Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

7 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

These guys can't actually believe the nonsense they throw out there, can they?  This is just stupid.

It's right there with my troll take that "Mike Tomlin is the worst coach the Steelers have had in 50+ yrs" - doesn't mean that Tomlin is a bad coach, just means the Steelers have been really good/lucky on the coach front. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

"Rodgers has frequently complained about the processes in Green Bay and the lack of context in the media. But his own side of the story shows that not all narrators are reliable"

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/3/16/23642264/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-drama

Rodgers thing about the way GB treats vets has always been so dumb. Every NFL team cuts vets for cap purposes every year. He wanted GB to keep Jordy & Clay until they decided they were done, but that’s not how any NFL team operates. It’s no surprise to me, then, that these problems seemed to go away for awhile once GB threw $150M at him. “It’s about the people” = “give me, specifically, more money”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Extending Gary is the last thing that can grant us 3-4m in relief. We do that, we probably have room for one nice FA. Trading Savage or Nijman also gets us that opportunity. Other than that, we pretty much have room to dumpster dive.

This would be the draft to hit on all our picks.

Prime the pump.

Who do you want us to hurry and sign right now at what position?   There are a couple TE's out there, with Tonyan gone and Lewis likely to follow that might be a target along with drafting one fairly early. Safety likely to be addressed. This is a team presently with few immediate needs..

28 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Why are we creating all this cap space and signing no one? Letting Bobby get away was a mistake. The Bears are making Chess moves while the Packers are signing long snappers.

We got the most important free agent back in GB with Nixon.

Now we are creating room because of simple math...

When teams sign free agents, they still have to mind the cap.  So many times if you sign a higher priced one, soon you have to release a player or two to get under the cap.  Typically if there are 300 or so free agents at the start of the period, there will be 300 or so free agents 3-4 weeks into free agency because of this dynamic.

And we will have some space for these bargain signees.

33 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Why are we creating all this cap space and signing no one? Letting Bobby get away was a mistake. The Bears are making Chess moves while the Packers are signing long snappers.

Bobby was overrated and dime-a-dozen player. He was slower than dirt last year following the ACL and maybe he gets that extra step back, maybe not. If we want a difference maker at TE, he's coming through the draft. After you get through the Kelce's, Kittle's and Goedert's of the NFL (top 10 TEs or so), there's very little difference between guy 15 and guy 50. 

Tonyan averaged 3 rec per game and 27 yards per game. I'm sorry, but Tyler Davis, the Tyler Davis, could replicate that today if needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Extending Gary is the last thing that can grant us 3-4m in relief. We do that, we probably have room for one nice FA. Trading Savage or Nijman also gets us that opportunity. Other than that, we pretty much have room to dumpster dive.

Right now I would trade savage for nothing, for cap space. I think there are better players available at his salary