Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

Unpopular opinion ...

The way things have worked out, it looks like we were 100% to keep Rodgers for 2022 and go for it one more year.

It looks like we have relatively speaking got the cap hits out the way in one go and come out the other side with a young potentially dynamic team going forward. This wasn't a 'going for it' year so the 40m doesn't really matter. I would have hated it if we had pushed it all forward and it was an ongoing issue.

Obviously the 2022 year was a bust.  But Love could fail, we might be another 15 years before we get another shot. We had HOF QB coming off a MVP season. Given the way things have worked out, we were 100% right to give it another shot.

I think saying “100% right” is the issue here. I think Brian and the Packers have objectively great point in favor of what they did and how they handle the situation.

But to say anything is 100%… is hyperbole.

If you were able to somehow know with certainty that GB could get 3 1st rounders for Rodgers from the Broncos last off-season instead of what they got this off-season… given the results, was it still 100% right to try to go for it again?

Fact is in the moment we can all understand the choices that were made. I said earlier this offseason… you need to understand too these are humans. It’s easy to be a fan and say oh trade him get the best value, blah blah blah.

Sure… but you aren’t on the clock, it’s not your job, it’s not your kids in the local Wisconsin schools, it’s not your wife going out in the local community getting things for the family interacting with the general public which obviously has many Packer fans, etc.

The one thing for the article that I think Rodgers gets right is GB and Brian were waiting for an out. This off-season was the best they could hope for. So they took it. All of those things I mentioned are easier because Rodgers played poorly… Rodgers behavior, etc

Edited by Green19

2 hours ago, pgwingman said:

Agree with your point, but I think it should be phrased like that. Obviously people just the process based on its outcome, but given what was known at the time, it was completely reasonable to keep Rodgers for one more run (which justified the 2022 extension). The built in assumption was that Rodgers would take the money and decide that playing with rookies wasn't all that bad after all. That assumption fell short.

It wasn't reasonable. He couldn't get it done in the playoffs and was too expensive. Plus, his presence got in the way of team ball.

It was 100% obvious to ship him. I'm glad we did this year, but this year he was damaged goods. Last year he was 3 1s+.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Green19 said:

Matt on with Wilde and Taush for more details. Please also forgive Wilde… as he is dead set on covering for Rodgers and LaFluer and ****ting on Jordan.

He is going to die on that hill that LaFluer didn’t want Jordan and that the KC game is more on Jordan than game plan.

Wilde is king of the ARDS fanclub. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

It will never cease to amaze me how people think it would’ve been the right decision to trade Aaron after two straight MVP seasons. Wild, wild stuff 

It never amazes me how people think he was going to get us back to the Super Bowl given how many times he came up small in the playoffs. It was one thing, before he turned into a drama queen, to keep him. It would have been an easy decision to do so at any point once he did. 

The Patriots gave Brady an out and he went and won a Super Bowl with another team, no one was fired in NE. 

Like I said, if Love doesn't lose his rookie year of development due to COVID, last year before the extension was the LATEST we should have shipped him away. I would have never given him an extension either. It was a bad move with 2 years left on a deal. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

It never amazes me how people think he was going to get us back to the Super Bowl given how many times he came up small in the playoffs. It was one thing, before he turned into a drama queen, to keep him. It would have been an easy decision to do so at any point once he did. 

The Patriots gave Brady an out and he went and won a Super Bowl with another team, no one was fired in NE. 

Like I said, if Love doesn't lose his rookie year of development due to COVID, last year before the extension was the LATEST we should have shipped him away. I would have never given him an extension either. It was a bad move with 2 years left on a deal. 

Just because he didn’t have great games in the playoffs does not mean he wasn’t capable / more capable than other QBs of winning it 

5 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Just because he didn’t have great games in the playoffs does not mean he wasn’t capable / more capable than other QBs of winning it 

When you couple his inability in the playoffs with his diva attitude, the juice was no longer worth the squeeze with Rodgers. This is not hindsight on my part, I was on record saying ship him once he came out bitching two years ago after the 21 draft. 

In truth, I was for trading him long before that because he was not the player in the playoffs he was in the regular season. 

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

When you couple his inability in the playoffs with his diva attitude, the juice was no longer worth the squeeze with Rodgers. This is not hindsight on my part, I was on record saying ship him once he came out bitching two years ago after the 21 draft. 

In truth, I was for trading him long before that because he was not the player in the playoffs he was in the regular season. 

And that’s just ridiculous. It’s ridiculous. When you have legitimate shots at winning the SB you go for it. That’s all there is to it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

And that’s just ridiculous. It’s ridiculous. When you have legitimate shots at winning the SB you go for it. That’s all there is to it. 

We are just going to have to agree to disagree. 

Inigo Montoya Meme

Edited by Old Guy

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You understand that hindsight has proven those people to be right? 

really, to me hindsight has once again proven to be misleading, SF rambled for 250 yrds, keeping Rodgers on the bench, and we had a key injury and a bunch of dropped passes against Tampa, why is it that fans always seem to blame the QB for not being able to over come blunders from his team mates, normal I suppose to just blame the QB.

on topic, yes we should have traded Rodgers prior to last year, specially since we failed to keep Tae, why would we keep him, anyone can break in rookie receivers, seems obvious to me that the staff didn't trust Love to even do that.

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You understand that hindsight has proven those people to be right? 

Sure but you can't KNOW that ahead of time. Rodgers really mailed it in once he felt he had control plus the broken thumb, losing Gary, ect... It really didn't have to go that way. Knowing what they knew at the time, you really have to bet on the upside.

5 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Sure but you can't KNOW that ahead of time. Rodgers really mailed it in once he felt he had control plus the broken thumb, losing Gary, ect... It really didn't have to go that way. Knowing what they knew at the time, you really have to bet on the upside.

I knew it was over when the Packers snoozed their way thru the playoff game against the 49ers.  They lost any hope of being a serious super bowl contender when Adams was traded away.  At that point they should have shipped Aaron off to Denver for a haul and rolled with Love.  Signing Aaron to a new deal was a big blunder. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, spilltray said:

We had history with this kind of behavior in Favre. We absolutely should have known this ahead of time. Many of us here did know this ahead of time, and were calling for him to be traded. 

The difference is you think he had control starting last year. He had control when he called out the organization for not extending him two years ago and Gute surrendered to his wishes. It was over and after we traded Adams, only a fool would think it was going to go well last year. That Rodgers would buy into three rookie WR's getting meaningful snaps. 

Edited by Old Guy