Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

If you think his show spews garbage, and you watch his show, you are contributing to the problem.

I like AJ Hawk.  I also think it is fun.  If the sports content is all like first take now, which it is, at least make the stupidness be fun.  

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 8:18 PM, {Family Ghost} said:

I can't see us topping 7-10 this year. We are just too inexperienced at QB, WR, and TE to be consistent enough to string wins together.  My hope is that steady progress is shown throughout the season and at years end we all have the feeling that we are on the brink of something special. 

As it stands, I would probably say 7-10 would be about par for us next season and if I was a bookie would be putting the line around there.

We have so many exciting young players though that you just don't know who will catch fire.  

On defense, unless the rookies make an impact early then the DL looks wafer thin and the Safety room looks extremely weak. We don't exactly have the best DC going so not overly confident in the 2023 defense.

Offense who knows.  For the passing game to work we probably need Love getting up to speed very quickly and Watson to stay healthy and probably at least one of the rookie TEs to be effective early. 

Unless Gutey has absolutely nailed the draft with multiple early impact guys then it probably looks a year early if you are realistic.  All goes well though and this should be a team that keeps getting better for the next few years. Next year, with a healthier cap we should also be in a position to plug gaps with vets again.

On 5/9/2023 at 7:03 PM, craig said:

It's a young man's game, and energy/legs/ motivation of a young ascending player often play better than a pricier grizzled vet.  The o-line might be way better this year, who knows?  Perhaps we'll get fewer injuries this season, who knows?  

This is a good point, a consequence of the team getting old was the increased injury risk. Part of Rodgers form last year was put down to his thumb - sadly for him 38 year old thumbs break easier than 25 year old thumbs.  Half the team seemed to be recovering from ACL tears as well last year.

2 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

This is a good point, a consequence of the team getting old was the increased injury risk. Part of Rodgers form last year was put down to his thumb - sadly for him 38 year old thumbs break easier than 25 year old thumbs.  Half the team seemed to be recovering from ACL tears as well last year.

Two, Jenkins and Bak. I do not remember any others. This year Gary has an ACL and Stokes has a pretty terrible leg injury he is recovering from. 

On 5/9/2023 at 12:51 PM, skibrett15 said:

They get to play the lions, packers and Bears - that's all that matters

And the only team, of those three, that they swept were the Bears.

The Vikings ran like absolute gods last season and ran pretty pure with injuries as well. Now they get the #1 schedule and a likely regression plus a depleted roster compared to the rest of the division. I think you're really overestimating their chances of repeating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Striker said:

The Vikings ran like absolute gods last season and ran pretty pure with injuries as well. Now they get the #1 schedule and a likely regression plus a depleted roster compared to the rest of the division. I think you're really overestimating their chances of repeating.

All I'm doing is putting them even with the Lions as co-favorites.  They aren't clearly better/worse than they are last year and they aren't clearly better/worse than the lions

Did I miss this conversation, or are you all leaving it to me to have this conversation?

Uffda: Matt Araiza?

Y'all: Nope. Whatever cap we have will not go to a legally entangled punter with bad PR vibes.

Uffda: Dang. He punts real far, though.

Y'all: Nope.

10 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Did I miss this conversation, or are you all leaving it to me to have this conversation?

Y'all: Nope. Whatever cap we have will not go to a legally entangled punter with bad PR vibes.

It would've been muuuuuch more worthwhile to have this conversation when we were still a freaking joke when it came to ST. Now we're more likely to second-guess Bisaccia and conclude he prefers O'Donnell's ballholding skills.

That and just how much more money to we have to scratch out of the Cap anyways?

17 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

This conversation has been brought up a couple of times now. I'm indifferent to Araiza, if he is signed wonderful, if not wonderful again. The punt real far thing isn't really an advantage if it isn't also real high, out kicking the coverage often ends badly. The Packers drafted a guy a few years ago that could punt it real far and spent all their time trying to teach him to punt it real high, which led to him being very inconsistent and getting released. 

Plus being an at least average holder is an important part of the position that should be fresh in Packer fans minds and main reason the punter they have now has the job. 

14 hours ago, Striker said:

I suspect the Lions will win the division.

17 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I suspect the Lions will win the division.

I don't know... Their schedule was pretty split with the good teams early and bad teams late. 

Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lions, Vikings, and Packers all around 9-11 wins in a pretty tight race.

1 hour ago, Uffdaswede said:

It was discussed in the NFL News and Notes. Didn't see a bunch of negativity towards the idea of bringing him in. 

16 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I don't know... Their schedule was pretty split with the good teams early and bad teams late. 

Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lions, Vikings, and Packers all around 9-11 wins in a pretty tight race.

I don't see either us or the Vikes winning 9 games this year.  I do think our future is a hell of lot brighter than MN's.