Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Does a vet prevent that One of them wind up on the practice squad, which means playing in games with the new practice squad rules. Heck, you could have the vet inactive for a lot of games. 

I'm personally not looking for the vet to put up numbers as much as mentor. Having said that, it would be difficult to find somebody who would take that job if they thought they had anything left in the tank.

TO me, holding back the WR a tiny bit is nothing compared to giving the QB the best chance to develop.  If the Vet earns the snaps give him the snaps!  QB needs the best 5 eligibles out there as much as possible

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'd like a vet in the WR room.  Talking about someone who knows and understands how to be a professional.  Someone to help them watch film and identify coverages.  To me it's less than having them on the field.

And...what I'm describing can also be a coach.  (Duh moment for me, I know.)

Given that this will be Love's first year, I don't want a vet WR eating snaps.  I want Jordan to learn and grow with these WR's.  Namely Watson, Doubs, Toure and whoever that overdrafted, underathletic kid was that we took in the second round.  

He isn't underathletic, he is undersized.  5'11, with the same tape measure that said Chase Daniel is 6'0.  I need to borrow that tape measure some time...

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

He isn't underathletic, he is undersized.  5'11, with the same tape measure that said Chase Daniel is 6'0.  I need to borrow that tape measure some time...

He's turrible.  Makes Clifford look good.  

Kid's girlfriend is so ugly that when she was born, the doctor slapped her mother.  Mosquitos stay away from her.  She has to trick or treat by phone.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Hard pass. Two are cooked, one was never good.

Perriman is not cooked.  He's had a nice career as a WR3 just got caught in a really weird situation in Tampa where there were too many people who were given too many opportunities in a HOF QBs breakdown year. 

I don't think Landry is either, but he did get injured.  He had 2 games at the start of the season where he was healthy, then he got hurt and didn't really see the field.

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He's turrible.  Makes Clifford look good.  

Kid's girlfriend is so ugly that when she was born, the doctor slapped her mother.  Mosquitos stay away from her.  She has to trick or treat by phone.

He did make the Michigan State QB look passable...

But it doesn't really matter because Christian Watson is going to have the first 3500 yard season, and make Jordan Love look like a good QB.  

21 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

But it doesn't really matter because Christian Watson is going to have the first 3500 yard season, and make Jordan Love look like a good QB.  

Stupid Christian Watson.  Course he'd go and do that to make Love look competent.

And...the next time Watson has 700 yards in a season will be his first time.

Still can't believe we traded all that draft capital to move up for him.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Combined they have 2 more seasons in the system than any vet WR (with the possible exception of Corey Davis)

I think this is a helpful note, cognit.  Should a veteran be able to pick up an unfamiliar offense faster than a rookie?  Yes, probably so.  But it's still new for an outside vet.  (Other than if the Jets guy was that guy, or if it was Cobb or Kumerow.).  With one year with the team, Toure is probably more likely to know where to go and to be in the right place than some new vet.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, craig said:

I think this is a helpful note, cognit.  Should a veteran be able to pick up an unfamiliar offense faster than a rookie?  Yes, probably so.  But it's still new for an outside vet.  (Other than if the Jets guy was that guy, or if it was Cobb or Kumerow.).  With one year with the team, Toure is probably more likely to know where to go and to be in the right place than some new vet.  

The idea that NFL teams all run such unique and complex playbooks is overblown.  The route combinations in Today's NFL are not drastically different from team to team.  Every team has mesh in their playbook, every team has TE leak in their playbook. And so on.

What happens that IS very different is the different splits and formations compared to college offenses.  In college schemes they stand in the same place every play, and once in a while they run a jet motion.  Some receivers don't run a full route tree in college, so they are learning that as well.

Any player with 4-5 seasons under their belt in the NFL at WR is going to avoid the myriad of mental errors that playing in an NFL offense teaches you to avoid.  They are gonna line up in the right place, they are gonna be on the LOS when they are supposed to be and off the LOS when they are supposed to be.  They are gonna run a 5 yard hitch from this alignment vs this defense vs a 7 yard hitch vs another.

The packers in 2023 are 100% going to lose 1-2 winnable games because the WRs aren't doing the correct thing on the play.  And you won't hear about it because they will keep it in house.

All that is to say Toure is probably half way there to getting it.  Maybe a little more, maybe a little less.

• Like 2

No to a Vet WR.  We have plenty of young talent that needs to be developed.  It's going to be different this year.  A lot of rooks will get a chance to play.  It's not like we are chasing a championship this year so let it all hang out.  I'd treat it like preseason.  Use the year to audition all this young talent and evaluate them.  Sure mistakes are going to be made that's par for the course when you have a young roster.  This is not the year to hold the rookies back.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

The idea that NFL teams all run such unique and complex playbooks is overblown.  The route combinations in Today's NFL are not drastically different from team to team.  Every team has mesh in their playbook, every team has TE leak in their playbook. And so on.

What happens that IS very different is the different splits and formations compared to college offenses.  In college schemes they stand in the same place every play, and once in a while they run a jet motion.  Some receivers don't run a full route tree in college, so they are learning that as well.

Any player with 4-5 seasons under their belt in the NFL at WR is going to avoid the myriad of mental errors that playing in an NFL offense teaches you to avoid.  They are gonna line up in the right place, they are gonna be on the LOS when they are supposed to be and off the LOS when they are supposed to be.  They are gonna run a 5 yard hitch from this alignment vs this defense vs a 7 yard hitch vs another.

The packers in 2023 are 100% going to lose 1-2 winnable games because the WRs aren't doing the correct thing on the play.  And you won't hear about it because they will keep it in house.

All that is to say Toure is probably half way there to getting it.  Maybe a little more, maybe a little less.

Don't forget about the hand signals too, those are so complex even the coaches don't know them

5 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Adds an inch huh? With that tape I could probably stretch out to 3"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Has to stay on the field first. My biggest concern with Watson isn't talent, it's availability. Had a knee procedure, like 2 concussions and a hammy issue IIRC in the span of one season.