Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

5 minutes ago, R T said:

It will take about 27 minutes for some to come up with the next guy 'that just has to go'. Got to have someone to hate on.  

It's not about hate. It's about watching your TV and realizing there are certain guys who simply aren't NFL talent. I have nothing against Hanson. He's just not a good NFL player. He's not a guy you want to have to count on and it was bad GMing to have him be one of the top 53 at any point. 

He's no longer a top 53 guy and I wish him the best of luck. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 12:44 PM, Old Guy said:

There is a huge advantage to drafting in the top 10 - 15. Throwing away multiple top 15 picks because you rush a quarterback into action that isn't ready is the worst use of capital in a capped league. 

I think the way that NFL teams actually think about it is that if you don't have a QB, you're not going to last long (as a coach, a GM, etc.) since the only way teams without good-enough QBs succeed is "they have incredible parts around the QB."

There's basically three ways to get a QB that work:
1) Draft a top prospect high and have that work out.
2) Get really lucky with a later guy (e.g. Brady, Wilson).
3) Draft a guy with tools who needs work and put the work in to make a real QB out of him.

2 is fundamentally unreliable.  1 is only available if you can pick that high.  3 is rare because teams don't usually have the time to sit a guy.  So teams get into a loop doing #1 over and over again.

18 hours ago, R T said:

It will take about 27 minutes for some to come up with the next guy 'that just has to go'. Got to have someone to hate on.  

Hmmm.  Let me think in this, because you are right.

I'll put these guys up for nomination.  In no particular order....Savage.  Patrick Taylor.  Deguara. Carlson.  Hollins.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'll put these guys up for nomination.  In no particular order....Savage.  Patrick Taylor.  Deguara. Carlson.  Hollins.

Why those two? PT is a staple on special teams. Hollins was picked up off waivers and produced last year. 

Is this post sarcasm or are you serious? 

Savage is going to be our best safety this year. I get it, he was a FRP but he is going to be our best safety. 

Deguara a definite disappointment. Let's see if it was Rodgers or LOFT. 

Carlson has been atrocious, but let's see what happens when the games count. I'm hoping having one holder will help, but am skeptical. 

Edited by Old Guy

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You are too late; they are off and running with Carlson already. We should be getting the 'he is not an NFL kicker' and 'it's just bad GMing for him to ever be on a final 53' takes very soon.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, R T said:

You are too late; they are off and running with Carlson already. We should be getting the 'he is not an NFL kicker' and 'it's just bad GMing for him to ever be on a final 53' takes very soon.   

Is it normal for rookie kickers to have trouble making extra points? I did see where Moody is struggling with the 49ers in camp as well. 

14 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Why those two? PT is a staple on special teams. Hollins was picked up off waivers and produced last year. 

Is this post sarcasm or are you serious? 

Savage is going to be our best safety this year. I get it, he was a FRP but he is going to be our best safety. 

Deguara a definite disappointment. Let's see if it was Rodgers or LOFT. 

Carlson has been atrocious, but let's see what happens when the games count. I'm hoping having one holder will help, but am skeptical. 

Hollins.  Because there's already been a few pages of him vs. Cox.  

Taylor.   Because we've had multiple pages on the 3rd RB.  Plus we have other kids behind him who have produced better in pre-season.

Savage.  Because he's been a large disappointment.  Saying he's our best safety is like saying someone is the smartest kid in special ed class.

Deguara.  Because he's a poor 3rd round pick when looking at passing production.

Carlson.  Because he's not reliable.  And that very well may cost us a game or two.  (He's got my vote as the new whipping boy.)