Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

16 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Not convinced he as a great offensive line at all. In fact, they are very thin on the o-line and need a guy like Mekhi Beckton to really show he's going to be elite. Not sure that happens. They are counting on a 37-year-old LT as well. 

I just don't see that o-line as great.  

Um... I don't think BP was saying the Jets have a great OL

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Um... I don't think BP was saying the Jets have a great OL

Yes, I missed/ignored the NOT in his last line. Thanks for correcting that. 

I just read Greg Jennings is predicting the Jets start out 1-5. LOL 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Sometimes that’s the best play, sometimes not. I’m not sure that quality is necessarily a bad one

Eh, I think he saw Favre's willingness to heave it up as a minus and decided he would NOT be that guy. 

I feel like he and Favre were at opposite ends of the "caution" spectrum, and it was to the detriment of both of them. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Eh, I think he saw Favre's willingness to heave it up as a minus and decided he would NOT be that guy. 

I feel like he and Favre were at opposite ends of the "caution" spectrum, and it was to the detriment of both of them. 

Perfectly summed up right there. 

Favre was careless with the ball over the middle and Rodgers just wouldn't go there. 

Hopefully, Love is right in the middle (pun intended) of both of them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Yes, I missed/ignored the NOT in his last line. Thanks for correcting that. 

I just read Greg Jennings is predicting the Jets start out 1-5. LOL 

The Greg Jennings redemption arc begins...

• Like 5

The "quality of WRs" argument for not throwing over the middle of the field is bull****. I don't see the other 31 QBs completely avoiding 1/3 of the field on a weekly basis because they don't "trust their guys." You telling me that every other team in the league has a quality WR room? Or is Aaron just a risk adverse asinine child that expects perfection despite not being perfect himself and cares about his precious TD-INT ratio more than the team?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

The "quality of WRs" argument for not throwing over the middle of the field is bull****. I don't see the other 31 QBs completely avoiding 1/3 of the field on a weekly basis because they don't "trust their guys." You telling me that every other team in the league has a quality WR room? Or is Aaron just a risk adverse asinine child that expects perfection despite not being perfect himself and cares about his precious TD-INT ratio more than the team?

It's worth noting that he threw a lot of crossing routes short and intermediate to Davante during the last couple of seasons they were together, though never the really deep stuff. So to an extent, he'll reach the middle provided an excellent receiver is on hand(or Cobb in a pinch). I'd say the ratio between AR and the WR right now is about 85/15. In his prime it would've been 40/60.

On 7/14/2023 at 5:12 PM, Old Guy said:

Donald's deal is now less per year average than Simmons and Q Williams. 

I always look at guaranteed dollars.

Donald had 95M guaranteed.  

Simmons had 59.3M guaranteed.  62.4% of Donald.

Williams had 66M guaranteed.  69.4% of Donald.

But if you wish to look at average contract value, I get it.

Point is the same, Kenny is not in that category.  We both know that.

On 7/15/2023 at 6:07 PM, Mr Bad Example said:

I'll dare to say this...

Favre played to win.  Rodgers played not to lose.  At least that is how I viewed Rodgers game the last 5-7 seasons.  

Very well could be that Rodgers was doing math over time and knew that turnovers lost games, too.  Favre lived in the moment.

Either way, if Rodgers plays not to lose with the Jets, that defense should win him games.  We are going to see what Rodgers can do with a defensive minded HC and legit defense around him.  He's going to have to do more with less concerning the line, but I don't think that will be an issue for him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Why can't we do both? Doesn't seem like too much of a task to evaluate who can be a part of next contending team and win games.

Best way for this team to learn and grow is to be "contending", right?  No reason they can't do both in this NFC.  Well, actually, I'm wrong, Barry could be the reason they cannot do.

31 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Best way for this team to learn and grow is to be "contending", right?  No reason they can't do both in this NFC.  Well, actually, I'm wrong, Barry could be the reason they cannot do.

Keeping Barry seems like a huge mistake still.  I look at 2023 is a bit of a retool/rebuilding year.  It would have made sense to retool the defensive coaching staff and try to get this entire operation ready to seriously contend in 2024.  Barry is probably the worst DC in football given his current and past track record.  He's a terrible coordinator and it never makes sense to keep bad coaches in place.  There were also a ton of potential upgrades available this offseason and it seems like LaFleur dropped the ball.  He and his coaching staff have made a lot of questionable decisions .. maybe time for some accountability.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'll dare to say this...

Favre played to win.  Rodgers played not to lose.  At least that is how I viewed Rodgers game the last 5-7 seasons.  

Very well could be that Rodgers was doing math over time and knew that turnovers lost games, too.  Favre lived in the moment.

Either way, if Rodgers plays not to lose with the Jets, that defense should win him games.  We are going to see what Rodgers can do with a defensive minded HC and legit defense around him.  He's going to have to do more with less concerning the line, but I don't think that will be an issue for him.

Agreed on Rodgers playing not to lose in the playoffs.  That loss to the 49'ers was an abomination.  The 4th quarter of the Tampa playoff loss was despicable on offense.  As you say Ol' Rodg tightened up like a snare drum instead of going for the kill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Why can't we do both? Doesn't seem like too much of a task to evaluate who can be a part of next contending team and win games.

whats that guy think happens in OTA's minni camps and training camp and PS games, thats when we find out who fits into what we plan to do.

Guty, Lafleur, Murphy and everyone else in our FO isn't going to use this season to evaluate talent, at least no more then they normally do.

I'am also convinced that a lot of thought went into what was wrong with last years defense, the conclusion was to keep Barry and fire Gray, my question is what where the biggest complaints with last years defense (last forever years actually)? coverage problems, lack of communication amongst our DB's, to many broken plays, yes we lost Gary and the pass rush declined, and as usual we couldn't stop the run, not discounting that, or that lack of pass rush contributed to poor coverage, but our DB's have complained (and we saw it) that communication and terminology where the main culprit concerning our poor coverage at times, hopefully now that changes with the replacement of Gray.