Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Interesting point......

So, when an offensive lineman totally blows an assignment the quarterbacks stats suffer? If you wanted to make it where a quarterback holds the ball longer than 3 seconds, I'd sort of understand that. There are times where the quarterback has no fault in a sack. It's also why it's a team game and individual stats are so misleading. One person's success is so dependent on the other 10 guys on the field doing their job. 

Are they going to go back through history and retroactively deduct passing yards from quarterbacks? 

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

So, when an offensive lineman totally blows an assignment the quarterbacks stats suffer? If you wanted to make it where a quarterback holds the ball longer than 3 seconds, I'd sort of understand that. There are times where the quarterback has no fault in a sack. It's also why it's a team game and individual stats are so misleading. One person's success is so dependent on the other 10 guys on the field doing their job. 

Are they going to go back through history and retroactively deduct passing yards from quarterbacks? 

Rules change continually and they dont go back and alter past records/stats etc.

It's an interesting idea.

The reason most people object because its viewed as penalizing the QB (individually) - say for bad offensive line play (or whatever). But, if you consider passing yards more as a team statistic - reflecting overall offensive success - then deducting sack yards makes sense.

It's a QB league - so this will never happen IMO - but I think it's interesting.

55 minutes ago, Leader said:

Rules change continually and they dont go back and alter past records/stats etc.

It's an interesting idea.

The reason most people object because its viewed as penalizing the QB (individually) - say for bad offensive line play (or whatever). But, if you consider passing yards more as a team statistic - reflecting overall offensive success - then deducting sack yards makes sense.

It's a QB league - so this will never happen IMO - but I think it's interesting.

I do believe, not 100% sure, that sack yardage comes off the teams overall passing yards. 

• Like 1

I've been looking at a couple of 2024 mock drafts recently. Two things strike me. One is how high they have Packers drafting (and I'm not talking about the pick from the Jets), like between pick 3 and 8........... and the other is how much drafters seem to want to give the Packers another offensive tackle.

As for the tackle, I understand it is a premium position pick, but even if Bakhtiari leaves after 2023, the Packers are still ok at tackle, with Walker, Tom and Nijman (if he is kept) and still have Tenuta and Jones back as developmental guys.

Even though it is seriously early to start looking at what the Packers need we can see weaknesses right now at Safety, Inside Linebacker and maybe Guard, none of which are usually considered premium positions.

So what would you like to do with your (I'm assuming) two first round picks and second rounder (put the Packers own pick wherever you like) ? There are a good few DTs which might interest the Packers early, but the best ILBs, Safeties and Guards seem like top of round two prospects. Do we break years of tradition and take a round one WR ?

6 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I've been looking at a couple of 2024 mock drafts recently. Two things strike me. One is how high they have Packers drafting (and I'm not talking about the pick from the Jets), like between pick 3 and 8........... and the other is how much drafters seem to want to give the Packers another offensive tackle.

As for the tackle, I understand it is a premium position pick, but even if Bakhtiari leaves after 2023, the Packers are still ok at tackle, with Walker, Tom and Nijman (if he is kept) and still have Tenuta and Jones back as developmental guys.

Even though it is seriously early to start looking at what the Packers need we can see weaknesses right now at Safety, Inside Linebacker and maybe Guard, none of which are usually considered premium positions.

So what would you like to do with your (I'm assuming) two first round picks and second rounder (put the Packers own pick wherever you like) ? There are a good few DTs which might interest the Packers early, but the best ILBs, Safeties and Guards seem like top of round two prospects. Do we break years of tradition and take a round one WR ?

They need to rebuild the safety room for sure.  It's a bad group right now.  I'd say the top three picks should consist of S, OL and maybe DL. 

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

IMHO, If a premium T is there, you take him. No brainer. Second round I'd be looking at S. 

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Build the DL. I don't see us giving Clark a 3rd contract and Wyatt is still unproven. 

• Like 1