Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

19 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I wonder if Mark Murphy wasn’t more of a buffer between Rodgers and Gutey than he was someone who wanted to be more involved in football operations. After all, Gutey was not Rodgers’ choice to be GM, and he already had thrown a stink about Ball potentially being hired for it. I wouldn’t be surprised if the structure goes back to the way it used to be when Murphy retires. Part of me wonders if it hasn’t already informally gone that way. 

I think McCarthy had a big part in that structure change.

2 hours ago, Isherwood said:

I wonder if Mark Murphy wasn’t more of a buffer between Rodgers and Gutey than he was someone who wanted to be more involved in football operations. After all, Gutey was not Rodgers’ choice to be GM, and he already had thrown a stink about Ball potentially being hired for it. I wouldn’t be surprised if the structure goes back to the way it used to be when Murphy retires. Part of me wonders if it hasn’t already informally gone that way. 

The whole point of the current hierarchy was so that nobody's voice was ignored.  McCarthy felt that his opinions were being ignored under TT.  IIRC, it was specifically with regards to being active in free agency to patch holes, and often relying on young players with limited experience rather than signing veterans to fill gaps.

11 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Go back and watch the game winning XP by the Packers.  The Saints DL (#90) grabs the towel from the pants of our long snapper and throws it at the ball.  How is that not a penalty?? Enforced on the kickoff?

Saints were so dejected they were throwing in the towel. I'll see myself out.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Go back and watch the game winning XP by the Packers.  The Saints DL (#90) grabs the towel from the pants of our long snapper and throws it at the ball.  How is that not a penalty?? Enforced on the kickoff?

I brought this up in the postgame thread.  I can't see how that's not a fine because guys will do it more often if it's not.  I read it would have been a penalty if it had hit the ball. Wheter or not it hits the ball it can obviously affect operation of the kicker which would be even more compromised on a FG.  Bush league stuff and should be penalized.

31 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Saints were waving the white flag. 

3 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I 100% don't think he was trying to do that. Think his hand just got caught up on the towel and then flew up as he was reaching to block the kick. 

I think he absolutely was trying to do it but that should be immaterial. If you do that, it should be a penalty and a fine. You can’t use equipment to block a kick, intentionally or otherwise. 

54 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He 100% does it on purpose ha

I mean I guess it's possible but lining up and thinking, "I'll intentionally just reach over, pull the towel out of the center's pants, and then throw it at the football." would be the most overly complicated and stupidest thought process in the history of attempting to block FGs. 🤷‍♂️

14 hours ago, Isherwood said:

Yeah, it could well be true where the power to hire and fire the coach was quietly passed over to Gute once he proved he could handle the GM job - it could be done with no publicity  or fanfare so fans have no idea it happened. Almost no fans have access to inner-circle thinking, so we don't really even know if the system still is what it was when created Jan 7-8, 2018.

Like you say the structure could change again after Murphy retires (if it hasn't already), depending on the power a now-established Gute wields - and what the new CEO wants.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

7 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

I mean I guess it's possible but lining up and thinking, "I'll intentionally just reach over, pull the towel out of the center's pants, and then throw it at the football." would be the most overly complicated and stupidest thought process in the history of attempting to block FGs. 🤷‍♂️

2nd degree towel throw. In the passion of the moment.

Edited by HighCalebR