our pass game was dismal because our QB couldn't figure out post snap defenses.

2 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

League average is fine? I'm not sure what you're claiming here. Considering how good the OL was in 2020, a deterioration to league average would be a pretty significant deterioration. Am I missing something?

The difference in play from 2020 to 2021 without 3 Pro Bowlers from 2020 was not the point when he said they were fine. In typical internet fashion people have taken a simply comment, 'the line was fine' and blown it into something far more. The definition of fine used as an adverb is 'in a satisfactory manner'. The OL played in a satisfactory manner last season even without the play of 3 Pro Bowlers from the season before. Were they as good with a bunch young fill-ins, of course not, but that doesn't make his comment of them being 'fine' incorrect either.      

Just now, vegas492 said:

The line took a hit last year.  No doubt about it.  I think it was @AlexGreen#20 who wrote it up once and did a much better job of explaining it that I will.

Losing Linsley was a huge loss.  He had the ability to redirect the first guy he blocked and get the second level.  Which resulted in long, often times, gamebreaking runs by Jones.  And those did not happen last year.  Cause and effect.

Playoff wise, we more or less abandoned the run when Dillon went down against the 49ers.  We had one series when Jones ran often and for okay yards.  And?  We got a field goal out of it.  But it really beat Jones up.  I felt like we were trying to save Jones from the beating and went away from the run.  And our pass game was dismal because our QB couldn't figure out post snap defenses.

I agree, losing Linsley was a big loss but I like what I've seen with Myers so far.

23 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Your fulminating exposes you to what you complained about. Calling what someone said one thing then spinning that into a comment about the person is trolling 101- awful. My comment had nothing to do about disagreement. It was entirely about the quality of the comment.

Kettle calls pot black, part II. 

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

I agree, losing Linsley was a big loss but I like what I've seen with Myers so far.

I haven't seen enough of him at all to determine if he can actually be a competent center yet.

I HOPE he will be good.  He has a huge, athletic body and appears to have a good brain, but he was injured for most of the year.

And is now wearing knee braces.  It shouldn't limit his movement all that much, but it will limit him some.

50 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

Tonyan looked good runnin at TEU

I thought he looked good in the OTA videos too.  Kylin Hill looked good as well, and Jenkins had a little balance issue when he was doing the ladder (I think that is what it was called) drill.  Jenkins is a lot heavier than the other two, so it wasn't too worrying.  Was Tonyan able to push anything though? Or change directions?