Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, Uffdaswede said:

That has got to be a little embarrassing to a GM, right? Like driving down the parade route with a flat tire on the convertible carrying the Grass Fed Beef Princess. "Fwop. Fwop. Fwop." Everybody knows your problem and you can't fix it until next year's parade.

It's called: cut the cord. That's what the Packers are doing. Surgically.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

It's called: cut the cord. That's what the Packers are doing. Surgically.

Sure. And we all know what Gutey was trying to finesse with that horrible contract and a star that hated him. Reasons upon reasons led to this point--risk-taking stuff, but not really stupidity or ineptitude. But, let's be honest, as Packer fans we are rarely in a bad cap position and have had the luxury of laughing like Nelson from the Simpson's at other teams' cap woes. Now it's us going "Fwop...fwop...fwop..." down the road with a $40M dead cap off of one player.

3 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Sure. And we all know what Gutey was trying to finesse with that horrible contract and a star that hated him. Reasons upon reasons led to this point--risk-taking stuff, but not really stupidity or ineptitude. But, let's be honest, as Packer fans we are rarely in a bad cap position and have had the luxury of laughing like Nelson from the Simpson's at other teams' cap woes. Now it's us going "Fwop...fwop...fwop..." down the road with a $40M dead cap off of one player.

We were in cap trouble for a number of reasons - not just ARs extension.
I'm fine with the one year hit. Cleans things up quick and we can move on fiscally.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Not embarrassing at all… he traded that flat tire for a high second this year and most likely 1st rounder next year.

How many GMs in the league would be willing to pay 40 million on their books for a 1st and 2nd?

NHL GMs do this all the time… they take on bad contracts for futures.

Brian is just doing this in the NFL.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

THAT is an interesting flip of perspective!

They paid to control the asset… so we can all complain about when they traded Rodgers and their return on investment.

But from a pure business standpoint, in a year were they are at best in a holding pattern to see where the roster stands with Love… in that “holding year” they are paying for future assets.

So again… if you could just pay cap space for draft picks. What would be the going rate? 40 million for a 1st and 2nd doesn’t seem like an over pay, at least to me.

So pure asset management Brian is doing well. Now if Luke Musgrave sucks and the 1st is a bust…. We can complain about Brian not maximizing the assets he did so well to create.

Edited by Green19
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

Not embarrassing at all… he traded that flat tire for a high second this year and most likely 1st rounder next year.

How many GMs in the league would be willing to pay 40 million on their books for a 1st and 2nd?

NHL GMs do this all the time… they take on bad contracts for futures.

Brian is just doing this in the NFL.

I see it much the same way. Ultimately, the contract was a liability but I understand the context under which it was signed. Taking the new reality to start this year, Gute got the old regime out, took the sunk cost in stride, and got the assets that hopefully turn into real cornerstones for the future. We’ll see how it resolves but so far, the situation is moving along  nicely. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 2

I really was good in my mind with a Packers-Jets SB as long as the Packers won, even though it meant a low 1st rnd pick.    Rodgers has firmly swung me to the camp that wants him to play the minimum number of snaps needed, his season to flame out and our Jets pick to end up top of 1st rnd

• Like 1

Matt on with Wilde and Taush for more details. Please also forgive Wilde… as he is dead set on covering for Rodgers and LaFluer and ****ting on Jordan.

He is going to die on that hill that LaFluer didn’t want Jordan and that the KC game is more on Jordan than game plan.

Unpopular opinion ...

The way things have worked out, it looks like we were 100% to keep Rodgers for 2022 and go for it one more year.

It looks like we have relatively speaking got the cap hits out the way in one go and come out the other side with a young potentially dynamic team going forward. This wasn't a 'going for it' year so the 40m doesn't really matter. I would have hated it if we had pushed it all forward and it was an ongoing issue.

Obviously the 2022 year was a bust.  But Love could fail, we might be another 15 years before we get another shot. We had HOF QB coming off a MVP season. Given the way things have worked out, we were 100% right to give it another shot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

Unpopular opinion ...

The way things had worked out up to that point, it looks like we were 100% to keep Rodgers for 2022 and go for it one more year.

It looks like we have relatively speaking got the cap hits out the way in one go and come out the other side with a young potentially dynamic team going forward. This wasn't a 'going for it' year so the 40m doesn't really matter. I would have hated it if we had pushed it all forward and it was an ongoing issue.

Obviously the 2022 year was a bust.  But Love could fail, we might be another 15 years before we get another shot. We had HOF QB coming off a MVP season. Given the way things have worked out, we were 100% right to give it another shot.

Agree with your point, but I think it should be phrased like that. Obviously people just the process based on its outcome, but given what was known at the time, it was completely reasonable to keep Rodgers for one more run (which justified the 2022 extension). The built in assumption was that Rodgers would take the money and decide that playing with rookies wasn't all that bad after all. That assumption fell short.